What's the deal with Sega?

Dragonps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Dragonps

No console release (that we know to) of Final Showdown, no new version of Super Hang On or Revenge of Shinobi. Instead we get a a ton of Sonic games (Sonic 4 was good but not brilliant) a nonsensical online gaming site (that seemed a great idea at the time right?) Am I being to harsh on the company that brought us, Shenmue, Virtua Fighter, Outrun, oh and Sonic of course, or have Sega fallen from the giants they used to be?

sushisteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By sushisteve

They just weren't the same after they stopped making their own consoles.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By FancySoapsMan

They need to give us Skies of Arcadia 2 and a remake or re-release of Panzer Dragoon Saga and then I will love them forever.

Dragonps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Dragonps
@sushisteve said:
" They just weren't the same after they stopped making their own consoles. "
Agreed they lost a lot of money with the Dreamcast
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

"What's the deal with Sega? They haven't made a good Sonic game since the 90s. They're just like M Knight Shyamalan."
This is what happens when you say, "What's the deal with..." in my presence: I post a picture of Seinfeld and make a terrible joke.
gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By gamefreak9

They are like the crazy wife you divorce, she goes crazy and starts whoring around but is never truly satisfied. 

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By FourWude

The love died. Like a homeless person living on the streets for too long, the harsh existence he has to face every day, the neglect, the sorrow, in the end the fight leaves him. And just like a homeless person the fight left Sega. 

Think about that the next time you see a homeless person on the streets, especially in this time of year. 

sushisteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sushisteve
@FancySoapsMan: Throw in Jet Set Radio 3 into that mix and it would almost...almost make up for Sonic Adventures
GrandMarshal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By GrandMarshal
@FancySoapsMan:  Your right, They need to stop with the sonic and try there other past hits like SoA
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@Video_Game_King: rofl, too true.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Jeust

Lack of money and inspiration.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Brendan

The people that originally made Sega good probably moved on. 
Avatar image for shadowknight508
ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By ShadowKnight508
@Jeust said:
" Lack of money and inspiration. "
This...and the fact that they would rather make content for other systems instead of getting the investments to produce their own consoles like they used to. The SEGA Dreamcast had promise, but it vanished off of the market within 3 years of launching in 1999.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Jeust
@shadowknight508 said:

" @Jeust said:

" Lack of money and inspiration. "
This...and the fact that they would rather make content for other systems instead of getting the investments to produce their own consoles like they used to. The SEGA Dreamcast had promise, but it vanished off of the market within 3 years of launching in 1999. "
Yeah, still they would need a big investment to return into the console market. And with the shaken trust from the fanbase, and the fact that their profit comes largely from pachinko, seem improbable for Sega to withstand the financial strain of a new console development and launch. Unless there is some stroke of genius and luck, it's safe to say that Sega's best years are gone.  
paulio131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By paulio131

Lets see a next gen sega console (;

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Dragonps said:
" No console release (that we know to) of Final Showdown, no new version of Super Hang On or Revenge of Shinobi. Instead we get a a ton of Sonic games (Sonic 4 was good but not brilliant) a nonsensical online gaming site (that seemed a great idea at the time right?) Am I being to harsh on the company that brought us, Shenmue, Virtua Fighter, Outrun, oh and Sonic of course, or have Sega fallen from the giants they used to be? "
Forget about Sonic 4. If you want a good modern Sonic game, Colours is what you should be referencing. Thats not great either, but certainly better than Sonic 4.
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

The Valkyria Chronicles series and Platinum Games' stuff is really good.    
I guess you can't look for Sega's flagship titles but instead the "side" stuff they do.

Dragonps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dragonps
@MysteriousBob said:
" @Dragonps said:
" No console release (that we know to) of Final Showdown, no new version of Super Hang On or Revenge of Shinobi. Instead we get a a ton of Sonic games (Sonic 4 was good but not brilliant) a nonsensical online gaming site (that seemed a great idea at the time right?) Am I being to harsh on the company that brought us, Shenmue, Virtua Fighter, Outrun, oh and Sonic of course, or have Sega fallen from the giants they used to be? "
Forget about Sonic 4. If you want a good modern Sonic game, Colours is what you should be referencing. Thats not great either, but certainly better than Sonic 4. "
I know but I was trying to think of a modern Sega game where they went back to their roots (so to speak)
ASpaceSeaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By ASpaceSeaman
@SethPhotopoulos:  
You stole my post! But regardless, Sega makes great games on the side. With Valkyria being my favorite.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Dragonps: Sonic 4 should have just been called Sonic Rush 3. Dimps are crap at level design and have never been able to get the physics right.
gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gamb1t
@FancySoapsMan said:
" They need to give us Skies of Arcadia 2 and a remake or re-release of Panzer Dragoon Saga and then I will love them forever. "
One of the most slept on games EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PANZER DRAGOON!!!!!!!!!
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@MysteriousBob said:
" @Dragonps: Sonic 4 should have just been called Sonic Rush 3. Dimps are crap at level design and have never been able to get the physics right. "
Considering Rush and Rush 2 got good scores and people liked/loved those games that isn't much of an insult.  You might have just wanted to say the second sentence to get your point across.
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Skald
@Video_Game_King: You did the right thing.
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Rayfield
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BraveToaster

They were good. then they went to shit. Just like a lot of things in history.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By buzz_clik

What happened to Sega? The world changed, they failed to notice and adapt; when they finally did figure it out it was too late.

But at least they're publishing Platinum's brand of rad these days. They've got that going on.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By iam3green

they're lazy to do anything.

Dragonps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Dragonps
@buzz_clik said:
" What happened to Sega? The world changed, they failed to notice and adapt; when they finally did figure it out it was too late."
You make a good point, but is it really too lat6e for Sega? Can they do anything to bring that love back again?
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By buzz_clik
@Dragonps said:
" ...is it really too lat6e for Sega? Can they do anything to bring that love back again? "
I'm sure any software company's image is salvageable somehow (a string of well-publicised, rock-solid titles would help) but they're going to have to work bloody hard to regain the trust and respect of the consumer. At their current rate, it doesn't really look like they'll achieve that.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MysteriousBob
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" @MysteriousBob said:
" @Dragonps: Sonic 4 should have just been called Sonic Rush 3. Dimps are crap at level design and have never been able to get the physics right. "
Considering Rush and Rush 2 got good scores and people liked/loved those games that isn't much of an insult.  You might have just wanted to say the second sentence to get your point across. "
People are easily impressed. I never said the Rush games were terrible. I just implied they had shitty level design and physics. Which they do. But critics will praise any modern 2D Sonic game, regardless of quality.
Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Alphiehyr

Not harsh at all. Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By Synthballs
@Video_Game_King said:
"

"What's the deal with Sega? They haven't made a good Sonic game since the 90s. They're just like M Knight Shyamalan."
This is what happens when you say, "What's the deal with..." in my presence: I post a picture of Seinfeld and make a terrible joke. "
You've saved me some work. Thanks! 

Also, more on topic, if you're only noticing now that Sega isn't the company they used to be then you need your fucking eyes checked. They've been a shadow of there former selves for years.