What games were ruined for you by the music?

• 60 results
chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I wyuldn't say it ruined the game but Picross S 4 for the Switch was killing me with these certain notes that would play at points in the background music. Usually I'd keep the music on for ambiance but I couldn't stand it and played it on mute for the whole 40+ hours I've played so far.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can only think of Street Fighter 5, they took a strange approach with the music in that game, it feels like the design doc banned anything too exciting so there's a lot of sort of quieter background party music, there's a few stages like Brazil that try to amp things up a bit but it doesn't quite hit the mark, it also had music transitions which trigger depending on the stage of the fight, i believe low health maybe on the final round would trigger a really annoying loop that would repeat if someone didn't die fast enough, so even if you did like the music it would be interrupted anyway. The songs are alright by themselves but in game they feel a bit lost, i think they did amp it up a bit in Championship Edition.
I don't know if different people were involved but their previous game Street Fighter X Tekken had some fantastic music.

Side note, i don't like most of the music in sports games because i hate pop and hip hop, World Cup 98 is one exception.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Subnautica and Dragon Quest XI. I muted the music in Subnautica and it's, of course, a great game; the music just didn't fit at all. I also played through all of DQ XI for some fucking reason. That game actually had music that matched the game, in that the music was boring and flat.

BenSteele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By BenSteele

NASCAR sounds - and overall sound quality - got to me after awhile. The pops "horns" (who honks their horn in a a race?), the redneck, the announcer (I guess he was the real NASCAR announcer, blech) and the music combined to be pretty bad.."Fake" Hagar was actually preferable to me than a majority of the other SFX.

donutello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Spelunky

Yasha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even with the proper instrumentation, the music in DQ11 drove me absolutely fucking crazy. The melodies are always so bombastic, so over the top, and feel so tortured with how like flourishy they are. I liked some of the themes but the music is so high-key that it gets old on loop quickly.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Hard to think of a game that was "ruined by its music", but I have muted some games when the music gets repetitive, specially JRPG.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Final Fantasy IX. 8 and 7 had such great tunes. 7 more so than 8. But 9 just didnt have much going for it.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I had not considered that this would ever effect me until I started playing The Artful Escape. I can't stand real Bob Dylan, let alone the fake Bob Dylan that plays constantly in the beginning of this game. My understanding is that there's less of it as the game goes on. Can't wait to not have to here it anymore.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By jamesyfx

The music in death stranding was pretty awful.. LOW ROAR. Couldn't wait for it to be over whenever it played.

Not saying the game was 'ruined' by it, I just didnt like it.

Avatar image for irisedgestudios
IrisEdgeStudios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it has ever happened. If it's really bad, i just play the game muted.

Same