What do you want the PS5 to look like...not what will it be...but what do you THINK you want?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Poll What do you want the PS5 to look like...not what will it be...but what do you THINK you want? (105 votes)

A 'slab' like the PS2 - rectangle w/ straigh side walls? 27%
A 'slab' rectangular Parallelogram like a PS4 - rectangle with a slant or rake on it 9%
A tower or column like a the XB Series X - Apple like computer motif 6%
Somethinmg roudned like teh PS3's, flattened elliptic cylinder on a base - curves accentuated 4%
An ITX PC case shaped, so like the slab except thicker - motif leaning heavily towards PC style case 9%
Don't care, just new looking, not shaped like any other PS console. 23%
Don't care...like I really don't care...just show me results 24%

With the controller revealed a week or two ago, the speculation of the consoles shape is under heavy speculation. We see lots of mockup, some practical and many fantastical. Some interesting takes on classic PS shapes from teh past, and some very dull utilitarian shapes we have seen before.

I think Sony will make something very PS2 like - a slab -that has its own very simple and clean design. I think without a doubt it will be two tone. White and a dark grey like teh controller. That will be the stocks primary color for launch. I also think that their intention is color or adornment will come from buying the wrap of your choice from any of the companies offering device wraps. I think Sony will very intentionally be offering a blank canvas, a form easy to wrap and a form that shows off the graphics of you choice well.

• 
ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm only concerned about the PS9's design. Anything other than the glass orb simply won't do.

Seriously though, I'm not too fussed with how it looks, as long as it offers something interesting to set it apart and isn't outright garish or ugly. The PS4 is a good example of what I'm hoping for: Simple, sleek, but just unique enough to not be boring.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Either like one of the most gaudy Alienware inspired designs; like a certain Cyberpower AMD pre-build that I wanted to buy back in 2014, or just add another stack onto the PS4 Pro.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#3 fisk0  Moderator

The PS2 wasn't just a slab! They actually used an old Atari design (Atari Falcon 030) for the PS2, so of course I hope they dig through all the design patents they have acquired over the years and use one of those for the PS5. Maybe Sony's old MSX designs?

No Caption Provided

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think the Xbox one X/S is the perfect shape and hope it looks something like that. I never liked the look of the PS4 or Pro

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Anything, but that rounded top PS3 that you can't put anything on top of. Preferably something new looking.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't matter at all to me, only interested in games and, to a lesser extent, features. I've plenty of room for it even if it's huge and/or awkward shaped with my setup and I don't care if it matches my other stuff so whatever's good.

Trondood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Honestly just hope it retains the pizza holder for.. reasons.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I want it to look exactly like the Xbox series X. That way, it confuses the hell out of everything!

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not bothered asthetically I just hope they make the usb slots easily accessible

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want it to look like iridescent chrome Moth about half a meter across it's wing span, suspended in mid air about chest high depending on it's current user. It will vibrate and emit a high frequency sound that will remind you of a child hood memory that you can just barely remember. The actual machine is the Moth's shadow. The chrome Moth is just an three dimensional illusion created by the shadow.

That or a beige 90's era PC.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I want it to also be a roomba

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want it to also be a roomba

No Caption Provided

My thought exactly....well, more like this robot maid...but sure a roomba.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Something as inconspicuous as possible. The original PS2 is still my favorite PlayStation as far as hardware design goes, so something in that direction would be nice. Oh, and as few lights as possible.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The more inconspicuous the better. I don't mind the controllers having a little style to them. I look at and interact with the console itself so rarely that it doesn't add much to my experience if it's flashy, it only has potential downsides if it clashes. It's hard for a black box to clash with other black boxes.

I don't see much difference in the PS2 and PS4. Both are flat on top, both stand on their sides. Yeah, the PS4 is deeper and a rhombus vs the rectangular PS2. Not a huge deal to me, although I wish the back of the PS4 went straight down.

Oh, and please no capacitive buttons.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I want it to look like one of those slabby external hard drives.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81l7C8kOMqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS2 like would be fine with me.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

I just hope it's on the smaller side, quiet, and black.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HAL 9000 but with Mark Cerny's voice.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Very thin, small and white. Like a sheet of paper folded in half.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I am starting to think it will be a slab like the PS2 or PS4. I think you will be a "reverse" ice cream sandwich color scheme. So, white case "sandwiching" a dark interior color section

I expect we will see FAR MORE ventilation hidden in creases and along the back. Possibly the word SONY or PLAYSTATION written with ventilation holes.

I'm thinking the power button will be a button, and it will be shaped like the PS logo that is pressable just like the controller logo is a button.

No Caption Provided

theuprightman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For some reason, I have had the image of a George Foreman Grill in the duel sense colour scheme of blue and white in my head.

No Caption Provided

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It will probably be a cube or a tower similar to the new Xbox, but if I had my choice its design would be closer to the Okama Gamesphere from 2001.

No Caption Provided

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always really liked this concept design. I'm sure it won't be that sleek though.

No Caption Provided

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@casepb: That looks like a kitchen scale =D

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This would NEVER be what ist looks like, to many expensive parts.

But, this would be awesome..

No Caption Provided

Analogue gauges, real buttons, solid snappy switches, and beefy knobs. Tons of space for cooling and fans.

This woudl be more realistic. Still cool and modern...nice metal shell...not plastic

No Caption Provided

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ethanielrain said:

I do like that~

I think a system with a metal front, top, and sides, like high-end sterios equipment, might just be a nice change. The back and bottom could be ABS plastic, but I think the brushed anodized aluminum or brushed steel could be a great look.

Equipment that is metal, just feels more premium. Sony will be looking for cost savings, so they won't do the above - but it would look so nice. Hell, I'd pay more of my PS5 that was brushed anodized aluminum. Like a Playstation 5 -Black Label Edition.