Where is this week's episode of the Old Games Show?

iggnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I really liked that show. I hope it isn't canceled.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#2 FinalDasa  Moderator

It isn't a weekly show, more like when they have the time. And no it isn't cancelled to my knowledge. Nothing really gets "cancelled", more like shelved.

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SubliminalKitteh

This show was never guaranteed to be every week. Jeff just wants to show off old games whenever they have enough "interesting" games to fill a live show block of time. I assumed from the beginning that they were going to do a stream every other week, but we got a few streams in a row. Besides apparently they are moving downstairs so who knows if that's going on now, or when that'll happen...

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Today is only Wednesday and it doesn't have a specific day they guarantee they'll be doing it. It may be a thing Jeff wants to do when there isn't much going on and he has time to do it or something. I don't know. Jeff hasn't really said. Jeff doesn't like to make guarantees like that, though.

As for them moving, knowing the site as I do they would announce if it is going to affect their weekly "programming" or whatever you want to call it. They wouldn't do something as significant as moving without making an official announcement about it- considering how much it will affect the site and site content. So whenever they do move, assuming it will be significant (meaning they'll have to take some amount of time away from content because of it), I would expect them to say something about it on the site.

I'm sure they'll do another one whenever they have time to do/feel like doing another one. =)

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm boycotting that show until someone fucking plays TIE Fighter on it. And not that crappy Windows 95 version that Jeff played for ten seconds that one time, either. Real-ass DOS-ass TIE Fighter.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevin_cogneto: Just curious, why does it have to be the DOS version?

I never played tie fighter (I've never liked simulation games) so I have no pony in this race. I'm just curious how the 95 version is ba... ahem "crappy".

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Loading Video...

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevin_cogneto: Just curious, why does it have to be the DOS version?

I never played tie fighter (I've never liked simulation games) so I have no pony in this race. I'm just curious how the 95 version is ba... ahem "crappy".

Two reasons.

One, the DOS versions have an awesome interactive musical score which reacts to the action, which the Win 95 version replaced with stock, non-interractive music from the Star Wars movies. Granted, the original music was all midi, which I know some people might find dated now. But it was an incredible score, and it did a fantastic job reacting to what was happening in the game, not to mention it took the familiar Star Wars themes and twisted them in interesting ways to make the Empire seem more heroic.

Loading Video...

Two, the Win 95 version replaced the relatively clean, texture-less art style of the original game (which, granted, was mostly by necessity, though it had some cool gouraud shading effects) and added a bunch of ugly, blurry late-90s textures to everything. I mean you tell me which looks better. This?

No Caption Provided

Or this?

No Caption Provided

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevin_cogneto: I personally think the second one looks better, but that's because it's the same engine as Dark Forces 2. Well and also because I never could stand flat texture-less art (I'm not a fan of the look of old Star Fox games either).

I get what you're saying about midi, though. Midi was awesome so that's something I can get behind, but it's another one of those things that isn't a big deal to me.

Anyway, I was just curious. Thanks! =)

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Show's great, but it doesn't need to be weekly. I don't want it to become an obligation where they start farting out episodes just because.

Granted, there are so many old games! Every game that ever was or ever will be.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bah, nerts to all of you! Those textures look like shit, I tells ya!

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does't it usually happen, uhhh, early Friday morning here, so that's like late night Thursday in Cali? It's the one stream I catch from time to time while I sit in front of the computer with my cereal, yogurt and lemon juice before work.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Bah, nerts to all of you! Those textures look like shit, I tells ya!

Well, I'm certainly with you, the second screenshot seems unnecessarily noisy.

Anyway, I really love the Old Games Show. My favourite current feature. I hope they stick to early 90s or earlier though.

iggnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the answers. I guess they just played old games and called it Demo Derby instead.

Prestige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Prestige

OK, you guys correct me if I'm wrong, but there have only been 4 editions of the Old Games Show: March 26, April 8, April 22, and May 6. So it's 100% on schedule to happen every other Wednesday.

iggnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iggnight

@prestige: You are right. It has been every other week. It felt like they were happening every week, except when it was the big live live show, but I guess I was wrong about that.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

Was it the Bee show? It was one of those where nothing clicked, boring.