Why it's okay to have a nuanced opinion on the new hires.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KentonClay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By KentonClay

So, as everybody knows, Giant Bomb hired two new people to fill out the San Francisco team. There was some backlash from this, as people were expecting to see Giant Bomb take this opportunity to add some diversity to the lineup. Then there was the the inevitable backlash to the backlash, as people defended the decision on the grounds that Giant Bomb would never hire based on race/gender and that this is a meritocracy.

In short, it's okay to say Dan Ryckert is the perfect fit for the Bomb Squad, while ALSO sympathizing with the people frustrated to see yet another prominent position go to a straight white male. We can petition for diversity, get mad when it doesn't happen, but ultimately not hold any grudges about it and move on to the next fight.

The thing to remember is that sexism and racism are largely systemic issues. They don't just happen because people are actively discriminating based on gender or race; they happen because unconscious bias and tribalism are still a significant part of human psychology despite being outdated in modern social structures. There's plenty of evidence that traffic cops discriminate based on race, but does this mean that cops are ACTIVELY racist? Well, I suppose some are. But mostly, cops just pull over people who, to them, "look suspicious." And highly qualified women are often passed over, not "because" they're women, but because they don't "fit the brand."

It's this weird situation where it's nobody's fault but also kinda everybody's fault. Is it "fair" that Giant Bomb is taking the brunt of the blame right now because of the blowup last week on the state of diversity on the industry? Well, not really. But "fair" is relative. It's important to, ahem, "check our privilege." And not in that obnoxious way that people on tumblr use the phrase, either. Just remember, that whenever there's angry talk against "straight white males," it's only because of frustration on the current power structures in the industry. Giant Bomb can just turn away and ignore this backlash. The people frustrated with the backlash can ALSO turn away and be secure in the fact that it will blow over. People who face actual discrimination don't get that luxury. They can't "walk away" from the prejudice they face on a daily basis. Take this into consideration before you go on the attack when you could just as easily, you know, NOT say anything.

I'm really looking forward to what the new guys can add to the Giant Bomb experience (not to mention what Vinny and Alex can add) but at the same time I'm happy these discussions are taking place and I hope for a better, more diverse games industry in the long run.

Just, for the love of god, stop harassing people on twitter you dickheads.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah, we REALLY needed another thread on this.

Im being sarcastic

marcusofadown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good post.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By shivermetimbers

Don't we already have a thread or two about the new hires? Like this one: http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/giant-bomb-hires-dan-ryckert-and-jason-oestreicher-1488249/

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Why isn't anyone at all interested in just letting this shit go? Mods have locked and deleted several threads on this subject today alone. You'd think we'd get the hint by now but nope, someone has to keep poking the hornets nest.

kacho_on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have much to add but one thing that hasn't been mentioned, I don't think this thing can be wiped under the rug by Jeff/Matt/Mods regardless of anyones opinions for a whole lot longer.

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh my god who fucking cares

xite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stop making these threads people.

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

TL:DR stop being dickheads on twitter

Great advice in general dude

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Let's not allow the potential for Twitter drama to spill over into the forums, as my good fellow moderator pointed out in another locked thread. Be civil, be the bigger person, and keep the debates friendly. Thanks.