Which Major Race from Mass Effect is the Most Interesting/Coolest?

Hyuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll Which Major Race from Mass Effect is the Most Interesting/Coolest? (143 votes)

Human 6%
Asari 11%
Turian 18%
Krogan 13%
Geth 9%
Quarian 18%
Salarian 15%
Drell 9%

I was reading this gaf thread on all the collected info about the next Mass Effect game when I came across this little nugget of info:

"Next, a lineup of series’ standard main races was shown. Fans were then asked what two races would they get rid if they were forced to, with the majority picking Quarians and Krogan"

This was in relation to a special panel event that Bioware invited some hardcore ME fans to. But now I wonder how dedicated those fans really are, if they are willing to throw the two coolest races under the bus like that!

I mean who would want to get rid of Quarians or Krogans from those games? The Quarians are a race of awesome tech experts who developed a race of artificially intelligent robots that kicked them out of their home, but instead of dying, they developed suits that let them live on their ships. And the Krogans were brought up into the galactic civilization before their time because of how bad ass they are. Then they were infected with a genophage because no one could stand letting that much awesome spread throughout the galaxy.

If nothing else, Bioware did some pretty terrific world building with this series.

Am I alone here in thinking that these races are the most interesting? Plus they've got my main man Wrex, and my special lady Tali, so how could I say no to those two!

Which ME races do you find the most interesting or which ones would make the games an inferior experience?

Personally if I had to remove two major races from the game it would be asari and turians. Maybe humans.

• 
jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By jay_ray

Out of the ones listed I'd choose Drell and Quarians to ditch.

Also you be cray cray for removing the Asari and Turians (which I voted for), easily the most interesting races.

Avatar image for jediavenger1738
jediavenger1738

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I voted for the Geth. I thought it was really cool how Bioware turned them from your generic sci-fi evil robot species to a species that actually wasn't all that evil, and the Geth you face in ME 1 are actually heretics. I also thought it was pretty great that you could even see that they were in the moral right in the whole Geth/Quarian conflict, seeing has how the Quarians basically tried to commit genocide against a sentient race. And Legion, he was a cool dude.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By csl316

I like the Asari and Turians, but something about the Salarians just makes them interesting. They're brilliant, their military teams are bad ass, they're cultured, and their look is certainly unique.

Edit: I'd remove the Vorcha because the mean ones are very mean.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

This is an outrage, the answer is the Elcor. I WISH YOU WERE DEAD

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Andorski

@bisonhero said:

This is an outrage, the answer is the Elcor. I WISH YOU WERE DEAD

OP clearly did not see Macbeth with an all-Elcor cast.

[edit] Also, out of all the species to get rid of in the Mass Effect Universe, the obvious answer would be humans.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

Well, both Quarians and Krogans have some species-wide issues. Krogans are far too aggressive to really become an advanced, super-powerful race. A race that is more reserved and much smarter than them could beat them.

Quarians are, to paraphrase one Jeff Goldblum, too preoccuupied with whether or not they can do something to stop and think if they should. And so we got the Geth.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, I haven't delved into the Mass Effect codex too much, but Asari and Turians are both pretty advanced races. They're both very much in control of themselves. They can be aggressive, but they can direct it toward where it needs to go or just not act on it. They're both very intelligent races but they wouldn't make something that can destroy themselves. They are both races that, collectively, know when to act, how to act, and what to do, which is why they and the Salarians are dominant in the government in the Mass Effect universe. Humans are pretty much that way, too, but haven't been around for long enough to have a position on that council in ME1.

I don't want to get rid of any of the species in the Mass Effect universe. I think they all play off of each other really well and in interesting ways to make a universe that seems complex and believable. Except for maybe the Hanar. And the Elcor.

EDIT: Oh, and I probably like the Turians best.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Elcor, also whatever race Francis York Morgan is.

Hyuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't include Elcor/hanar/volus/vorcha etc because you never get one in your party, so I didn't count them as main races. Also, because then everyone would pick elcor, and that's just no fun.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

Why are drell even on the list. There are only about 100,000 of them left alive. Elcor, hanar, and volus are much more important races if you're talking in-fiction. Sure, the fact that there is a drell squad member means most people are more familiar with them, but in terms of their galactic significance, they have none.

Anyway, I voted for the Geth. As a race, they had best arc across the three games, and it was refreshing to see Bioware move away from the "AI are always evil" trope that a lot of science fiction leans heavily on. As for which two races I'd remove (if I had to) it would be the vorcha and the hanar.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I like the balance of them all, not really a stand out. They've done a good job making them all pretty interesting.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Salarian just because of their short lifespan

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@hyuzen said:

I didn't include Elcor/hanar/volus/vorcha etc because you never get one in your party, so I didn't count them as main races. Also, because then everyone would pick elcor, and that's just no fun.

I would pick Hanar. They look so squishy :D

Hyuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: Yeah, I was mostly talking interesting in a story setting. So much of the big setups in the series centered around quarian and krogan actions, while the asari, turians and humans were left to deal with it. It makes for some interesting interplay, but some of the reasons you listed for why the asari and turians are the superior race also make them a bit more boring. Outside of turians being experts in military stuff I don't know much about what makes them special.

maybe that's because I also didn't read any of the codex.

Yeah, I like all the races and how they interact, which is why I wanted it to be about which are peoples favourites from the series.

aerobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By aerobie

Before I read your post I was going to say Quarian/Krogan, real crazy that people would want to get rid of them.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Turians are cool, but most interesting? Come on. They are the least interesting. I voted for salarians because they are the opposite of all the other races in many ways, where Asari and Krogans live very long lives, Salarians live like 40 year max, their metabolism is very fast, everything they do is fast, and they are responsible for one of the most interesting piece of lore, the genophage. Also Mordin is a Salarian, and he is the best Mass Effect character because he bears the genophage on his shoulders.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ThunderSlash

Turians because they are motherfucking Space Romans. I still want to go to a Turian city in these games.

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, the most interesting alien species in the Mass Effect series is the Asari.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted Turians, but now that I think of it, I don't know whether what I think of Turians now is canon, or whether it was made up from the fanfiction 'The Spirit of Redemption'. Haha, if it was non-canon stuff, then I'd change my vote to Geth or Salarians.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Turians look the coolest, Geth are the most interesting.

LucidDreams117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Poll is a lie! It's the Elcor!!

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humans. They were able to achive what the rest of the races were able to do in a much shorter time. Hell, it didn't take them long before they have the USS Sir Issac Newton.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I like the Asari. They are the super race of that universe that won the genetic jackpot. They have a long ass life, they are hermaphrodites that can breed with anything, they all seem to have innate psi powers, and I find how as a society they found a way to make slavery work a really fascinating concept.

If it was to get rid of them, I guess Turian and Drell. I just found their races rather bland and unintersting as well as their characters. If we can expand it to any race and not just a main character race, then I would pick the elcore and those fat midget guys that seem to only be there for comic relief.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surprised by all the Elcor hate, those guys are so nice! I would get rid of the Hanar or the Drell.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted humans, they were always the most complex and interesting characters because they weren't tied to any preconditioned view of the "baseline alien".

Seeing humans react to things is more interesting than weird alien stuff the aliens have. Theres always that issue with writing for aliens in sci-fi, you want to establish the race so you want to try and keep their attitudes and personalities consistent but you want them to stand out as characters and usually the individual characters suffer. You see it ALL the time in stuff like star trek, and mass effect is guilty of it as well, sure not so much in the main cast, but the side and one-off characters? yeah...that quarian? guess what he's gonna talk about his stupid immune system alot and whine about the geth probably.

If i had to get rid of two races? Uh the quarians cus they're awful and stupid and i hate them. And uh? One of the lesser developed races, the hanar, elcor that sorta thing.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfazed. This query does not represent my choice.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Lets just get some real talk up in here I voted for the Asari because I want to have sex with a blue alien lady.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NTM

"Coolest", probably Krogan, most interesting? All of them? :D That's really hard to choose. I like them all. I like the Asari home world (before it was destroyed). Oh, with all the being said though, I'm not voting since I actually do like them all equally in general.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NTM

@jediavenger1738 said:

I voted for the Geth. I thought it was really cool how Bioware turned them from your generic sci-fi evil robot species to a species that actually wasn't all that evil, and the Geth you face in ME 1 are actually heretics. I also thought it was pretty great that you could even see that they were in the moral right in the whole Geth/Quarian conflict, seeing has how the Quarians basically tried to commit genocide against a sentient race. And Legion, he was a cool dude.

Whoa, you're going all sci-fi (unless you're not one to consider Star Wars a sci-fi). You have a (Deep Space Nine?) Star Trek icon, a Star Wars name, and you're posting on a Mass Effect thread... Yay! Sorry, that's a bit random, but I thought that was cool.

Dasacant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I found the Salerians to be the most interesting, I like that they are the spies of the universe and of the council races they are the most tech focused. I never really liked the Asarii I always thought they had too much going for them. They have the best warriors, they live the longest, everyone is attracted to them (even salerians who don't feel attraction like the rest of the organic species), they are the most diplomatic, almost all of them are biotics, and they have the most advanced technology. As individuals they are not so bad but taken as a whole they are a little bit to much for me.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

My vote goes to the Geth. They were expanded in Mass Effect 2 from the generic "evil robot" to a pretty cool race that still felt different than most other races in the galaxy.

My only problem is that you get Legion very late in the game. I wish it would have been in my party for longer.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31  Edited By veektarius

I picked the Geth, because even though they're kind of a generic 'borg-robot-hive-mind' archetype, ME takes an interesting step in taking that starting point and turning them into an actual society that can advance and divide on itself.

Also, I would totally ditch the Krogan and probably the Asari as well. The former because they're not even as interesting as Klingons (they're basically army ants, genocide those fuckers) , the latter because they're sort of wish-fulfillment blue human-looking-hot-chicks-so-why-don't-you-go-ahead-and-bang-them. Dont' get me wrong, I can appreciate quasi-human alien races, but among the other ME races, they feel out of place. Didn't help that ME1 Liara is my least favorite out of all the party members in all the games.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the Drell are pretty cool, but the Hanar are probably my favorite.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By donchipotle

The most interesting race is the Geth. The least interesting one (other than humans because they are fucking humans) is the Krogan. The Krogan are super lame and people like them just because they like Wrex a bunch. It's a species based on fighting and killing and being rawdog to each other, fuck that noise. The Asari at least have the Justicars which are the coolest things they have going and it's a shame so few of them are in existence because space wizard samurai knights is awesome. Otherwise the asari kinda seem like the spoiled rich girl of the galaxy and the whole backpacking off the Protheans doesn't help their case. The other races are all fine, though the salarians are rad because it's a race of caffeine addicts who kill with the power of science.

They can go ahead and ditch the quarians though. I am totally space racist against those space gypsy suit wearing freaks. Also you have stupid ship names. And no one likes Tali.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is an almost impossible question but I really love the Geth. I think they have the most interesting story but in reality all of the races are really awesome, with the exception of the Krogan. However the fact that Krogan males have 4 testicles is really fucking weird.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Fuck you, Elcor.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#36  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I like the Turians the most. Garrus is a badass.