When playing a new game\getting achievements, do you use a published game guide or the internet?

Avatar image for samsdaddy010106
SamsDaddy010106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SamsDaddy010106
Avatar image for samsdaddy010106
SamsDaddy010106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SamsDaddy010106

I have found that less and less am I actually buying commercial guides and instead going to the net for any help I need. The last few guides that I have purchased were either wrong in places(Fable 2) or had terrible presentation of info(Fallout 3).

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Sambambo

Why play a game if you are going to be told how to play it :|

The joy is in cracking the problem.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#4  Edited By ahoodedfigure

The only time I'd ever seek out a game guide is in an older game where there aren't many resources out there.  The only guides I ever purchased were part of package deals.  The rest of the time, it's pretty much the internet, and only if I'm really frustrated.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bhhawks78

Haven't bought an overpriced game guide since I was about ten and realized how awful/dumb/overpriced they are

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By zyn

Interwebz.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By Astras

I just wish someone would release a strategy guide for megalomania on the megadrive... I think I compleated it like 15 years ago.. and now I tried to play it again last week and cant get past the 3rd epoch, and can't work out how the hell to do it! 
Awesome game though!

Jaxboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Jaxboy

I only use a guide to help get the achievements related to collectibles.  There are rare exceptions, but trying get this type of achievement on my own usually turns the game into a tedious experience.

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Gmanall

Internet, because I am to lazy to get up and go to the store to search for 30 mins to find the right one and then drive home and play the game...

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By RichardLOlson

I think only 95% of the gamers use the internet as guides to help them through a game.....the other 5% just want to have more books or books about gaming to make themselves feel more superior to other gamers, but at the same time look like a jackass for having wasted the money on something they could have just looked up online for free...and then could have spent the money on something a bit more worth there money, like..I don't know...common sense.

Oh wait I forgot....you can't buy common sense, that just comes naturally for some people.

ArrrCee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By ArrrCee

The internet is quick, easy and can be updated. As much as I like books, books based on games can't add new strategies that come up so you're stuck with a staple stuck in time made from trees.
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PureRok

I only buy game guides to collect them, and then only for games like Zelda or Final Fantasy. I don't actually use them. I use to back in the day, but not anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@SuperSambo said:
" Why play a game if you are going to be told how to play it :|  The joy is in cracking the problem. "
 The next logical step are hacks for "self-play" that allow a game to play itself, unlocking all achievements in the process. Mark my words, it's the future of gaming.
Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Trilogy
@SuperSambo said:
" Why play a game if you are going to be told how to play it :|  The joy is in cracking the problem. "
Because finding all 100 hidden orbs for an achievement isn't a problem worth cracking without the internet...or at all.
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Skald

People actually buy game guides? I guess it's like the phrase P.T. Barnum allegedly said: "There's a sucker born every minute."

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By napalm

I think game guides are good for huge games such as GTA, or maybe a Final Fantasy. There's no reason to buy a game guide for Army Of Two: The 40th Day, or something.