What games do you excel at?

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Inspired by the recent thread about what games you enjoy but are bad at, here's a place to celebrate your own skill or knowledge or expertise in games. I want to know what games you're really good at. And don't you dare say none of them! Even if you don't feel like you are, give us which games you're best at, or a more specific thing within video games you're really good at.

I guess my own answer would broardly be fps games. I've always had a knack for them, it always feels like I'm right at home when I play one. So things like finishing all the modern warfare era CoD games on veteran, or the mile high club, my K.D in the CoD games usually was around the 2.3 mark, I was always really good at Halo1/2/3, consistently getting top spot on my teams scorecard. A little more recent, I hover around the 3500 mark at Overwatch ranked, and I still am able to wreck most people at Apex Legends. I can certainly tell that my sheer ability to aim and track targets has gone down this past 10 years, but I think my knowledge and game sense makes up for it and helps keep me competative with the younger players.

So let's hear what you are best at. What's your specialty?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Efesell

I am very solid at rhythm games...of a specific style. Not the physical dexterity in something like a Rock Band but when it's time for quickly spotting and tracking and timing precise button presses I tend to do very well. Have a lot of fun going (most of the way) through Extreme on those Project Diva games.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I would put myself in the wholly competent category for most games, a heap of decidedly average, but if I had to pick one game to be my trump card I'd probably go something like Trials HD, just for the number of hours I put in. I managed a top 50 time on one track for the briefest moment, which might be one of my few proud leaderboard moments. In fact, games or modes that are really quick with one button restarts do hook me in so might be the types I get reasonably good at.

I am so uncompetitive though, I really just enjoy playing, so I tend to not really push myself to sometime break the skill wall in some games. Especially combative games like First and Third person shooters. I'm the person being dragged along by my teammates in PvP or Horde modes. So, I guess I also excel at human shielding and teaching the importance of reviving teammates.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#4 sweep  Moderator

I have played The Last Of Us 11 or 12 times to completion, including a few runs on the Grounded difficulty (it goes up Easy > Normal > Hard > Survivor > Grounded) which disables the detective vision and reduces the amount of weapons and ammo you get to almost nothing. I'm not at speedrun level (under 3 hours) but on a fresh Grounded non-NG+ save I can beat the game in about 6/7 hours (average is 10+ on Normal), going through the first several chapters without ever dying or firing a single shot. There's not many games I feel that comfortable with but for some reason TLoU just clicked (!!) with me.

Smeatbass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can 100% Metroid Prime in 1 hour, 29 minutes. That's my claim to fame.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

My friends and I TORE SHIT UP in Halo 3. We had a plan for every map and won a strong majority of the time.

Gears of War 2 was another. The lack of shotgun-rolling helped us do really well with cover mechanics.

...I was, like, top 3 on some of the Lollipop Chainsaw leaderboards...but don’t tell anyone.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By BoOzak

The THPS games. I was never very good at collecting all the shit in the levels but I was great at chaining together ridiculous combos.

I enjoy playing character action games a lot but things tend to fall apart when I get to the tougher difficulties. I can get through them but I dont look good doing it.

I did get gold in all the VR missions in Metal Gear Rising (including DLC) and beat all the bosses on hard without taking damage. (also including DLC)

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The Jackbox Party Pack games. If I had to play a game against Satan for my soul, it would probably be Fibbage.

I'm also pretty decent at anything that has the Batman combat. A big reason why I hated Shadow of Mordor was because the whole Nemesis system depended on you dying and I died maybe five times over the whole game, so I never got to see it do anything interesting. The big fight with your nemesis at the end was a complete wet fart, featuring some random orc who had killed me once eight hours earlier.

Granfalloons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rocket League (back when it launched, I'm probably not even considered decent now), and Splatoon 1. Didn't care for Splatoon 2 at all, the new maps were all single focal point grind-fests and that's not what I loved Splatoon 1 for.

OSail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OSail

After years of tank control adoration I'm very good at the first few Resident Evils. Resident Evil 3 (Playstation) is probably the game I am ridiculously great at, but the design having a few aspects of distinct randomness makes it a ton of fun even after 18 years of playing it. Things can still go wrong even in a perfect run, and that's brilliant.

I'm pretty grand at Jet Set Willy (ZX Spectrum) and tons of other Spectrum titles, and I can run through so many Megadrive games such as Chiki Chiki Boys, Home Alone (it's actually amazing!), Speedball 2, Chaos Engine. My only shame is that I used to be able to complete the Megadrive version of Alien 3 too, but that probably speaks a lot about how much of my life I wasted during my teenage years tbh...nowadays I lose all my continues on level 2/3 like everyone else.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anything Co-Op/team based, find it really easy to assess what everyone's doing/going to do and quickly finding and executing on a good way to help. I can punch well above my weight in any support role or MMO group.

imchardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By imchardo

Slow, stealthy, exploration focused RPG. Anything twitchy is right out of my league. I'm patient and thorough, those are my strengths.

Skyrim, Fallout, MGS5, Persona 5 are all games I thought I did well.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I tend to be great at games like Scrabble and Words with Friends. I consider it a mark of pride that I don't just spew random letters across the board in the latter game just to see what works and what doesn't. I'm not bad at trivia based games either.

In the Xbox 360 days, I was really good at Worms, and had a much higher win ratio than just about any other multiplayer game I've ever played. Some of the later versions have been harder for me to play thanks to smaller icons for the weapons, but that's okay. I had my moment for bragging rights.

I don't know if this qualifies as being "good" at them or if I'm just crazy for putting up with the anime bullshit, but I've managed to get deep into every Disgaea game, to the point where I know I could hit top levels if I cared to grind out the end games to that point. Same with most RPGs with a focus on grind (see - most the PS1/PS2 era of RPGs). Like I say, though, this isn't all that difficult and more of a patience thing.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resistance Avalon - it's a card game about lying and deduction with your friends. I'm great at lying in that game, which at a point made my partner wonder how I was so good at it.

AshuraG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hm, recently found my strong pursuit in music games and Bullethell Shooters...weird enough because I always felt like i would suck at it terribly.

Mansae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I excel in horror games and adventures hehe

Avatar image for rocketblast0063
rocketblast0063

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not better than good at (playing) any game. But I have the ability to dig down in the underlying mechanics, and at least be good at a theoretical level. Probably better suited as a modder, maker or watcher.
Would beat Dan in Red Alert 2 though, best of three.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By shivermetimbers

Walking Simulators

I'm actually serious and I only call them Walking Simulators because we lack a term for exploration narrative driven games. Your interaction with them is piecing together the plot and gitting gud at empathy.