Walkthroughs / Guides - Do you use them?

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mac_n_nina

I was going to make this a poll, but I'm against polls since most users tend not to add any reasoning behind their one word answers.

I like walkthroughs and I use them for most games that I play. I don't use them because I don't know where to go or what to do, I use them so that I don't miss any of the collectibles because chances are I won't replay the game so I like to complete the game 100% my first play through.

upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By upwarDBound

I only use walkthroughs if I get stuck, though that happens rarely with modern games. I've bought guides in the past to find all the collectibles though.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Hizang

If I get really stuck in terms of a puzzle then yes, if its in some kind of combat situation then no.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iam3green

i use them when i get stuck. a simple google finds a guide on how to do something. i use it on oblivion from time to time because i don't remember where the quest is, and it doesn't give where the quest goes.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll google something if I get stuck, but I only really got stuck these days when going back to older games (It's weird how hard it is at times to find where you're supposed to go in old games when you have to hit buttons of the wall, but the graphics are so outdated that nothing on the wall clearly stands out at some interact-able) or in badly designed areas, or the most recent example being a glitch where a web was not rendering in Skyrim, so I seemingly couldn't walk down a small hallway to my next place, but there was actually an invisible web in front of me (that fixed upon re-loading the game) that I had to cut.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fajita_Jim

Nope, don't use them. If I can't figure a game out, then the devs bested me. 

I think the hardest time I've had with a game was beating Shiro in Guild Wars: Factions. I tried to beat him solo (just me and heroes/henchies) for almost 3 years before I finally figured it out. Never did look/ask for help because I'd ran through the whole game by myself up to that point and to admit defeat right at the last guy would have deflated my sense of accomplishment too much.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By amomjc

If I get stuck, yes. My gaming time is far too valuable to me to give it up on the same piece of game play for too long of time.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Dagbiker

I used to, when games where hard.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By nintendoeats

I don't think that I have needed a guide for a game in at least 5 years. If I was truly stuck I would refer to one, but that would reflect poorly upon the game.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By tourgen
@Dagbiker said:

I used to, when games where hard.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By bybeach

When I was younger I liked them to find the powerups, ammo etc etc. I've capped that activity, and for example in Deus Ex or Uncharted 3 I would not consult a walkthrough for those reasons at all. I feel better finding them on my own. I could tell during Uncharted 3 when I was missing treasure..but hey, and Deus EX HR i was proud of the kits I did find and I was plenty upgraded at the end anyways with also how I spent my money.

The only time now is if I am positively stuck, or just feeling I missed something hyper crucial..I'm almost ashamed now and avoid walkthroughs

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By SSully

The last guide I used was to find some riddler trophies in batman AA. Besides that I dont any use for them. I can beat any modern game without much help, so I dont really need them.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SeanFoster

I sometimes get stuck in RPGs and end up searching a Wiki. Failing that, I'll search Youtube.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

Only when I just can't figure how to move on to the next section or spent hours on a puzzle that got me frustrated. Most of the time it's something stupid that I've overlooked.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By crusader8463

I don't buy those stupid guides they sell at the store, and I will only use a walkthrough online if I'm completely stuck in a game or am sick of doing a boring quest that I need to get through to progress the story.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last guide I bought was for Twilight Princess, and I had already got everything in the game. I just wanted the poster. XD

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Rarely. I'll usually only do that if I don't know how to get an achievement or if I'm really stuck and I think not getting past a certain bit in a game could make me leave it for good.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By Commisar123

I use them whenever I need to really though I try really hard not too.

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mac_n_nina

IGN Guides + GameFAQS FTW!!!!

It would be nice if GB had a thing like IGN Guides.

Ya, I don't buy the guides at stores.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Contrarian

Better to read up than give up. Maybe it's like men and driving .... they just won't ask for directions.

I print up a walkthrough for every game I play. I look at it for only 2 reasons:

1. I am stuck and getting pissed off .... ready to quit the game.

2. I have finished a section (at least I think I have) and before I move on, I want to make sure I didn't miss something.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

I bought the Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword walkthrough.

I have never beaten a Zelda game without a walkthrough. Ever.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Addfwyn

Typically I glance at trophy guides (Usually via ps3trophies) just to be aware ahead of time if there's anything missable I need to worry about. That's about it

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dekkadekkadekka said:

I bought the Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword walkthrough.

I have never beaten a Zelda game without a walkthrough. Ever.

haha, stay proud

Owlhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Owlhead

I used to all the time, but anymore I'm only consulting the guide for finding secrets (Halo skulls) after i've already beaten the game once by myself.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I've bought a few guides for games, just for the artwork. I got the Windwaker one with the game and that was obviously never actually used.

I will sometimes use them for games, if I get really stuck, but as others have said, games these days generally don't require them.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

@masterpaperlink: I know I suck.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By zeforgotten

Nope, never.  
Reason: Because I don't need them

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#29  Edited By sammo21

it always amazed me how upon the rare chance I actually go into a Gamestop how many people pay money for guides when they all seem to have smart phones and probably internet access at home and on the phone itself. I know people's excuse is "I like to have it in front of me" but for $15-30 I think I would be fine with pulling it up on my phone...

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Still_I_Cry

Not usually.

usgrovers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By usgrovers

I sometimes buy guides for certain games (like Zelda) because my wife likes to follow along in the guide and ensure that I never miss a collectable.

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By dogbox

Sure, sometimes. These days I mostly play games on breaks from school work, and I don't care to spend that relatively brief amount of time stuck wandering around a room figuring out what to do. Usually not an issue though!

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By sopranosfan

same as most other posters. If I get stuck and can't figure it out I do and then I usually get mad at how long it took me to do it and how easy the solution usually was.