• 75 results
charliesheen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By charliesheen22

I respect the views of those who understand what metacritic is and what it is good for. the rest of you neckbeards apparently are afraid of numbers, looking for full length reviews on metacritic, which you refuse to believe they have (and encourage you to read on the metacritic website), and don't understand the full 100 point scale.

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#52  Edited By jkuc316

I hate Metacritic because they don't include Screened score into the aggregrate

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#53  Edited By FLStyle

@jkuc316 said:

I hate Metacritic because they don't include Screened score into the aggregrate

Has it been requested that they do so?

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#54  Edited By williamhenry

@charliesheen22 said:

@Dany: well what what do you expect them to do if everyone is using different wonky grading systems? they have to at least TRY to get them on the same page. and a 3/5 is most certainly a 60% in the real world, you just like the idea of the currently inflated review system that everyone enjoys using.

If you're looking at it from a purely mathematical stance, then yea, 3/5 equals 60%, but I've never thought 3/5 meant that. To me, the Giant Bomb scoring systems is the same as the grading system in school. So 5/5 equals an A, 4/5 is a B, 3/5 is a C, and so forth. I don't know of anywhere that equates a C as being 60%.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#55  Edited By Liquidus

I don't hate it personally, I just don't think it's a valid way to judge a game. The one thing I do hate about Metacritic or more so, the implications of Metacritic is that it leads to publishers wanting a certain score for their game so that will get wider acclaim and thus more likely to sale more copies. My problem with an aggregated score on Metacritic is that it takes into account around a dozen or so reviews and then finds the average(the mean in math terms) while instead the median(basically the middle number going from lowest to highest) is a much better way to look at number of scores that low.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Loose
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Because it's worthless, just like Rotten Tomatoes.

RLLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By RLLink

Never cared about reviews, as such I don't care about metacritic. People take numbers too seriously these days.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#60  Edited By tourgen
@Marokai said:
Metacritic isn't really the problem. It's the people that use it and abuse it. Unfortunately, people misdirect their rage.
yeah, pretty much the point I was going to make too.

It serves a purpose for me anyway - if I see something under 60 I don't bother ever looking at it again.  An easy way to weed out junk.  I've played a few 60-75 games though that I've really liked so I've learned not to discount games in that range.
YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By YoungFrey

I don't personally mind Metacritic. I always check to see who gave the scores at either end. I also check to see if there is a big disagreement with users. And they apply a custom hidden weight to every source. So I don't worry how they integrate different rating systems.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#62  Edited By donutfever
@charliesheen22 said:
I respect the views of those who understand what metacritic is and what it is good for. the rest of you neckbeards apparently are afraid of numbers, looking for full length reviews on metacritic, which you refuse to believe they have (and encourage you to read on the metacritic website), and don't understand the full 100 point scale.
Have you not watched the videos linked to in this thread? Plenty of problems with it have been pointed out that can't be boiled down to not understanding the point scale, or not noticing full-scale reviews.  
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#63  Edited By Bruce
@Dany:  

If you get an A in a college course, that's equivalent to a 4.0, which is a 100. So, for a game to get 5/5 stars, the numeric correspondence is likely to be 100 which is perfect. And considering that Gamespot's 10 score straight up has the word perfect labeled under it, yes, I think many people are of the opinion that A+, 5/5, 10, whatever it may be, represents perfect.
RagnarokRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By RagnarokRed
@MattyFTM: That's no reason to hate Metacritic. That more of a reason to hate fanboys and game companies with shitty policies. Metacritic isn't out to fuck the average game dev if they can't score a 90+. Its just an aggregate tool, and nothing more. I hate when blame is put on the product and not the actions of the idiotic people.
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Dany

@Bruce said:

@Dany:

If you get an A in a college course, that's equivalent to a 4.0, which is a 100. So, for a game to get 5/5 stars, the numeric correspondence is likely to be 100 which is perfect. And considering that Gamespot's 10 score straight up has the word perfect labeled under it, yes, I think many people are of the opinion that A+, 5/5, 10, whatever it may be, represents perfect.

When the point system of a review is being reduced from 100 points to 20 (gamespot), to 10, to 5(giantbomb, to 3(yes, no maybe) or even 2(yes no) the numerical significance of the real value percentage also goes down vastly in my oppinion

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By QuistisTrepe

Metacritic is like an addictive narcotic that coddles non-critical thinkers.
What? Reading the actual text of the reviews? Pffffffft, as if!

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By amomjc

Why is it that people think that everyone hates a certain service just because they see part of the internet showing their dislike? I love Metacritic and use it often, it is especially a good tool if you use it the way you described in your post.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#68  Edited By DrPockets000

I hate how Metacritic not only gives more weight to bigger publications (for example, IGN's review might be given more of a pull than GB). I also hate they they try to interpret score from reviews that don't give a nominal score.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@QuistisTrepe said:

Metacritic is like an addictive narcotic that coddles non-critical thinkers.What? Reading the actual text of the reviews? Pffffffft, as if!

That's flimsy elitist drivel and you know it.

Sometimes it comes down to a time-allocation factor. Sometimes you need to quickly assess the quality of a product before you make a decision, and are short on time. You are going to spend 5-10 minutes for each review out there? No, you are going to scroll down to the bottom, read the highlights, and see the score. Metacritic just lessens the workload.

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By QuistisTrepe
@allworkandlowpay said:

@QuistisTrepe said:

Metacritic is like an addictive narcotic that coddles non-critical thinkers.What? Reading the actual text of the reviews? Pffffffft, as if!

That's flimsy elitist drivel and you know it.

Sometimes it comes down to a time-allocation factor. Sometimes you need to quickly assess the quality of a product before you make a decision, and are short on time. You are going to spend 5-10 minutes for each review out there? No, you are going to scroll down to the bottom, read the highlights, and see the score. Metacritic just lessens the workload.

I don't see anything elitist about it. I've argued in the past that it would be best for review sites to ditch scores altogether, forcing people to actually read the review. Ars Technica has about as much of a streamlined review score system as you can get, "buy, skip, or rent." Ultimately, it's the consumer that screws themselves over by going with whatever score a website spits out, buys the game, turns out to be disappointed with it, and then wonders why that is.
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Dany
@DrPockets000

I hate how Metacritic not only gives more weight to bigger publications (for example, IGN's review might be given more of a pull than GB). I also hate they they try to interpret score from reviews that don't give a nominal score.

Now that is absurd. The opinion of a reviewer of any medium should not be weighted based on where they work
DirtyEagles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By DirtyEagles

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#73  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@charliesheen22 said:
it's a beautiful site, so is rotten tomatoes. just because you like a review aggregating site doesn't mean you can't still go back to your favorite review site. 
Rotten Tomatoes was recently bought by Flixter which is a part of Warner Bros so I see that entire site as a conflict of interest.
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Dany

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@charliesheen22 said:
it's a beautiful site, so is rotten tomatoes. just because you like a review aggregating site doesn't mean you can't still go back to your favorite review site.
Rotten Tomatoes was recently bought by Flixter which is a part of Warner Bros so I see that entire site as a conflict of interest.

Rotten Tomatos was owned beforehand by Fox Corp. I doubt their practice is going to change at all.

Supercancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Supercancer

I don't think there's anything interpretively 'wrong' with Metacritic, it's just that they don't have a good system of averaging scores. If they were to go about collecting data then separating the scores based on the metric they used, then it would be fine. Also a lot of the user reviews are written by people that are just mad about the system/game in general because internet=lol.