Who has the better Zombie game?

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By ch13696

A lot of people are going on about how Call of Duty World at War and Black Ops has the best Zombie mode ever (I don't know why I capitalized the "Z" in Zombie, but it just feels right). I keep going on to tell them than Left 4 Dead is literally the best one because that's all Valve focus's on is just Zombies. Now, I haven't played the Zombie modes in World at War or Black Ops, but it's safe to assume that Left 4 Dead will always satisfy me when I want to kill a lot of Zombies. The way I look at it is, would you rather go to Wal-Mart for all your gaming needs or Gamestop? You would rather to a place that focus's on just games because most of the time they can help you with what you need (I understand some of your arguments on Gamestop, but I'm just trying to make a point). 

So what do you guys think? Is this just Activisions hype that's blinding gamers from what the real deal is? Or does World at War and Black Ops truly have the best Zombie game out there?

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ch13696

I really do need opinions on this. So bump.

RankRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By RankRabbit

Left 4 Dead games, mostly because I love the characters.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By zeforgotten

Never saw a single zombie in Left 4 Dead. 
I did enjoy it a lot though back when it released and a few months forward but Nazi Zombies has kept me way more entertained. 
That shit gets so intense and all the great support Treyarc put towards that mode was great so I myself pick that over Left 4 Dead any day. 

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Lukeweizer

Poll?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By LordXavierBritish

Left 4 Dead is just more mechanically interesting to begin with. 

The atmosphere, setting, characters, and undead are way better too, but hey whatever goes bro.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Raymayne

I vastly prefer Treyarch's zombies. Can play it for hours, for me it captures the whole notion of trying to survive in some abandoned building somewhere during a zombie invasion, boarding up the windows, setting up traps, saving your ammo, all that sorta stuff makes it a great atmosphere which just seems to be lacking in L4D. Plus the little flair of insanity that Treyarch add with the mystery box, alien weapons, power ups, etc, just make it a hell of a lot of fun.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obviously a game focused around zombies with interesting characters is going to be better-made (for most people) than a side-mode of a military FPS.  That said, the BlackOps/WAW Zombie modes is "hell of" fun with a friend in split screen.  Crazy moments to be had.

DiabolicSabin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DiabolicSabin

I can definitely see the attraction of the CoD Zombie mode.  Being stuck in one location and trying to keep it fortified is compelling and a lot of fun for me conceptually.  What I don't care for in the CoD Zombie mode is the fact that it is just survival mode (ie. keep playing till you die).  I don't mind that type of game play but I prefer L4D because survival mode is just one of the modes.  I can still play something that has a deeper objective than just stay alive.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ch13696
@Lukeweizer said:
" Poll? "
This doesn't require one because I'm only looking for opinions on what is better. If I do a poll, then I won't see as much feedback.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ch13696
@Raymayne said:
" I vastly prefer Treyarch's zombies. Can play it for hours, for me it captures the whole notion of trying to survive in some abandoned building somewhere during a zombie invasion, boarding up the windows, setting up traps, saving your ammo, all that sorta stuff makes it a great atmosphere which just seems to be lacking in L4D. Plus the little flair of insanity that Treyarch add with the mystery box, alien weapons, power ups, etc, just make it a hell of a lot of fun. "
L4D pretty much has the same thing. Except there's no limited amount of ammo. Basically you're stuck in a building or a closed off area and you're trying to kill of wave after waves of Zombies. On top of that you still have the special infected and the tank which takes forever to kill. Now, if it was just regular zombies in L4D then I can understand having limited amount of ammo.
Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By Atlas

Plants vs. Zombies.

ExitMusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ExitMusic

Kind of tough to compare a full game to a mode in another game. They're also completely different styles of gameplay. One is defending a point against zombies, the other is point A to point B.

Left 4 Dead is probably "better", but you have to buy a whole game, it isn't just a part of another game you already own. Besides, Killing Floor is better than both of them.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Kyreo

Dead Space is the closest thing to a perfect zombie survival game. IMO

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By nickux

Left 4 Dead has the best modern zombies while the original Resident Evil games have the greatest slow-moving shuffling zeds.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By DukeTogo

The best zombie game hasn't been made yet, but I'm working on it.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#17  Edited By Little_Socrates

The little bit I've played of WaW tells me that the two are not at all intended to be compared. They get their scares in completely different ways. L4D's standard infected aren't scary, but whenever a Special Infected does their job effectively (or a Tank shows up, or, as a newb, you encounter a Witch) it is scary as hell. Now, granted, I'm pretty dulled to L4D after 40 to 60 hours of play between the two games, but those were the aspects of the game that were initially scary. The other scary thing about L4D, of course, are "dread zones"; sections of individual levels from the campaign where, in versus mode, strong special infected players KNOW they can screw the survivors. For example, the original L4D had three or four dread zones in "No Mercy", and of course, there's the corn field in "Blood Harvest." 

Alternatively, WaW (and, by extension, Black Ops) is scary because of the "lurching horror." More similar to George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead than the clear 28 Days Later inspiration of L4D, individual zombies actually soak bullets that aren't aimed straight at their head. As a result, the individual zombies actually offer more of a threat, even if individual zombies are still pretty easy to deal with. However, the horrific elements of WaW really step in as more areas of the building become available. With two players, you quickly become overwhelmed each trying to cover four or five entry points; with four players, you're still doomed. It'll all end eventually, and that's what makes the CoD Zombies mode scary; the sense of inevitable defeat encroaches on your subconscious as your conscious mind realizes that you're starting to become overwhelmed. 

If you're not looking for a scare, though, then I'd argue that the L4D titles are better than WaW. With more going on, more variation in levels, and a versus mode, the game is just more consistent, and the shooting mechanics in WaW just aren't as solid as those in the IW games. That said, I haven't played Black Ops yet, so if the mechanics of Black Ops are more akin to the Modern Warfare games than to WaW, preference of the CoD mechanics could be enough to make the Black Ops zombies mode a better recommendation. I'm personally not that into the CoD mechanics anymore, so I know I'd prefer more L4D, but I could understand somebody who likes CoD preferring the Black Ops zombies mode when they're not chasing a scare.

Fudgeblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Fudgeblood
@Little_Socrates: Sorry, but comparing which is scarier is pointless. Neither are scary enough to actually scare anyone except for the occasional shock from a zombie jumping out behind you and neither games were designed to scare, at all. 
Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Romination

I'm gonna let you finish, but Capcom had one of the best zombie franchises OF ALL TiME.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#20  Edited By Little_Socrates
@Fudgeblood: The horror moments of these games are not that scary, that's true. Both games generally operate on the two pieces of horror before that, suspense and terror. Terror is the hardest to maintain, of course, and the CoD Zombies mode is actually great at maintaining a breaking point between suspense and terror. Assuming you genuinely want to last as long as possible and are not cool, calculated professionals, it actually does maintain that line well at the more difficult sections of the game. 

Meanwhile, the "OH SHIT" moment, the part of horror called terror, is the crux of L4D. That Tank music still gets me on the Expert difficulty mode, and and if I'm against good opponents in Versus the "dread zones" are at least suspenseful. 

In neither game does the game achieve true "horror", though. The result of having screwed up to the point of death is not punishing enough; if it were gorier, if it were more visceral, then yes, horror might be achieved. However, dying in both of these games is just kind of "meh" once it actually happens, so the moments of horror are lost. But just like the chainsaw wielding maniacs at early levels of play in Resident Evil 4, these guys WERE scary when I was worse at the game. I don't own either Treyarch CoD game, so I haven't played their zombies mode nearly as much as L4D, but the encroaching sense of defeat does set in effectively in that game, and if you were trying to last as long as possible as opposed to just playing for kicks, it'd be successfully scary.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ch13696
@ExitMusic said:
" Kind of tough to compare a full game to a mode in another game. They're also completely different styles of gameplay. One is defending a point against zombies, the other is point A to point B.  Left 4 Dead is probably "better", but you have to buy a whole game, it isn't just a part of another game you already own. Besides, Killing Floor is better than both of them. "
I'm only comparing them because I keep hearing other people claim that WaW and Black Ops Zombie mode is better than L4D. If you want a true comparison, then compare L4D's Survival mode with WaW and Black Ops Zombie mode. Those 2 modes are pretty identical right?
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BraveToaster
@Romination said:

" I'm gonna let you finish, but Capcom had one of the best zombie franchises OF ALL TiME. "

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mmmslash

It's a matter of whether you prefer run and gun action, or claustrophobic survival.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ch13696
@Axxol said:
" @Romination said:

" I'm gonna let you finish, but Capcom had one of the best zombie franchises OF ALL TiME. "

"

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By groin
@ch13696 said:

" @ExitMusic said:

" Kind of tough to compare a full game to a mode in another game. They're also completely different styles of gameplay. One is defending a point against zombies, the other is point A to point B.  Left 4 Dead is probably "better", but you have to buy a whole game, it isn't just a part of another game you already own. Besides, Killing Floor is better than both of them. "
I'm only comparing them because I keep hearing other people claim that WaW and Black Ops Zombie mode is better than L4D. If you want a true comparison, then compare L4D's Survival mode with WaW and Black Ops Zombie mode. Those 2 modes are pretty identical right? "
COD zombies allows you to purchase and upgrade weapons during the map. They also introduced perks into the later maps. Some of the maps have traps and teleporters. 
In short,  L4D's Survival mode and WaW/Black Ops Zombie mode are not identical.
eshchan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By eshchan

Let's look at it this way: COD BO has a zombie mode while L4D is a zombie game. Now, if you say COD zombie mode is better then you are saying that something  Treyarch did a mod or an add-on is better than something Valve did as a game. That does put Treyarch a better game developing company than Valve. That is something I am not going to agree with.  

Having said that, I am sure COD BO zombie mode is fun to play and very successful because it was brought back from COD WAW, but I think Valve put more effort on making L4D.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By vaiz

I can't think of an appropriately sarcastic and witty game comparison between two conceptually similar but mechanically different games here that is quite as invalid as comparing L4D and Nazi Zombies, so just pretend I did and quote me with a "this".

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kishan6
@ch13696: easily left 4 dead 
nazi zombies gets boring soooooooo easily 
and left 4 dead actually makes you feel like ur in a zombie invasion and has competitive multi