#1  Edited By ShinjiEx

Wrong -

No playback support for PS3 or PS2 & PS1 game discs

No playback support of Digital PSN Store content

No specific date of release or pricing

Did not show the actual console

Right +

8GB of RAM that's more than enough horsepower i.e. 16 times more than PS3

The same core designed for the game pad controller with some modification such as a mini touch pad

No used video game disc lock out or needing to be constantly always online feature i.e. you can play video games offline you don't need a PSN account

Designer Mark Cerny PS4 will have a "massive hard drive" (HDD) sounds like only 1 version of the PS4 will be available and needed

Sony signs on with Blizzard the first title to be released on PS3 & PS4 being Diablo III

Gaikai streaming video game service Sony's answer to backwards compatibility on the PS4 allowing PS3 as well as PS2 & PS1 titles to be played via online streaming

IGN Reports that PS3 & Vita and other devices will also use Gaikai so we might be able to play a lot of classic PS2 games finally on the newer models of the PS3 and the value of the Vita just wen up as well

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Man, just revise this into like 4 short paragraphs. Opinions, feelings.

You DidNotFinish.

primalmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The gaikai video game streaming service, is something we might not ever see and if we do see it happening it's not going to be any day soon.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

About what they got wrong on your list not being able to play PS3 games, retail or otherwise, isn't so much them messing up but rather an impossibility. Well an impossibility if they want to keep the price reasonable. Reliable software emulation of PS3 games is at best years away and probably will never be relevant, just like it's probably irrelevant at this point for them to spend any time having good software emulation for PS2 games even though it's probably not a problem anymore.

No price/date and no actual box to show isn't important at this point. This thing is 9 months away and they still have multiple important occasions left this year before the holiday to announce this stuff. It would actually be a bad thing for them to do so right away even if they already know all these answers, which is unlikely. They have to keep some exciting stuff to show to have any sort of response to whatever Microsoft will show.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By musubi

I think your negatives list is laughable. They obviously aren't going to drop the price and stuff right out the gate that information won't hit until E3 and I wouldn't be surprised if they kept that until TGS. And everyone's obsession with backwards compat is just dumb. Sorry, they don't owe you anything in that respect. Lastly, who effing cares about them showing the console? Why is that such a big deal? What the console does is way more important than what it looks like.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Clearly, no one understands that it's impossible to play older PS games on the PS4. Unless you want to give them a ton of money to custom make you a PS4. Which is not going to happen, obviously.

Second, the console is a console. Why are people crying over this? In the end, it's just a machine that you'll look at for the first week you get & won't care how it looks after that. Plus, either the design isn't final or they just want to show it off later.

Third-ly, holiday 2013. That means November. You don't need a specific date right this moment.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Sooty

@shinjiex said:

Wrong -

No playback support for PS3 or PS2 & PS1 game discs

No playback support of Digital PSN Store content

No specific date of release or pricing

Did not show the actual console

1. Different architecture entirely, CELL was a bitch, I'd rather they go x86 than use a similar architecture to the PS3 because that did not turn out well at all. If you thought they would have PS2 compatibility after removing it from the PS3 then it's your own fault for such weird expectations. PS1 game discs? Just buy the games for PSP or Vita (if available) or pirate them and use an emulator. Who the hell cares about PS1 games at this point? How many times can you want to re-play Metal Gear Solid?

2. Well, that's a given, as PSN games are still PS3 games, so if they've said no backwards compatibility it's obvious games from the PS Store won't work.

3. It's an early look, not the final unveiling.

4. See #3.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Sooty

@primalmaster said:

The gaikai video game streaming service, is something we might not ever see and if we do see it happening it's not going to be any day soon.

I'm not sure as to how you are reaching that conclusion. The technology is already around, OnLive failed because the business model sucked. Sony's idea of Gaikai being more of a social tool and for game sampling (demos) seems pretty sound to me. OnLive was far from perfect but the streaming of games did actually work and was good enough for offline gameplay (as in, non-competitive), anyway it's a moot point as Sony aren't pushing Gaikai as a replacement for disc based games. The streaming to friends and sampling games part of it is entirely possible.

Just because America has issues with data caps and sloppy connections in general doesn't mean the rest of the world does. Europe and Asia are pretty big, you guys.

and TwitchTV can do live HD streaming, that's no different to how it'd be streaming a game from Gaikai, of course you'd have a permanent ping (20-100ms?) but that's no different than you'd get playing Call of Duty online. Sooooo...yeah this is very possible, Gaikai isn't trying to make it on its own which is why OnLive flopped, it's just an additional service providing what seem like pretty great features.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sigh, my Internet is too shit to be able to stream old games... Looks like I might need to keep my PS3 on the shelf alongside the PS4.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Is this your first console launch? The closest thing to a negative was Diablo 3, and even that wasn't really a negative, but people nitpicking.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sigh, my Internet is too shit to be able to stream old games... Looks like I might need to keep my PS3 on the shelf alongside the PS4.

It's not just your internet but pretty much all around the world too including mine, it's like the Dreamcast with internet all over again. Also imagine the bandwidth needed to stream games.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think your negatives list is laughable. They obviously aren't going to drop the price and stuff right out the gate that information won't hit until E3 and I wouldn't be surprised if they kept that until TGS. And everyone's obsession with backwards compat is just dumb. Sorry, they don't owe you anything in that respect. Lastly, who effing cares about them showing the console? Why is that such a big deal? What the console does is way more important than what it looks like.

I agree with this 110%

ValeYard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By ValeYard

I felt the event overall was positive and am really looking forward to how Microsoft positions itself now. The backwards compatibility just wouldn't be feasible with a chip architecture change, so really the loss of BC (digital or disc) is part of Ken Kutaragi's heritage.

The cloud stuff and the actual specs for the box seem to be 'up in the air' right now, probably until it's clear how much production of each unit will cost and/or Microsoft shows its cards. I just hope they have given themselves enough time to design the housing well enough so we don't have a repeat of overheating problems.

primalmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

@primalmaster said:

I'm not sure as to how you are reaching that conclusion. The technology is already around, OnLive failed because the business model sucked. Sony's idea of Gaikai being more of a social tool and for game sampling (demos) seems pretty sound to me. OnLive was far from perfect but the streaming of games did actually work and was good enough for offline gameplay (as in, non-competitive), anyway it's a moot point as Sony aren't pushing Gaikai as a replacement for disc based games. The streaming to friends and sampling games part of it is entirely possible.

Just because America has issues with data caps and sloppy connections in general doesn't mean the rest of the world does. Europe and Asia are pretty big, you guys.

and TwitchTV can do live HD streaming, that's no different to how it'd be streaming a game from Gaikai, of course you'd have a permanent ping (20-100ms?) but that's no different than you'd get playing Call of Duty online. Sooooo...yeah this is very possible, Gaikai isn't trying to make it on its own which is why OnLive flopped, it's just an additional service providing what seem like pretty great features.

I was talking more about the Gaikai streaming of ps1/ps2/ps3 games. The way they talked about it at the conference seemed like they just gave me the impression it was in a very early stage. If they do end up releasing this feature it's probably going to 1 or maybe 2 years after ps4 launch. That being said I am excited to see a feature like this, there are plenty of ps2 titles and some ps1 titles I never got to play.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was never going to play PS3 games unless they put a literal PS3 inside the PS4. Your other "wrong" points are also quite dumb. Seriously, who cares if they didn't show the box. We will see it at E3, stop the pointless nitpicking.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No PSN BC is a bummer. No disc BC was kind of expected. I guess I understand it though. If it would need the guts of a PS3, the price would bubble. PS3s are still expensive.

It's the PS3 BC situation, where they added the PS2 guts, but the price went up. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. Might as well get the growing pains out of the way as soon as possible. The price paid for the unique architecture of the PS3 and PS2.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Winternet

I really don't understand people's thing for backwards compatibility. Is it just a Sony thing?