What was the very first Video Game you ever played?

• 173 results
afields101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What was your very first video game experience?

Was it on a some Nintendo Hand games? Atari 2600? SNES? maybe a little late to the game with the PS1? or maybe you started off on that windows demo disk that you kept hidden from your parents?

For myself, I remember my older cousin sitting me down and showing me Super Mario Land on the Original Game boy which I then played for the rest of the day... Whats Your First Video game experience?

Avatar image for shadowknight508
ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ShadowKnight508

Super Mario Land on the Game Boy when I was five way back in 1995 is the first one I remember. Although I don't remember it, my parents said that I played Sonic the Hedgehog on the SEGA Genesis when I was four.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Fuck if I know. My parents bought an NES when I was like two; I've been playing games for as long as I can remember. It was probably Super Mario Bros. or Tetris.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Justin258

Gradius: The Interstellar Assault, was four years old, my dad brought home a used Game Boy from... somewhere and that game. One of my earlier memories is playing that thing as late into the night as I could and then waking up before daylight, going into the living room, turning on the lamp, and playing it some more. My dad woke up soon after, I don't remember if he told me to go back to bed or not. Presumably, my parents bought me the SNES because they thought it would save on weekly AA battery costs.

EDIT: Also worth noting - I was born in '91. My fondest memories are of the SNES but that may be the last year where people were born who started gaming with the SNES. The PS1 came out in 1994 in Japan according to Wikipedia, '95 stateside, and the N64 was '96 - I was playing Game Boy games as the PS1 was starting to gain sales.

The "latecomers" these days would be ones who started with the PS2. Hell, if you got a 360 on release and were five years old, you'd be fifteen and well into high school now.

Avatar image for euler_riemann_zeta
Euler_Riemann_Zeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to say that the first game I ever played was Air Combat for the playstation. I remember playing a fighter plane game with purple planes, and my family bought me a lot of Ace Combat games later on, so it makes sense. The first game I can clearly remember playing was Crash Bandicoot 2. I remember getting stuck on the third floor, and I don't think I ever beat it. Still loved it though, because I thought the ice levels looked cool (the sewer levels were the worst).

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By 71Ranchero

I am almost certain it was ET for the 2600. If it wasn't ET then it was probably Parsec for the TI-99/4A.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had an NES with Super Mario Bros. 3, this Batman game that I don't think I ever got past the first level of, and a Sesame Street game featuring the Count. It's been quite a while since then so I can't recall which of the three I played first, but I'm pretty sure it was Mario.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Lemmings is the first game I remember playing. I have no idea if it was actually the very first though.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It was the Super Mario/Duck Hunt double cartridge for the NES. There are three things I will forever remember about it: (1) That really particular plastic/electronic smell that seems unique to the NES (2) How cool I thought the light gun was and (3) That my grandfather was an absolute crack shot at Duck Hunt.

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I think some edutainment software on the PC most likely. The first "real" game I remember clearly is Sonic 2 on the Megadrive. To this day that's the only game I own on that system.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no idea what my first game was, though I do have vague recollections of playing stuff on the PC.
First console was a Sega Genesis, a hand-me-down, where I played the absolute crap out of Sonic 2 and that Lion King game.
First console purchased myself (parents never gave me super massive gifts. I instead got pocket money of like $5 a week) was a PS2, the first game on which was Tarzan's Freeride (Untamed for NA, I think). I remember liking it. Probably first games I really dumped a lot of time into were FFX and Dragon Quest 8. I still remember talking with my friends in the primary school yard about those games. Good times.

who42knows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometime back in 90 or 91 i had an NES with SMB and duck hunt. I was really young (3 or 4) and can't remember what came first.

13mosiern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I doubt any of you would find it nostalgic, but for someone born in 1999, I think my dad did all right by getting Jak and the precursor orbs to be the first game I ever played.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By 2HeadedNinja
fugoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Technically Pokemon Red for the Gameboy Color. I say technically because while I did boot it up and play it, I did not in fact know how to read. This was a very big problem and my mother returned it and got me the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers game instead. Thankfully that did not require reading.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really can't remember to be honest. My household was always a generation behind though so I was lucky enough to start with the SNES despite being born after it's release. My first game was more then likely a Mario or Zelda game.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#18 sgtsphynx  Moderator
WoolieDood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it was one of the Super Mario Land games on a original Gameboy that I found in my parents drawer when I was like 6 or 7 years old.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

First gaming memory is Contra at my cousin's house.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ecco The Dolphin.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f9de71ea580
deactivated-65f9de71ea580

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My oldest memory is playing "Power Pete" with my Dad. I haven't thought of that game in years!

Avatar image for whiteforestparkrangr
WhiteForestParkRangr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to say it was a table-top Millipede cabinet at an open-air arcade at a campground in either Vermont or New Hampshire. Either that or Q*bert/Asteroids at the same place but the ever-changing bright neon color palettes, hypnotic sound effects, and smoothly intuitive trackball movement of Millipede stick out the most in my mind. I must have been 1 or 2.

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Myst, with my dad.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Space Invaders in a Butlins in 78 or 79. It was the one with the coloured cellophane over the screen.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Pretty sure it was an Atari 2600 game, since I know that's the first console I had, but I have no idea which game it was. Could have been Pac-Man, Centipede, Asteroid, Cosmic Ark, Pitfall, Adventure, Frogger, Superman, or any of the other games I had at the time.

Toastburner_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

That I can name? Probably Combat.

burgavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not really sure it could either be Frogger or H.E.R.O. or Kings Valley or Q-bert on the msx my older brother owned or some bootleg pong machine with circular knob controllers. One of my clearest early gaming memories though is loading the games from tape and the horendous sounds the tape loader would make.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sergio

A Popeye arcade cabinet at a local pizza place.

sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was Pong for me, or at least some kind of derivative that my folks had on one of those knock-off Pong machines from the seventies.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Super Mario for the NES. Probably around 1991. So I was 4.

j87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mega Phoenix for the Amiga

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asteroids or Pong. It was neat, but Asteroids was stressful so I decided to go back outside and play.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

I don't know, but my earliest video game memory is sitting in front of a massive projection tv with an atari joy stick to my side looking at the carts for Pitfall and Haunted House.

lizzard2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing Pong with my brother and was amazed that using something in your hand made movement on the tv screen, That was incredible.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Some knock off game on a cheap knock off console during the mid 90s probably. Could've been contra, mario etc.. No way to remember

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Balloon fight maybe? My family got a NES when I was two, so It's kinda hazy.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By Rebel_Scum

First game would be Pac-Man, space invaders or galaga in the arcades. Home wise, we had an Atari 520st with the power pack and I guess Afterburner was the first game played due to the alphabetical order although I don't remember.

Afterburner, btw was only good for 4 levels and then asked for disk 2, but no disk 2 was supplied with the pack. So basically we could only play the first four levels of Afterburner. People complain of day one dlc and games being patched after launch...well it used to be worse and that is one example. I have more lol.

@hunter5024 said:

Ecco The Dolphin.

@beachthunder said:

Lemmings

What perfect games to start on, my God...

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

How the hell do you people remember this?

The earliest memory I have of video games is either Contra or Double Dragon III for the NES, and even then I'm not sure how old I was or which one came first.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't remember...
Most likely my older brother's Colecovision, Zaxxon maybe?
Quite possibly Carnival, or Ladybug as well.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Super Mario Bros on the NES at a family friends cottage. I don't think I got past the first level. I must have been 4-5 years old.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My earliest memories are Super Mario All Stars and Sonic the Hedgehog. And maybe a Dig-Dug clone called Mr. Do!

Surprised at the amount of people saying Super Mario Bros.This is why it always annoys me when the crew say shit like "the kids that watch our videos won't get that reference" or "our audience is too young to know what you're talking about".

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Probably Asteroids but the first one I owned was either a side scrolling shooter on the ZX81 (can't remember what it was called, I got it along with ZX81 Chess which never got opened) or Astro Wars.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b79d22eb7ed
deactivated-58b79d22eb7ed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Christmas 1989, I was 3 and it was Friday the 13th, our first game on the new NES. Probably because my sister enjoyed the movies/series. It scared me and my mom ended up giving it to our neighbors. He reminded me of it and told me nobody could beat it in college. I eBayed a copy just to have even though I don't have an NES, but I can emulate it one day. I don't care to talk about it much, but now I'm going to go watch that James and Mike Mondays episode again. We did the exact same thing with putting the stickers on the cabins but our trick was to put Saran Wrap over the TV and then use a marker. None of this should make sense to modern gamers.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, I don't know for sure. It was probably Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt or maybe my dad's Mario Game & Watch. The first game I have a memory of playing is Mega Man 2. When I was a very little boy, my babysitter would leave me in the basement with Mega Man while she "hung out" with her boyfriend.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

The earliest game I can clearly remember is Street Fighter II for the Sega Genesis, but I feel like I have definitely played NES earlier back. I want to say the very first game I ever played was a standalone tetris handheld, though.

EDIT: I just remembered playing Duck Hunt and the context of the memory makes me want to say that was the first game I've played.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A black and white racing game on a friend's Spectrum. I can't remember any more details about it.

The first game I actually owned and played was Outlaw for the Atari 2600:

No Caption Provided

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's always a bit embarrassing to say, but my first was Killer Instinct. It was in '97 and I was in México for the first time in what would be a regular summer vacation spot (I would spend about 2-3 months out of the year every summer until I was 14). I went with my mother, then two weeks later my father showed up with the SNES bundle and it immediately triggered a feeling of happiness. No joke, I don't remember even knowing what video games were prior to that moment. I was 6 and we were poor, so maybe that had to do with it.

rabincrabmink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By rabincrabmink

It was Mickey Mousecapade almost 30 years ago and I though it was the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Earliest memories are Mighty Bomb Jack on NES (what a pile), and Kings Quest 3. I had a brother 14 years older than me who was on the vanguard of nerd-dom lol