Why do we still "Press Start" at the beginning of games?

• 72 results
Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By Vonocourt

It's the same with home video, most still lead you to a menu where you have to press the "Play Movie." People actively chided Warner Brothers when they were releasing Blu-ray/HD-DVDs that went straight to the movie. 

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Pinworm45

So you don't miss anything when you went to take a piss because the game was booting up.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By zeforgotten
@Azteck: Came with my G15 when I orderd it. 
It was like a gift for Aprils Fools and then the company sent me a bag of "Any Keys" that fit on Enter, Shift, Ctrl, Space and A  keys with the keyboard in the box :D
FongGhoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By FongGhoul

All of this introspection regarding ITP's and start buttons is cool and all, but what about this: 

Why do we have BELLY buttons? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omphaloskepsis   

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#55  Edited By MooseyMcMan
@Axxol said:
" @Warfare said:
" Well it is the start button. "
"
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#56  Edited By JJWeatherman

What the hell else are you planning on using it for?  :P 

It's tradition. I like it.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By Coombs

Why does Super Meat Boy say "INSERT COIN" at startup? 

Nostalgia,  
That's why.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#58  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I like pressing start, it feels right.

Rooster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#59  Edited By Rooster

...but...

..How else will we get the game to start?

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#61  Edited By jacksukeru

Why do books have covers? 

I dunno but I've always felt like the start menu acts like an inside-the-game cover. I wasn't so fond of the way GTA4 and inFamous just dropped  you into the game, well mostly GTA. Maybe that had something to do with me not liking that game, come to think of it.

MrHammeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By MrHammeh
@Irishranger said:
What just turned 25 years old?.....  OH DEAR GOD!! "
You young whipper snappers.  =P

I think its like it has been said, game demos to run in stores and to let the system know that you are there and ready to begin.  There have been several times I have stuck a game in and had to run away for a few minutes after-wards so to be honest I am glad when they dont just start up.  
halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#63  Edited By halberdierv2

meh, who cares. maybe its to prevent you from accidentally pressing a button in the menu at the beginning if the start screen wasnt there.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By iam3green

it's keeping what developers have been putting in for ever. i do enjoy seeing that in when a game starts.

nobull6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65  Edited By nobull6
@Irishranger: It's to allow the game to recognize what controller you're going to use. 

I found this out when I tinkered with developing for the XNA framework on the 360. When you start the game it doesn't know what controller you want to use, so you have a command in there that essentially waits until you press a button and then says, "Okay! Controller 1." If it loaded up straight to a menu, you'd be moving the stick trying to select an option and nothing would happen (I don't think analog stick movement would allow it to figure out what controller you're on, it has to be a button press). So there you go. 
Irishranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Irishranger
@nobull6:
Yeah, cool.  That's what I was looking for.  I knew there had to be a technical programming reason for it, so I'm glad to hear it from someone who has had a little programming experience. 

Not to refute what you've said or to be argumentative, but I still wonder what the Rockstar guys did in GTA IV to skirt around that issue.  I can't remember exactly what the first button you pressed was once you got control of Niko, but maybe that was the one that caused the controller recognition. 

Oh, well, I'm getting too technical, but like I said a few pages back, the process of creative decision making in game creation just interests me. 

Thanks again to everyone who has shown interest in this thread and provided intelligent answers.  I'm surprised this discussion has lasted this long.
Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@Irishranger said:
"Not to refute what you've said or to be argumentative, but I still wonder what the Rockstar guys did in GTA IV to skirt around that issue.  I can't remember exactly what the first button you pressed was once you got control of Niko, but maybe that was the one that caused the controller recognition. 

Well, a lot of games just assume player 1 is the controller being used. I know that on my PS3, I often leave my fightstick plugged in and it gets recognized as the first player controller by default. Most games will assume I want to use that instead of my regular PS3 controller and I'll have to switch the setting in the XMB after starting the game. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Xbox games are similar.
ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By ShockD

You wouldn't like to launch your game, go get a coke, come back and see that the game has started without you, would you?

Irishranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Irishranger
@antikorper said:
"You wouldn't like to launch your game, go get a coke, come back and see that the game has started without you, would you? "

LOL.  Yeah, good point and several people have already provided an answer similar to this in this thread, but the easiest counter argument to this is that usually once you do press the start button, you're presented with the "New Game/Load Game/Options/Exit" menu, and that would serve the same function as you say.  So, going back to my original post, I'm just interested in finding out what the game developer's reasoning is for keeping the "Press Start" screen.   

Not saying I dislike it, I like the nostalgia and tradition of it just as much as the next guy. 

Not trying to piss anyone off by keeping the discussion going, because I know that's really easy to do on the internet. 

Just hoping to get some insight into the game development process.  Thought this would be my best chance because I've always gotten the feeling quite a few game industry insiders hang out on this site since the GB crew is well respected in the industry. 

Thanks for keeping the thoughts coming everyone.
snetErz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By snetErz

Here is an article I found that basically holds everything that was suggested in this thread: 

http://www.bitmob.com/articles/press-start-2    

TNK1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By TNK1
@tobygw said:
" I think it is mainly just maintaining tradition, but I also think it gives for a better look. When I see the start menu I get into the mood and I see a full size picture before I start to see menus. It also makes it seem like I'm in control of when I start to do things because I can load the game and leave it on that screen sort of idling as I do other stuff around the house, then I can come back and actually start up the game and get into the menus. Just sort of feels right. " 
I agree with this person.
rbanke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By rbanke

Somewhat related, Why must we 'press X to continue' (not sure of the 360 equal) every time we boot a game when it displays the 'This game uses autosave'? OK, fantastic, but why do you need to stop loading the game to make sure I acknowledge this? 

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Potter9156

I stopped pushing start years ago. 

I haven't finished many games.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#74  Edited By shiftymagician

I have always found the main splash menu of a game to be rather useless.  It isn't hard to produce of course, but at the same time it serves no purpose other than to please those who like traditional game design and for other rather meaningless reasons.

I can understand demos having a splash screen, so that a consumer will immediately identify the product at first glance when it is idle.  For final products though, I find them to be rather useless.  To examplify a more productive first screen, most modern valve games are a prime example of having a subtle menu on the screen, whilst still allowing for a memorable logo and some background imagery complimenting the menu.  A good example of a pointless start menu is the ones in Street Fighter 4 (Super included) and Resident Evil 5.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#75  Edited By LiquidPrince

Because the start button leads to the main menu which then houses all other options.