What would you do if you could no longer play video games?

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I'm curious what other people who love video games would do in my situation.

I haven't properly played a video game since March. I came home from work on the 27th and had trouble breathing. After attempting to relax for a bit I asked my girlfriend to drive me to the ER. After that my memory gets fuzzy. When I woke up in ICU I was told a virus had attacked my heart and lungs and my lungs filled with fluid. My heart stopped on two occasions and my brain lost oxygen and blood flow as a result. Two parts of my brain are essentially dead. I'm lucky to be alive. One of the long lasting effects is my central vision is a shimmering circle. It's like trying to look through a waterfall. I can't focus on or read anything. The neurologist told me I have another 7 months in which I may recover, but they aren't positive if it will fully recover. The only way I can read web sites and efficiently type is using a program that reads whatever I mouse over and tells me the letters I type.

I'm just curious if this happened to others what they would do? Would you continue to follow the medium? Would you just watch Let's Play's of any games you were interested in?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

Sucks to hear that duder.

If your vision is messed up I don't see how watching a Let's Play would be worthwhile though, and every LP of newly released games is terrible.

I would start listening to a lot more music and audiobooks.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If your vision is messed up I don't see how watching a Let's Play would be worthwhile though, and every LP of newly released games is terrible.

My peripheral vision is fine, so if I sit close enough to the screen I can see the majority of the game. It’s certainly not ideal but it allows me to see games I would normally play myself. I actually haven’t watched any Let’s Play’s of games yet, but may do it as a last resort if this is how my vision is going to be for the rest of my life.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Watch movies and TV shows like I do. Gotta have that escapism somehow.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Corevi
@barrock said:

@corruptedevil said:

My peripheral vision is fine, so if I sit close enough to the screen I can see the majority of the game. It’s certainly not ideal but it allows me to see games I would normally play myself. I actually haven’t watched any Let’s Play’s of games yet, but may do it as a last resort if this is how my vision is going to be for the rest of my life.

I highly recommend the LParchive if you do decide to go that route. You won't find any playthroughs of new games but most of them are really well done and the people playing are generally pretty knowledgable about the game. My favourite dudes on there are Chip Cheezum and pokecapn/medibot/Kaz/KFJ (they appear in each others stuff very frequently).

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Shit, that sucks :(

I can't really vouch for it, but there's a game called "Blindside". It's basically an audio-only adventure game.

Also, Hero Core springs to mind - it's just pure black and white, so there's a lot of contrast between the background and foreground. I can definitely vouch for that though - I played it a few years back and really loved it.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think if you enjoy video games you'd always follow the medium. I'm assuming since you posted a thread about this topic you probably are tied to video game news and still follow this community. For a time back in college I didn't have a whole lot of cash but used to make a list of games I eventually wanted to play. I'd probably just start making a list of games I want to eventually check out when I had more cash and time.

I think Let's Play is an option but most of the time I just think the extra commentary gets annoying especially during long play throughs.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By ripelivejam

It sucks that you may not be able to enjoy a thing you love in the same way anymore, but id also look at it as a way to expqnd your horizons and try to take up other interests or hobbies. Physical abilities permitting i may take up learning something more hands on like working with electronics or try to learn an instrument. Hell, even music production sort of interests me being a budding audiophile (the care and detail going into productionwork on something like talk talk's laughing stock truly floors me, and id like to know more about how something like that comes to fruition). Personally it would also be a good chance for me to get in damn shape finally ;). Just try to find new ways to explore and enjoy life, i suppose! Hope things turn around for you soon, and best wishes regardless.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have an abiding love for tabletop games. I often think that if I fell hands first into a wood-chipper at least I'd be able to play those. Unlike videogames they aren't really a solo thing, which does mean you need friends over to do it but I'd suggest you try them out. When I say table-top games I am talking about an extremely broad list that includes boardgames, card games, miniature games, pen and paper role-playing games (these are easily my favourite although they are the hardest to arrange).

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

If I could still use my hands then I would go back to what I did before I played video games; Lego. Also that audiobook suggestion seems good too.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EVO
@barrock said:

My peripheral vision is fine, so if I sit close enough to the screen I can see the majority of the game.

So handheld/mobile/tablets are fine?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock: I'd still follow videogames, because it's an interest of mine. And when there was a period in my life that I couldn't play videogames, I actually got a bit more involved in the discussion around videogames.

A few years ago, I had a similar health incident which left me mostly unable to play games for an extended period of time. In lieu of that, I basked in the impressions of others and Let's Plays. I even came to appreciate Giant Bomb more for the way it helped me enjoy a wider variety of titles and feel like I was part of a community of gamers. While it was frustrating to feel like everyone else was playing videogames while I wasn't, I still felt like I enjoyed games through the enjoyment of others.

Eventually, I did recover a lot, and I am still in a time of recovery. Some things you don't ever fully recover from, but it's okay. It's the new normal, and you make the best of it. I've been able to play a decent amount of games now; though, I still have that connection to the enjoyment of others.

After two years, I felt able to really play games again, and I hope the same for you in your recovery. At one time, I didn't think I'd ever be able to handle a difficult platformer again, but just in the last few months, I was able to beat a tough game like Shovel Knight. There is always hope. And even when things don't turn out as you prayed they would, there is joy to be found where you are.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#13  Edited By audioBusting

Jeez, I was gonna joke about writing angry posts on the internet but nevermind that. Sorry to hear that dude =(

If it happened to me, I would probably listen to more podcasts and watch more Let's Plays. I use the LP Archive recommended above by CorruptedEvil and I'd probably delve deeper into it. I think I'd try cooking more, but I can't imagine cooking to be safe if I don't have my central vision. Maybe I'll start running or doing other workout? I wonder if I can go back to training martial arts with only my peripheral vision.

I hope you will recover.. 7 months sounds like a long time but it's better than forever.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Watch movies, tv shows, comics, podcasts, or YouTube I guess. My favorite really if you can't get through that stuff is talking with family and friends, just shooting the shit talking about videogames or whatever. I hope you get through this, duder.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Barrock

Thanks for the suggestions as far as Let's Play's go.

Tablet's and handheld's are still difficult because I still need to focus on the action. Less action oriented genres such as RPG's may work but those all require reading.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I would continue to follow video game enthusiast sites (like Giant Bomb) and live my gaming life through them (even more than I feel like I do now).

I'd probably watch a lot more TV shows and movies (and I already watch a lot of movies and TV shows that I have on DVD or blu ray).

Podcasts (especially gaming and comedy ones)

I know being with other people sometimes can be difficult, but that's also another option if anyone else you know has the time for it. Just chatting with people you know can always be a great time waster- even more so than gaming sometimes.

I wish you the best in your recovery; life throws a lot of curve balls (I know), but there's a lot these days to keep your mind occupied if you need it.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17  Edited By Jeust

Personally if I were you I'd bet on neuroplasticity. Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity#Treatment_of_brain_damage

And I'd bet on the areas I like. It is possible you can get better, and recover your abilities if you put the effort into the activities that mean something to you. I've once read the story of a writer, who completely rewired his brain, with much effort, after a heart stroke which was trully impressive.

Also I'd go in the direction of audio books, and music.

And another thing that I loved reading, and at least to me makes sense:

The astronomer

In the shadow of the temple my friend and I saw a blind man sitting alone. And my friend said, “Behold the wisest man of our land.”

Then I left my friend and approached the blind man and greeted him. And we conversed.

After a while I said, “Forgive my question, but since when hast thou been blind?”

“From my birth,” he answered.

Said I, “And what path of wisdom followest thou?”

Said he, “I am an astronomer.”

Then he placed his hand upon his breast, saying, “I watch all these suns and moons and stars.”

Written by Khalil Gibran

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeust:

I'mm very hopeful from what I've read about neuroplasticity that my brain will reroute itself after some time. It just seems like 5 months is a long time. In terms of my brain healing that may be a drop in the bucket. The neurologist originally said the damage was superficial and was only the grey matter. But I haven't been able to follow up with that neurologist since getting out of the hospital.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If I couldn't play I would still listen to Giant Bomb stuff for comedic value and entertainment but spend more time doing other things. Making and listening to music a lot probably. I'm sorry you are going through this but there are lots of other cool things you can do and enjoy in terms of hobbies.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jeust

@barrock said:

@jeust:

I'mm very hopeful from what I've read about neuroplasticity that my brain will reroute itself after some time. It just seems like 5 months is a long time. In terms of my brain healing that may be a drop in the bucket. The neurologist originally said the damage was superficial and was only the grey matter. But I haven't been able to follow up with that neurologist since getting out of the hospital.

Keep doing what you love, is my best advice, enduring the pain and the frustration.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#22  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Find a different hobby, I suppose.

Rolkien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Movies, TV, Anime, and of course all mighty favorite sport of mine, Tennis. I could play tennis for hours on end.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suppose my answer is Dungeons and Dragons. Lot's of it. I also would get even more into music, and I'd start listening to more podcasts. I'd be heartbroken about the video games though, I can't lie.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've gone through phases where I barely played any games for months, during that time I still listened to the Bombcast and watched their videos, I just enjoy them as a source of entertainment. This question is more than just "What if you couldn't play video games" though. If that were the case, I'd start reading more books. I'd learn a second language. I'd learn to play piano. I'd learn to fly a helicopter. All that stuff though depends on vision which is the main problem. The real question is "what would you do if you were blind?" in that case... I don't know. I really don't.

Twisted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Twisted

Jesus what ever it is you got sounds horrendous. 5 months may seem like a long time but you'll get there, stay positive about it man. All the best with your recovery.

I'd probably stick with games if it's possible to enjoy them in some fashion. At the least I'd still follow Giant Bomb's content (as I come here more for the entertainment than the games). But I'd also start to exercise more, get out a bit and maybe even take up a sport.

There's always plenty of good TV shows and movies to watch. Plus there are heaps of podcasts around about all sorts of interesting shit too. Audiobooks would be great as well.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is obviously different circumstances - but I said the same thing in a thread where someone wasn't currently enjoying video games - "explore other interests."

There is plenty of things in life i'm interested and very little time to do most of them.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

First off, holy shit. That sounds pretty bad. Hope everything goes well for you.

But to answer your question: I'd listen to podcasts and audiobooks. Things I do now. As far as the long term, I don't know. I suppose I'd try to "watch" Let's Plays and movies, etc. to the best of my ability.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Going blind (which I know you're not going entirely) is actually one of my biggest fears in life. not being able to play games, watch movies/tv/online videos or read comics is a really scary thing to me. Also not being able to see a good looking guy and go "DAYUM!" would be pretty sucky too. I think most other things such as lifestyle are very adoptable for the most part, and I know lots of blind people play instruments so that's a world of things to explore.

If for some inexplicable reason I just couldn't play games but had no other kind of impairment I'd get into playing instruments more and I would definitely play a bunch more sport. I've always liked tennis but I'm too lazy to actually do it so not having games would be a good motivation for that, but it sounds like that's not an option for you. I LOVE playing pool too.

I would imagine with a bit of practice and adjustment you could take up pool, and speaking of pool, swimming is quite a lot of fun, I wouldn't recommend running if you're vision is impaired, at least not on the street. I really really enjoy board games so you can always try that, say chess or something. Also try card games and while I mention that you could possibly take up magic tricks, once you get a good feel for what you're doing you don't need to see. There are plenty of slow paced video games out there you can play too, other than RPG's even. Writing/blogging/reading doesn't seem like an issue for you either. If reading becomes too strenuous then of course you have audiobooks and podcasts. All in all I'd say you can still have a great time with a visual impairment. Stay hopeful anyway and best of luck duder

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depending on why I couldn't play videogames anymore. If I was in your position where my eyesight had been considerably worsened, I might turn full-on into Let's Plays (but I'm already big into that so it's not a big deal). If I still had cognitive functions and a way to type, I would likely start working on all the novels I've wanted to write over the years. As it stands, my progress on those is really slow because of all the time I spend playing games XD

I also do a lot of kung-fu, so who knows, maybe I'd devote myself fully into that. Again, videogames cut into it at the moment.

StoutLager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By StoutLager

I barely play any games anymore right now.

Feel better, Barrock. Feel better all the way and as soon as possible. That's a shitty hand to be dealt for surely sure it is.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By Justin258

If I could no longer play video games?

I'd probably read, watch movies and TV shows, find some people to hang out with, write a novel, learn to play music, etc.

But the only way I'm ever not going to play video games is if I go blind or lose my hands. And with the latter I could still play turn based games with my feet. Losing my hands, actually, is probably my greatest fear. Not because of video games but because I like to do everything myself and not having hands would hinder that.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

i probably would be lobotomized.

I just use video games as a source of inspiration. Even if the game is crap there's something about it I enjoy looking at in it's design.

white_sox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

Sorry to hear about that.

As for me, I'd probably gravitate toward board games more. In fact, I've been playing a lot more board and party games recently. There's a lot of stuff out there that I'd never even heard of.

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read a book? if you can of course. Or maybe try an audiobook...

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornbredx:

What podcasts do you listen to other than the Bombcast?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock: I listen to:

My Brother My Brother and Me

How did this get Made

Talkin' Toons with Rob Paulsen

I used to listen to some others but most of them aren't around anymore. These are the ones I still listen to every week, though. Plus the Bombcast of course. Plus a couple of those sites are big comedy podcast sites so if you want to expand to other comedy podcasts you can always look around to see if any of the other podcasts there interest you or whatever.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. I guess if that happened to me I would focus on playing guitar. Something that doesn't require much vision. I wish you well Barrock.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Just some advice. Perhaps try to play games that are more turn based that don't require twitch response. I wish you the best luck in recovery.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go crazy or get depressed, it's really my only release.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Brendan

Watch more movies and read more books. I already do plenty of both.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ProfessorK

Podcasts, work out and reading mostly. I seriously haven't read a legit book in years and I'd like to get back into reading.

That said, I wish you speedy recovery duder!

Yakumo1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if I couldn't play games anymore for whatever reason, I'd be out in the car having a great time cruising. Then I'd take it down to the local track for some quality racing.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

@barrock:

Man I'm really sorry to hear this happened to you.

I don't know if it helps, but my great grandfather went blind so what he did to pass the time he became quite the adept flute player. I don't know if music or composing is something you like, but it might be a fun diversion for your situation. There's a lot of great music in games that I'm sure could server a jumping off point for you.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hang in there buddy. Learn from this experience. I'd say get some friends together and start hanging out in nature. It's great for the body and mind. Plus you can become closer to your friends.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. The virus may have been a blessing in disguise, as they discovered I have a heart defect that needs to be treated.

I've been listening to a lot more comedy podcasts, and going through the giantbomb archives.

jhajha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jhajha

I will eat, play some basketball games and sleep. That's all.