Which racing game should I play?!

Woowookins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which racing game should I play?! (92 votes)

Mario Kart 8 (200cc!) 35%
Euro Truck Simulator 2 (Not technically racing, but I can listen to podcasts in it while driving.) 45%
Grid 2 (Not actually tried this much, it came in a humblebundle.) 13%
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (Played mostly with friends.) 20%
Shift 2 Unleashed (Got some hours in this, sorta liked it.) 5%
TrackMania2 Canyon (Actually didn't like this much, but putting it up here..) 10%
Need for Speed: Most Wanted (Original one. I could whip out some classics I guess?) 11%
Need for Speed: Underground 2 (Oh boy.. Can't find the first one, I'm sure I had it..) 10%
Need for Speed: Most Wanted (New one: Had some minor time with this, my laptop couldn't run it at launch, got a PC now.) 8%
Need for Speed: Undercover (I hardly remember this one..) 0%

After watching the Dirt Rally QL, I felt like playing a racing game, but I have so many, and feel no affinity towards any one of them in particular, so how about a vote?

I'm allowing multiple choices, just so it'll be easier to vote, I think?

Also, a question. How do you people feel when a car game gives you cars to use? I always feel like I lose my connection to it all when games are like that. I prefer to work hard and buy the cars I want, cause then they're mine. How about you?

Anyway, these are the games I own. If you have any suggestions on better ones, feel free to suggest them, as long as they're cheap, as I'm broke, but please vote as well on the ones above. :D

Thank you to everyone who'll vote!

• 
Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Euro Truck, brother!

Why are there all these other titles in a thread that's clearly about Euro Truck?

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Burnout Paradise.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Anything but NFS: Undercover. That game is terrible. The rest of the games on that list are somewhere between kinda ok and great.

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Forza Horizon, Forza Horizon 2, or Burnout Paradise? You're breaking my heart, Woowookins. :-P

I think Burnout Paradise is on Steam for like 20 dollars or something. It's a much beloved romp through madness. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat... though come on, Euro Truck Simulator 2 is the obvious winner here. *cackles*

Woowookins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Forza Horizon, Forza Horizon 2, or Burnout Paradise? You're breaking my heart, Woowookins. :-P

I think Burnout Paradise is on Steam for like 20 dollars or something. It's a much beloved romp through madness. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat... though come on, Euro Truck Simulator 2 is the obvious winner here. *cackles*

Yeah, I never really cared for playing proper racing games on a console (Mario Kart being the obvious exception). I guess I could potentially borrow Paradise from a friend, but for now, would prefer one from my list.

Funny how the only non-racing game is the one who's getting the most votes. :P

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lazyimperial said:

Yeah, I never really cared for playing proper racing games on a console (Mario Kart being the obvious exception). I guess I could potentially borrow Paradise from a friend, but for now, would prefer one from my list.

Funny how the only non-racing game is the one who's getting the most votes. :P

Burnout isn't really a proper racing game like you would think of Gran Turismo or Forza. It is crazy, featuring spectacular crashes, an awesome open world to drive around going 180 mph, and a long single player with tons of fictional cars to unlock. There is a reason why Jeff says Burnout Paradise was the best game to come out on the last generation of consoles.

Woowookins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Burnout isn't really a proper racing game like you would think of Gran Turismo or Forza. It is crazy, featuring spectacular crashes, an awesome open world to drive around going 180 mph, and a long single player with tons of fictional cars to unlock. There is a reason why Jeff says Burnout Paradise was the best game to come out on the last generation of consoles.

I believe I've tried it. My friend brought it over years ago and we tried some multiplayer, which I think we mutually decided sucked and ended up playing Trivial Pursuit or something. :P
I'll ask him about borrowing it at some point for the singleplayer. ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got Shift 2, Euro Truck Simulator & Hot Pursuit, they're all enjoyable but completely different from each other. Shift 2 you'll buy & modify cars which sounds like it's what you're after.

Woowookins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got Shift 2, Euro Truck Simulator & Hot Pursuit, they're all enjoyable but completely different from each other. Shift 2 you'll buy & modify cars which sounds like it's what you're after.

I remember feeling that disconnect there too though.. Like suddenly you'd randomly get a car for whatever race you were going to do, but I might be mistaken. And the car tuning.. I could drown into that just to try beating the laptime on the first track, for hours.

Abetorias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pod Racer. That game is way better than it has any right to be.

Soppen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Underground 2 and Most Wanted (old one) is NFS at it's best. They have really gone downhill from there. I remember playing alot of NFS: High Stakes too (or Road Challenge as it was called in Europe) many years ago on PC. That one was hard, because of the repair-system in career mode. Had to spend all your winnings on repairing your AAA-class cars... It made me really good at racing games though. ;)

Woowookins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Woowookins

So, I guess I'll be playing Euro Truck Simulator 2 this weekend, along with some Mario Kart 8. :)
Have to admit, I loaded up Shift 2 a bit and cruised around in it. I still sorta like it.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

With Project Cars coming out, I'm waiting to hear read some reviews on that one before really deciding on picking it up. I got The Crew for free with my GTX 970 video card and I felt ripped off by that.

Woowookins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Project CARS looked great on the QL, but kind of just like any other car game. Not quite sure what the killer deal would be with it, but guess I'll just wait and see.

Never tried The Crew, and don't really feel any need to.

bhizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Oh man, get on that NFS: Underground 2, even if just for the soundtrack. Killing Joke, Rise Against, QOTSA! C'mon.

Woowookins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bhizzy said:

Oh man, get on that NFS: Underground 2, even if just for the soundtrack. Killing Joke, Rise Against, QOTSA! C'mon.

I've been thinking about it a lot lately.. I remember my VW Golf, not even fully upgraded, winning against all of the Nissan Skyline players because they would keep hitting walls, while I could just cruise through. I miss that Golf, it looked really cool and green. Called it "The Frog".

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess the killer deal with Project Cars is the intention to give a PC racer experience on a console. Certainly from a customisable standpoint. SimBin (now Slightly Mad)'s previous racers had some decent AI in them, too.

I do struggle with racers unless they give me some goals to aim for, mind. Gran Turismo and Forza pull me in as its effectively Pokemon for gearheads.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Voted for Shift 2 and Grid 2 among those choices. Would also like to suggest Forza Horizon 2. Very fun and quite gorgeous, easy and laid back fun.

I play more sim type racers myself, and really wanna try Project Cars and especially DiRT Rally. Could be the dirt game I've really wanted all along, as I really loved the old Colin McRae rally games. :)

bhizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@woowookins said:

@bhizzy said:

I've been thinking about it a lot lately.. I remember my VW Golf, not even fully upgraded, winning against all of the Nissan Skyline players because they would keep hitting walls, while I could just cruise through. I miss that Golf, it looked really cool and green. Called it "The Frog".

The Frog needs you back in Underground 2 Land.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Forza Horizon games would probably be where I would start.

I'm also partial to Project Gotham Racing 4 (PGR4, only on 360)

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Assetto Corsa.

For career mode, I really like the Forza series when it was about circuit racing.

Woowookins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assetto Corsa.

For career mode, I really like the Forza series when it was about circuit racing.

Been curious about Assetto Corsa, but I feel like that game was made for a steeringwheel etc, which I don't have. Or am I wrong about the need for that?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Hot Pursuit for multiplayer, original Most Wanted for single player.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By gundogan

@woowookins said:
@hypnotoadbrwowrowrow said:

Assetto Corsa.

Been curious about Assetto Corsa, but I feel like that game was made for a steeringwheel etc, which I don't have. Or am I wrong about the need for that?

It plays alright with a controller. I actually play it quite a bit with one since I'm too lazy to set up the wheel every time, but with games like Assetto Corsa, Project CARS (which btw doesn't play well with a controller out of the box, but you can tweak that) and other sim stuff, you'll get more enjoyment out of them with a wheel.

AC should prolly be 50% off next Steam summer sale (was -50% last week I think). Shame you don't like Burnout Paradise. That one usually is like 4 dollars every steam sale which is a steal. NFS Hot Pursuit is solid too and also around that price when on sale (you already have that one whoops!). Dunno for how much the new Grid Autosport goes when on sale, but that game is alright too if you can find it cheap.

Woowookins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gundogan said:
@woowookins said:
@hypnotoadbrwowrowrow said:

Assetto Corsa.

It plays alright with a controller. I actually play it quite a bit with one since I'm too lazy to set up the wheel every time, but with games like Assetto Corsa, Project CARS (which btw doesn't play well with a controller out of the box, but you can tweak that) and other sim stuff, you'll get more enjoyment out of them with a wheel.

AC should prolly be 50% off next Steam summer sale (was -50% last week I think). Shame you don't like Burnout Paradise. That one usually is like 4 dollars every steam sale which is a steal. NFS Hot Pursuit is solid too and also around that price when on sale (you already have that one whoops!). Dunno for how much the new Grid Autosport goes when on sale, but that game is alright too if you can find it cheap.

I'll keep an eye out. :)