Want more Halo-style multiplayer repackagings for new consoles?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By bigsocrates  Online

Poll Want more Halo-style multiplayer repackagings for new consoles? (52 votes)

Yes 33%
No 21%
Only If they are good value (sub $60 for multiple games) 19%
Only if they add sexy luchadeers (male and female) to all the games, and you can flirt with them 27%

With the Halo Masterchief collection announced it is clear that this generation will not be devoid of the HD remakes that popped up from the last gen. Since 360/PS3 games were already in HD there seems to be less to gain than with PS2 era games, but there are resolution gains and tweaks that might make the games look better, and if nothing else it will enable people to put away the older machines. The Metro series is getting remade and people seem excited, and obviously Tomb Raider and Last of Us got/are getting the same treatment.

What I'd like to talk about now are multi-player focused compilations like the upcoming Halo games (which will also feature the single-player campaigns, but Halo has always been multi-player first.) There are several advantages to these kinds of compilations over single-player focused ones in my opinion. First, there's often a lot of value to multiplayer even years after release, and quickly being to drop in for 20 minutes of quick shooting sounds fun. Secondly, while you can still enjoy singleplayer games on their original consoles years after release you often can't with multiplayer games. The communities dry up, the servers get shut down, the games get hacked. Want to play Modern Warfare 2 on the 360 without dying constantly to hackers? You can't. The game functionally stopped existing far before server shut down.

I personally think this is an awesome idea, though not necessarily at $60. I'd love to be able to play the Gears series, Various Calls of Duty, and, of course, multiplayer Burnout again. If you don't want a silky smooth 1080p 60fps Burnout collection you are a monster. Most of them aren't even on Steam. Gaming gets better over time but there are lots of great old games out there, some that would be even better with a bigger, more robust multiplayer community. I say bring on the compilations. I promise to not even call it a money grubbing cash grab if you promise to take me back to (Burnout) Paradise.

• 
GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By GunstarRed

I don't know. On one hand I kinda hate the idea of rereleasing the same old games on new systems, but there's also a part of me that's a little sad at certain things like Horde mode in Gears 2/3 not existing at some point in the future for everyone to play. Very few series deserve this treatment, but if done correctly like the Halo set seems to be, it could be ok.

Gears, Mass Effect and Uncharted seem like good choices to get this treatment. I'd put money on on a Gears collection happening close the the new game coming out.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I really wish Unreal Championship 2 would get remade. I remember a couple years after 360 came out guys from Epic wanted to port it over with new content but Microsoft didn't want to.

Also, include the first Unreal Championship (or rather UT2004).

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why can't I pick both Yes and Luchadeer.

And yeah, I feel like I only want it for a few games, but like the HD Collection trend on PS3/360, it is nice to know that these games are still available, they let me play a lot of PS2 games I missed out on.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

Yes, but so far only Mass Effect comes to mind. I wouldn't mind an updated version of all three games on a new console.

Maybe other publishers are having the same problem with this that Naughty Dog did with Last of us. Not sure which show it was on, but one of the E3 podcasts had a guy from ND on, and he talked about how they ran into all new sets of problems translating something that used to run in a single thread(?) to a multi-thread machine.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be stoked for a GOW pack with all the maps.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

There weren't a whole lot of totally worthwhile franchises last gen. There's Halo, there's Gears (might be cool to get some of the control upgrades in Gears 1), there's Uncharted, there's Mass Effect. I feel like there are relatively few people who actually care about the entirety of the other franchises that came out, like Killzone & Resistance. I guess an HD upgrade of those would be interesting but probably wouldn't be a huge seller for Sony.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Zereta

As someone who has never owned a Playstation before this, some sort of Resistance, Uncharted, Killzone and God of War collection would be great! Though I suspect that 3 of those 4 franchises will be brought out to the back and shot, so it's probably not going to happen.

I fully expect an Uncharted 1,2,3 + Golden Abyss collection in the Summer of 2015.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I would buy a collection of last gen's Assassin's Creed games.

Sniper26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zereta: Definitely this. Especially with how many people switched to different consoles this generation. A lot of my friends want to play all the Xbox exclusives and vice versa. If done right, I think it is a fantastic idea.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Yes, gimme a HD SOCOM 2 and touch nothing else in it.