Vinny Reviews

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By DoctorWelch

I was browsing through some random games on GB, and I came across one that Vinny reviewed (Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit...I have no idea why I was looking at that page...), and I started wondering what the last game he reviewed was. Does anyone know? Was it recent?

Also, I know Vinny, Drew, and Dave are always extremely busy with doing the vital stuff that keeps the site up and spitting out content, but do you wish we saw more reviews from these guys? I don't mean they have to start churning stuff out or anything, but every now and then I'd like to see their unique perspective on certain games.

So, what do you guys think? More reviews from these guys, or fine the way it is?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@DoctorWelch said:

I was browsing through some random games on GB, and I came across one that Vinny reviewed (Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit...I have no idea why I was looking at that page...), and I started wondering what the last game he reviewed was. Does anyone know? Was it recent?

Also, I know Vinny, Drew, and Dave are always extremely busy with doing the vital stuff that keeps the site up and spitting out content, but do you wish we saw more reviews from these guys? I don't mean they have to start churning stuff out or anything, but every now and then I'd like to see their unique perspective on certain games.

So, what do you guys think? More reviews from these guys, or fine the way it is?

As long as they keep vinny in quicklooks I am happy. Speaking of which. There is a very high Vinny content in the last month and I love it. 
Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Zippedbinders

Last one I remember from Vinny was Crack in Time. I'd love some Dave or Drew reviews as well.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Andorski

I never even look at the reviews on Giant Bomb. The content that interest me here are the videos.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By mosespippy

In the thread about the 500th review and the breakdown of the review stats it showed that the last game Vinny reviewed was in 2009. I don't remember what it was. I think he's only done a handfull of reviews, maybe less than ten.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By ZombiePie

@Zippedbinders said:

Last one I remember from Vinny was Crack in Time. I'd love some Dave or Drew reviews as well.

Oh what was the name of that puzzle game that he gave three stars for being "too fuzzy mittens?" That may have been his last.

Either way Vinny makes almost every livestream you watch amazing, and I will take Vinny shenanigans during TNTs over reviews by him any day.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DoctorWelch

@The_Laughing_Man: Yeah, Vinny in Quick Looks is always awesome.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By HellBrendy

Quick Look Vinny is best Vinny.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By Yummylee

Crack in Time was his last review I think. It's definitely been a while, but Vinny's the sort of character who fits in best in everything else that surrounds the reviews; bombcasts, QL's, live events and so forth. He has to be free to just say whatever nonsense pops into his head, rather than restricting himself to the guidelines of a written review. Even his video reviews are surprisingly dry when you consider just who's on stage.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DoctorWelch

@ZombiePie said:

@Zippedbinders said:

Oh what was the name of that puzzle game that he gave three stars for being "too fuzzy mittens?" That may have been his last.

Either way Vinny makes almost every livestream you watch amazing, and I will take Vinny shenanigans during TNTs over reviews by him any day.

I agree. I would like a review from Vinny, but not if it cut into any of his ability to make videos awesome.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Animasta

drew reviews more games than vinny did; he reviewed the last couple dirt games at least. Maybe some others?

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#12  Edited By jacksukeru

I give him a 5/5.

Prime

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Petiew

Oh no, this thread reminded me of Drew's review picture.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RazielCuts

@Petiew:

It reminded me of Dave's -
DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DoctorWelch

@RazielCuts said:

@Petiew:

It reminded me of Dave's -

Easily the best review picture on Giant Bomb.

randyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By randyf

For me, listening to the Bombcast gives me a clear picture of what Vinny (and pretty much everyone else) thinks of most games and kind of eliminates the need to read most reviews. The problem is that he's been too busy to play as many games as he used to, so you don't hear his thoughts on a lot of games.

dvand987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dvand987

@Andorski: I'm the same way, one of the first real reviews I have read all the way through was Jeff's Halo 4 review. That was because I was unsure on the game still and wanted to read his thought more indepth than just listening to the cast or watching the video... I ended up buying it and was still disappointed despite the positive review.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By MildMolasses

I don't care if he reviews stuff, but I loved some of the news items that he posted. I would actually appreciate some more written pieces on the site

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By alternate  Online

If you are not a writer by profession I imagine doing one off reviews takes an age - both in getting your thoughts down on paper and then others editing it in to a fit state to be published. Unless Dave, Drew or Vinny really enjoy the process it seems their time could be more productively used elsewhere.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Phatmac

It's never happening due to him having a kid and being more busy then he used to be. The guy sounds worn out on QL so give him a break.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Zippedbinders

@ZombiePie said:

@Zippedbinders said:

Oh absolutely. In a perfect world we could have both, but I wouldn't trade Vinny livestream wizardry for anything.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#22  Edited By Marino  Staff
DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DoctorWelch

@Marino said:

@DoctorWelch Vinny's last review was indeed A Crack in Time, which was over 3 years ago now. Here's the data I did a few months back when we hit 500 reviews. http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/by-the-numbers-500-reviews-on-giant-bomb/551434/

Cool, thanks. I guess I didn't realize it was that long ago that he last reviewed something. I guess they just decided his time was much better spent worrying about production and just voicing his opinions on the bombcast rather than taking the time to write reviews.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#24  Edited By Marino  Staff

@DoctorWelch said:

@Marino said:

@DoctorWelch Vinny's last review was indeed A Crack in Time, which was over 3 years ago now. Here's the data I did a few months back when we hit 500 reviews. http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion/30/by-the-numbers-500-reviews-on-giant-bomb/551434/

Cool, thanks. I guess I didn't realize it was that long ago that he last reviewed something. I guess they just decided his time was much better spent worrying about production and just voicing his opinions on the bombcast rather than taking the time to write reviews.

Yeah. That's pretty much it. When I talked to Vinny at PAX East 2011, I told him that I missed his reviews because, out of the GB dudes, I felt like his playing style (i.e. obsessive compulsive completionist) most closely resembled my own. He thanked me andbasically told me that he was too busy at that point (and probably more now). But, as you mentioned, he generally talks the most in the "what have you been playing" segment on the Bombcast, so I feel that makes up for it mostly.