*why cant we be friends!! Why cant weeee be friends!*

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By OmegaPirate

Alright so a while back i posted up a thread about the future of consoles and directions they were heading -

This promply led to the discussion about a one console future and everything surrounding it -- which in turn led to everyone deciding that a one console future was bad all round

Bad for games
Bad for the industry
Bad for quality
Bad for how much we'd get raped financially

So taking that into account - how come we seem to be continually bitching eachother out and using our game preferance as some kind of e-penis boosting tool
Theres nothing wrong with having a console prefearnce - and taking pride in the good that occurs - however ripping someone for it  - imho is pointless and unnacetable

I for example dont have a taste for the wii - i can see the appeal and understand why people like it- but im not going to take the mick whenever one of their games doesnt sell well - or changes exclusivity - in fact you didnt see wii users going
"OMFGWTFBBQ WE GOTZ DEAD RISING ! XBOTZ ARE CRYINGLOLZ!"

I cant see how we can all agree that each consoles existance is necessary - and then proceed to make life as hard as possible for eachother - and generally miserable.

I worked damn hard and still do, i work 42 hours a week in a job i hate, but each time i turn my ps3 and play with my mates, it makes it all worhtwhile -and i damn well dont appreciate some guy with a napoleon complex using my decision as a reason to boost himself above his schoolboy paranoia.

Everyone is entitled to the same right - so the question is - do you think a lot of the troll flaming is necessary - do you think we should all respect eachother a bit more and appreciate what we have?

And if so, what can we do about it as a gaming community>?
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Endogene

Well there is no "we" as a community, if change is to be seen it can only be on a personal level of each user. It is hard (although not impossible) to change a person's behaviour.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jayge_

One console future is the better future, although not likely.

Regardless.

Troll flaming is never necessary. Flaming might occasionally be necessary. Appreciation is never possible in the gaming industry, at least not to Reggie Fils-Aime, who amicably quotes "the core gamers are never satisfied, they're always hungry for more". Yes, Reggie. We're all huge and fat, with gigantic eating complexes.

See, what Reggie doesn't get is, some of us like salad, but only part of the time. We men need 16 oz. steaks for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Things like XBLA and Playstation Store are just the fully loaded baked potatoes, and competent internet services are the gravy. Companies pandering to us with apologies and promises is the accompanying beer. Nobody wants Nintendo's panzie-ass salad with weak, light dressing as a topping! It's time to drop trou and present Nintendo with our manhoods, time to force them to acknowledge that we hold our genitaelia in high regard and will not submit to anything less than lumberjack-worthy packaging, which their family-value, wholesome dinners don't provide!

This entire post was meant to be written in a satirical manner, by the way, so don't go flailing your gigantic Wii-motes at me, red-named peoples. I still love you and your healthy diets.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Vaxadrin

Ford sucks!  Chevy all the way!

Cowboys suck!  Eagles all the way!

Oreos suck!  Chips ahoy all the way!

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By BiggerBomb
Jayge said:
"One console future is the better future,

A one console future might be "better" for message boards, because there would no longer be fan boys and system wars. Economically, it is a worse future. Competition is good for the consumer. What is good for the market is what is good for us.
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By OmegaPirate
Vaxadrin said:
"Ford sucks!  Chevy all the way!

Cowboys suck!  Eagles all the way!

Oreos suck!  Chips ahoy all the way!"
O Rly??
calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By calf_exercises
DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By DARKIDO07
BiggerBomb said:
"Jayge said:

A one console future might be "better" for message boards, because there would no longer be fan boys and system wars. Economically, it is a worse future. Competition is good for the consumer. What is good for the market is what is good for us."
Correct Competition forces the market to expand. Nintendo made a joystick, Sony used that. Microsoft made Live, Sony adopted that. Sony makes Home, Microsoft redesigns the whole Xbox Live interface and features. NIntendo makes a motion sensing controller, Sony makes Sixaxis, Sony puts a Blu -Ray player in every PS3, Microsoft develops HD-DVD drive, fails, and now is looking at Blu-Ray. Competition forces games to adapt, without developers could shove out the same shovelware and gamers would be at the mercy of them. Besides can you really see Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft all agreeing with each other? I can't.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jayge_
DARKIDO07 said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Jayge said:

A one console future might be "better" for message boards, because there would no longer be fan boys and system wars. Economically, it is a worse future. Competition is good for the consumer. What is good for the market is what is good for us."
Correct Competition forces the market to expand. Nintendo made a joystick, Sony used that. Microsoft made Live, Sony adopted that. Sony makes Home, Microsoft redesigns the whole Xbox Live interface and features. NIntendo makes a motion sensing controller, Sony makes Sixaxis, Sony puts a Blu -Ray player in every PS3, Microsoft develops HD-DVD drive, fails, and now is looking at Blu-Ray. Competition forces games to adapt, without developers could shove out the same shovelware and gamers would be at the mercy of them. Besides can you really see Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft all agreeing with each other? I can't."
Must we turn this thread into another discussion on why people who are ignorant on the meaning of the "one console future" theory shouldn't comment on it?
shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By shotaro
Jayge said:
"DARKIDO07 said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Jayge said:

Correct Competition forces the market to expand. Nintendo made a joystick, Sony used that. Microsoft made Live, Sony adopted that. Sony makes Home, Microsoft redesigns the whole Xbox Live interface and features. NIntendo makes a motion sensing controller, Sony makes Sixaxis, Sony puts a Blu -Ray player in every PS3, Microsoft develops HD-DVD drive, fails, and now is looking at Blu-Ray. Competition forces games to adapt, without developers could shove out the same shovelware and gamers would be at the mercy of them. Besides can you really see Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft all agreeing with each other? I can't."
Must we turn this thread into another discussion on why people who are ignorant on the meaning of the "one console future" theory shouldn't comment on it?"
but Jayge to say that shows no actual knowledge or understanding of economics - if there is no competition there is no need to improve look at microsoft each OS they release is shittier than the last but because they own the market at some point everyone will end up adopting whatever they release - even Vista try buying a PC or Laptop now that doesn't have it bundled.

A one console market would mean more expensive consoles - less originality in games, less technological advances a competitive market is a healthy market and a one console market will bring the burgeoning games indusrty to a grinding and painful halt.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jayge_
Shotaro said:
"but Jayge to say that shows no actual knowledge or understanding of economics - if there is no competition there is no need to improve look at microsoft each OS they release is shittier than the last but because they own the market at some point everyone will end up adopting whatever they release - even Vista try buying a PC or Laptop now that doesn't have it bundled.

A one console market would mean more expensive consoles - less originality in games, less technological advances a competitive market is a healthy market and a one console market will bring the burgeoning games indusrty to a grinding and painful halt.
"
Nobody ever said there would be one console. It's more about establishing a base hardware standard, much like PCs. To say it's anti-competition is to contradict the entire nature of the idea.
shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shotaro
Jayge said:
"Shotaro said:
"but Jayge to say that shows no actual knowledge or understanding of economics - if there is no competition there is no need to improve look at microsoft each OS they release is shittier than the last but because they own the market at some point everyone will end up adopting whatever they release - even Vista try buying a PC or Laptop now that doesn't have it bundled.

"
Nobody ever said there would be one console. It's more about establishing a base hardware standard, much like PCs. To say it's anti-competition is to contradict the entire nature of the idea."
to me that is not one console - that is a totally different thing entirely - I agree that a hardware standard would  be a good idea though I do not see how it would encourage competition. The main thing consoles have now is exclusives having a base standard implies that you could play any game on any console - though I would like to read more on this before commenting further.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jayge_
Shotaro said:
"to me that is not one console - that is a totally different thing entirely - I agree that a hardware standard would  be a good idea though I do not see how it would encourage competition. The main thing consoles have now is exclusives having a base standard implies that you could play any game on any console - though I would like to read more on this before commenting further."
Competition would be encouraged through allowing developers to exploit the hardware to its full potential, similar to what exclusive developers do now, only without having to be a segmented market, so all titles are in direct competition moreso than they would be now. It also encourages competition through hardware, as once a base hardware standard would be established, all consoles would essentially play any game; it would take creativity and ingenuity (or just upgraded features and offerings) to keep consoles competitive with each other. Multiple hardware iterations wouldn't matter for anything other than cosmetics or personal preference.

That's how I've come to understand it, anyway.
shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By shotaro
Jayge said:
"to me that is not one console - that is a totally different thing entirely - I agree that a hardware standard would  be a good idea though I do not see how it would encourage competition. The main thing consoles have now is exclusives having a base standard implies that you could play any game on any console - though I would like to read more on this before commenting further." Competition would be encouraged through allowing developers to exploit the hardware to its full potential, similar to what exclusive developers do now, only without having to be a segmented market, so all titles are in direct competition moreso than they would be now. It also encourages competition through hardware, as once a base hardware standard would be established, all consoles would essentially play any game; it would take creativity and ingenuity (or just upgraded features and offerings) to keep consoles competitive with each other. Multiple hardware iterations wouldn't matter for anything other than cosmetics or personal preference.

That's how I've come to understand it, anyway."
I can sort of see that but I think that the current driving force of the market is the manufacturers. I think in the long-term what you are saying is a good idea but it is a long way away yet.
Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Clean

WE can't cause we like negativity, we hope others to fail to make us feel better.

Me? I tell people to take a chill pill

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Gunner

I remember hearing about EA trying to get the rights from microsoft, sony and nintendo to build a console that supported every game. But back then there were alot more exclusives than there are now.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17  Edited By OGCartman
Vaxadrin said:
Oreos suck!  Chips ahoy all the way!"
BLASPHEMY!!!
momentarylogic

Forum Posts