#1 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

Imagine: February 20th, instead of Sony announcing a new console (the PS4, a console that's more advanced than current generation consoles), a random publisher announces a console that has come out in the past. When this publisher (Nintendo, Sony, Sega, Atari...) announces this old console, everything about this already released, old console disappears from this world and we all forget it ever existed. Thus, it seems new. All the games that were released on this console in the past are rereleased in the same order they were originally released.

Basically, if you could relive an entire console generation as though it was new, which console would it be?

Me, the Gamecube. What I would give to replay Rebel Strike as though it was new, that game blew my mind.

#2 Posted by Bishna (334 posts) -

Would we be able to alter the course of the console generation? Also, would I be able to have a conversation with my past self? Will I be able to grow a proper beard?

If all of those conditions are met in the hypothetical, I would of course choose the SNES.

#3 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

@Bishna said:

Would we be able to alter the course of the console generation? Also, would I be able to have a conversation with my past self? Will I be able to grow a proper beard?

If all of those conditions are met in the hypothetical, I would of course choose the SNES.

Yes, this announcement would gift you the ability to grow a beard

#4 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5831 posts) -

PS2 because my favorite game (persona 3) is on it, along with a bunch of other great games.

#5 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4679 posts) -

@FancySoapsMan said:

PS2 because my favorite game (persona 3) is on it, along with a bunch of other great games.

I can't wait to play Persona 4. The prequel to the fighting game.

#6 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -

None. I loved the old consoles because of the time and place that they were played and the people I played them with. Released today who knows how much fun I would have with those same games.

#7 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2220 posts) -

SNES because I never had one as a kid and it had a lot of amazing first and third party games for it.

#8 Posted by gogosox82 (424 posts) -

I'd probably say the ps2 era. There just some AMAZING games that came out for the ps2.

#9 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -

SNES

My god would I be looking forward to a new and actually good Final Fantasy game

#10 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4352 posts) -

That's hard to think about when my nostalgia is getting in the way.

#11 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

That's like asking "if you were a unicorn, what would your favourite colour be?"

#12 Posted by buft (3318 posts) -

Ps2 Nothing really captured my heart the way that console did and so many freaking games, every week i would find something new and absolutely incredible

#13 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

...what? i'm going to bed.

#14 Posted by John1912 (1886 posts) -

This thread is completely pointless. I dont even understand....Are you high?

#15 Posted by Dalai (7031 posts) -

@nintendoeats said:

That's like asking "if you were a unicorn, what would your favourite colour be?"

Exactly. That makes no sense since colour is not even a word.

#16 Posted by probablytuna (3671 posts) -

I want to witness the launch of the SNES because I missed it.

#17 Posted by big_jon (5732 posts) -

SNES

#18 Posted by JasonR86 (9710 posts) -
#19 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

All of these dumb "what ifs" just to say "Gamecube?" Bleghh

#20 Posted by Milkman (16810 posts) -

I don't think I'm high enough for this thread.

#21 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -

I kinda thought about that before. What if Nintendo re-released the NES.

#22 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3408 posts) -

Only reason this could possibly happen is if hipsters ruled the world... fuck...

#23 Posted by nintendork666 (203 posts) -

@John1912 said:

This thread is completely pointless. I dont even understand....Are you high?

I'm high as hell, and even I don't understand this.

#24 Posted by Glottery (1280 posts) -

I...thought I understood the first message, but now I'm not sure anymore. At first I thought you meant that new consoles, like PS4, would turn-out to be as "powerful" as PS2. Thus, that would (hopefully) lead designers to focus on quality once again, instead of pretty visuals. That could actually be interesting turn of events...

Buuuut, if I were to answer in similiar fashion as few others, I would say experiencing PS2 from the very start could be amazing. Especially something like Ratchet & Clank trilogy. I played that 24/7 on PS3 and probably would've played it...25/8 on PS2 back in the days, or something.

Not high.

#25 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

not really sure i see what the point would be.

the previous gens still exist. picking up a gamepube or so retro console is pretty easy

having the choice between a brand new cutting edge piece of hardware AND having retro consoles is far more appealing.

choice!

#26 Posted by believer258 (11923 posts) -

That's a very convoluted way of asking me to tell you that the Super Nintendo and the PS2 are the best consoles ever released.