What's the best way to stream video on the PS3 web browser?

rocketboot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rocketboot

So, for months now I've been struggling with watching video streams on my PS3. I know it's possible, as I've been successful many times, but it's often REALLY hard to find what I'm looking for. The problem usually lies with the compatibility with the PS3 browser, and with extremely long buffer time. Is anyone out there well versed in such a task?  Am I just wasting my time? 

A nice way around this would be to download the files, but that seems to be troublesome as well. What kind of video files will play on the PS3's video player? Can I just torrent files onto my PC and then transfer them to my PS3 via USB key? Should I just man up and figure it out myself?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

ElCount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ElCount

You should try Play On at www.playon.tv/playon it streams from your pc to you ps3, xbox 360, and wii. Its a payed service but they do offer a 14 day trial.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Download them to your PC. Then setup home sharing within Windows. Then stream videos from your computer HDD to your PS3.

Been doing this for about a year now without a hitch.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Jadeskye

Tversity is a solid product.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Doctorchimp

PS3mediaserver is a complete beast and will stream anything you throw at it to your PS3. Plus it's free.

The best thing to do for you is to download what you want to watch on a PC that can process the information (make sure it can do the resolution you want to watch) and then stream that to your PS3.

rocketboot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By rocketboot

Thanks for the advise, guys. Bummer that I only have a 6-year old Dell laptop that came free with an internet plan :( This thing overheats when I listen to the Bombcast, I don't even want to try streaming it to my PS3.

nikral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By nikral
@Doctorchimp said:
" PS3mediaserver is a complete beast and will stream anything you throw at it to your PS3. Plus it's free. The best thing to do for you is to download what you want to watch on a PC that can process the information (make sure it can do the resolution you want to watch) and then stream that to your PS3. "
This is what I use and paired with an ethernet cable I've never had a problem watching a video.