What's your personal favorite 2022 game so far?

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GTxForza

Dear gamers in the Giant Bomb forums

Well, it's the post-Game Awards 2022 ceremony, FromSoftware's Elden Ring has officially won the Game Of The Year award, and there were several other new game trailers shown, also I'm excited to see Edelgard appearing in Fire Emblem: Engage.

So this inspired me to make this thread as I like to see you guys share your personal favorite game that has been released in 2022 so far.

My personal favorite is WRC Generations, which is a fantastic rally simulator as the driving model/physics appears to be improved over its predecessors and more accurate to the real world but, it's the final WRC game from Kylotonn while they're handing their licensing to Codemasters and I hope it won't get ruined by EA (The parent company).

Sidenote: I always prefer Sim Racing and Rally Sim to Simcade racing games including Polyphony Digital's Gran Turismo and Turn 10's Forza Motorsport series.

Edit: I also reckon Kylotonn's development in rallying games is more realistic than Evolution Studio's WRC series and DICE's Rallisport Challenge series, for having more narrow stages and a more advanced driving model/physics.

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By PeezMachine

Rogue Legacy 2. It might be the best sequel I've ever played. It's familiar but ambitious, and I don't think there's a single misstep in the whole thing. I kind of thought there was no point in making an action roguelite after Hades, but I was very happy to be proven wrong.

MisterSims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

My personal game of the year was Immortality. I already know without asking that not enough people played it, and I get it, it's a niche title, but the performances were phenomenal. Manon Gage was truly captivating, and I love Christopher Judge so I wouldn't want his performance to be overlooked, but if there was any justice in the world, she would have won best performance at the game awards. This year especially it became obvious that the game awards are just a popularity contest, which honestly disappointed me, and made me take them way less seriously. Anyway, I will agree that Elden Ring deserved the win, although I fell off that game hard. Also, Bill Clinton.

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm trying to think what I played this year that actually came out this year... Uhhh.......

I mean, it's definitely not my GOTY, but Soundfall has been a charming rythm-action game.

Final Fantasy 6 Pixel Remaster came out this year, and it marks the first time out of a dozen attempts where I actually beat FF6. Fantastic game.

Pokemon: Legends Arceus ranks pretty highly. Refreshing spin on an old formula, much of which has not been carried over into the main A-line series.

It's been another year of playing older, cheaper games for me. My current GOTY is a 2021 remake of a 2001 CRPG, so that tells you a lot about the type of gamer I am.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SethMode

Hard to say. Elden Ring is probably the game I played the most and got the most mechanical enjoyment out of, but I'm not even finished with Pentiment yet and it has been so effective and has stuck with me so much already, unless it COMPLETELY biffs the ending, It'll probably be the game that I got the most out of in 2022.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going through my list looking for 2022 games and all i could find was Isonzo, Modern Warfare 2 and Vampire Survivors, so i guess it's Vampire Survivors, except i played more HoloCure so it's probably that if we're counting free knock offs :P.

Best gaming memory? Learning to speed run Getting Over It, the arrival of the finished fan made HD mod for RE4, the news that Perfect Dark was fully decompiled.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

It's Marvel Snap, it's fucking Marvel Snap, it was apparently ALWAYS GOING TO BE MARVEL SNAP!

As someone who loves narrative and lore above all else, I don't know how this happened, but it HAS! And I hate it!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much times as I spent with Elden Ring, there was a known quantity to it that left me feeling good but not great. I think the large world helps breed exploration but, on a second run, I've struggled to cut out the chaff.

Sifu, on the other hand, took me by surprise. I was wary of the challenge and thought it might be too much. However, the added difficulty levels made some of the repetition feel a lot easier to swallow. Plus it has an astonishing combination of mechanics that feel so well considered.

It was Vampire Survirors but Sifu has really had a hold on me the last couple of weeks. Vampire Survivors is something I never knew I wanted. Sifu is something I didn't realise could be pulled off so well.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xenoblade 3 is the top spot and is entirely unassailable.

Elden Ring and Vampire Survivors have high marks. Pentiment came in swinging at the last minute.

CyrusRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vampire Survivors came close but it's Elden Ring it was always Elden Ring.

Edens_Heel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Elden Ring. Which surprised the hell out of me as I have not been able to get into any FS game before this. Not for lack of trying either. But the open world aspect of this just clicked in a way the others didn't. And the game I was looking forward to the most, which seemed so completely up my alley—Tunic—turned out to be my most disappointing game of the year (it's well made, just the combat and exploration never grabbed me like I needed it to). So it's a year of surprises.

Also really dug Horizon Forbidden West, but as has been said so many times, that franchise has the worst luck in terms of coming out immediately before a game that totally steals its thunder—BotW with the first game and ER with this.

dooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dooz

I didn't play many major releases in 2022 but Bannerlord had it's 1.0 launch and I have 500 hours logged into it, but that was 500 hours before this year, so I dunno if that counts. I don't really play many AAA games anymore and I never buy games at release. Too expensive. The value of the product rarely matches my enjoyment of them.

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rogue Legacy 2. It might be the best sequel I've ever played. It's familiar but ambitious, and I don't think there's a single misstep in the whole thing. I kind of thought there was no point in making an action roguelite after Hades, but I was very happy to be proven wrong.

A man after my own heart. I think for me it kind of has to be Elden Ring, but Rogue Legacy 2 is easily #2 for me. In most other years it would be my GOTY. I've got 240 hours in RL2.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably Trombone Champ. It just sits there in it's own corner doing it's own thing and I love it.

I mean, games like Elden Ring and God of War Ragnarøk is of course better by all accounts, but they aren't Trombone Champ now, are they.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Triangle Strategy. Great, satisfying turn-based battles and an intriguing story. But please, for the sequel (if it happens) - get an editor.

Tunic. So many surprising secrets and a-ha moments, and great combat as well.

Elden Ring. No doubt this game is great, and I did enjoy the ten or so hours I played, but I don't have the patience or perseverance required. I also prefer snappier, less weighty combat so From's games are not my cup of tea.

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 12

I bought and completed Disco Elysium in one go. Does that count? I loved 90% of that game. I didn't play that many 2022 games.

Otherwise, it's probably Vampire Survivors with a bullet. Likely one of the most important games to come out in years, blew anything else out of the water, instantly spawned a saturated genre of lesser games.

Vampire Survivors: It's pretty good. Shoutouts Kirby and the Forgotten Land too. Goddamn that's one cheerful game. More games need to be like that.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To everyone, I really like your list of personal favorite games of 2022, thank you for sharing, so Merry Christmas and a happy new year!