which nes game is better

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for johnray53602025
JohnRay53602025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll which nes game is better (45 votes)

Super Mario Bros 3 84%
Legend Of Zelda 24%

which is better

• 
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I severely dislike the original Zelda. It's probably just because I was too dumb to figure it out as a kid. I should play through that thing now.

Avatar image for deactivated-62a216db3532b
deactivated-62a216db3532b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't even have to think about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SMB3. Always Super Mario Bro's 3.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By Tireyo

Super Mario Bros. 3 of course!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Zelda.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I severely dislike the original Zelda. It's probably just because I was too dumb to figure it out as a kid. I should play through that thing now.

Problem with the first LoZ game was a complete lack of direction. It was a very, VERY prototypical open-world game which resulted in a game that had you aimlessly wandering around. It was one of the shining examples of games that required a strategy guide to get anywhere in, or at least the map from Nintendo Power.

SMB3 was my selection, as it's a game that has held up much better against the test of time.

Buble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I still go back to SMB3 every few months. It's been years since I've touched the original Zelda.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@yukoasho said:

@toowalrus said:

Problem with the first LoZ game was a complete lack of direction. It was a very, VERY prototypical open-world game which resulted in a game that had you aimlessly wandering around. It was one of the shining examples of games that required a strategy guide to get anywhere in, or at least the map from Nintendo Power.

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

Zelda did a lot of cool things and really encouraged exploration, but it required a huge amount of trial and error to actually figure out what you were supposed to do, or the use of a walkthrough. Still a pretty great game, but the lack of direction was a big flaw.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

@yukoasho said:

@toowalrus said:

SMB3 was my selection, as it's a game that has held up much better against the test of time.

For me it's not so much the aimless wandering that's objectionable, personally I like it when games take the training wheels off any let you figure out how to proceed on your own. The objectionable part to me about Legend of Zelda is all the "push this very specific rock in a very specific direction to proceed" bullshit.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@keres - There it is. In this regard at least, I found Zelda II to be much better. Of course, Zelda II had other issues.

@kevin_cogneto The specific rock in a specific direction thing is rather part of it, though. So much of how to progress in that game was completely and totally fucking arbitrary. Compare this game to Link to the Past. It's nowhere near as hand-holdy as GameCube and Wii games, but you're never not told where to go. It just becomes a question of "how do I get there?" An open-world game shouldn't drag you by the nose, but it should respect you enough to at least give you an idea of WTF to do. Even the Neutopia games were better about this.

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

That last dungeon is fucking retarded...just played through it, a month or so back...I dont recommend if your not a patient person.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The original Legend of Zelda has aged horribly. Doesn't help that SMB3 is one of the best Mario games. SMB3 any day in this scenario.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

These kinds of "battle" polls are considered spam here on Giant Bomb. Locking this down.