Why PSP Go Digital Comic May Finally Cause Me To Take The Plunge

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By ververdan0226

Comics. For me, it's one of the most impenetrable enigmas in all of entertainment. I've read Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen and a couple Hellboy trades. That's about the extent of my experience with them. You have runs of 500+ comics and if you jump in in the middle you're lost and it becomes cumbersome to keep up with the ever changing storylines and every-other-month reboots of characters that seem to be going on from what I see. They've always fascinated me, but they're is such an impenetrable wall preventing me from doing so.

Now, considering that these comic books runs featured in the Marvel Comic Book Digital Reader start from issue 1, a lot of my issues have been eliminated. Since everything is digital and you've cut out the middleman that is print, you've solved the issue of revisiting old comics and the convenience of buying them. Now this may sound a little "New Age"-ey of me, and you comic book purists are probably reading this going "Fuck this faggot, I like the smell and feel of a good comic book". And I totally understand that. But for me, who's always wanted to take the plunge because of the fascinating stories that come through this distinct meld of words and images by a whole milieu of fantastic artists, being able to buy a comic while I'm sitting in a Starbucks (not that I'm one of the douches who does that) adds to my feeling of being able to read them wherever and keep up. Prices'll be less (probably $0.50 to $1.00). If you're restless and don't want to  wait for the trades, the digital format allows comics to be consumed in a disposable fashion, like they are always meant to be. I'm not a collector, I'm not looking to be and I hope digital doesn't get rid of the printed book, but buying them like this, storing them on my hard drive as I go (no pun intended) is perfect.. I'm hoping that most of what is printed on a regular basis will also be put into the digital realm of PSP, because it holds so much promise in finally helping to get me where I want to be may. Maybe I'll finally create a ComicVine account after all...

Again, some purists may dislike this change, but for me it is absolutely perfect.

Fuck the PS3 Slim, this announcement is perfect for me and made my day yesterday. Sony is finally moving towards what they need to do in the digital realm, what with the addition of the Minis and this reader. I don't think I've been more excited for the future of a platform because of the possibilities that the future holds for PSP and iPhone.

P.S. Don't get into a digital v.s. physical debate in my thread, keep it honest and civil. I like what the digital future holds, but some things (like film and console, not handheld, games, I don't want to go entirely digital, though the option is nice) I'm not as excited to happen. However, when it comes to disposable mediums like music, comics, and small, simple, digestible gaming experiences, I'm all for it.

EDIT: I know this is only for Marvel (Image maybe as well?) but I hope it spreads to other publishers.  :)

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ververdan0226

Comics. For me, it's one of the most impenetrable enigmas in all of entertainment. I've read Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen and a couple Hellboy trades. That's about the extent of my experience with them. You have runs of 500+ comics and if you jump in in the middle you're lost and it becomes cumbersome to keep up with the ever changing storylines and every-other-month reboots of characters that seem to be going on from what I see. They've always fascinated me, but they're is such an impenetrable wall preventing me from doing so.

Now, considering that these comic books runs featured in the Marvel Comic Book Digital Reader start from issue 1, a lot of my issues have been eliminated. Since everything is digital and you've cut out the middleman that is print, you've solved the issue of revisiting old comics and the convenience of buying them. Now this may sound a little "New Age"-ey of me, and you comic book purists are probably reading this going "Fuck this faggot, I like the smell and feel of a good comic book". And I totally understand that. But for me, who's always wanted to take the plunge because of the fascinating stories that come through this distinct meld of words and images by a whole milieu of fantastic artists, being able to buy a comic while I'm sitting in a Starbucks (not that I'm one of the douches who does that) adds to my feeling of being able to read them wherever and keep up. Prices'll be less (probably $0.50 to $1.00). If you're restless and don't want to  wait for the trades, the digital format allows comics to be consumed in a disposable fashion, like they are always meant to be. I'm not a collector, I'm not looking to be and I hope digital doesn't get rid of the printed book, but buying them like this, storing them on my hard drive as I go (no pun intended) is perfect.. I'm hoping that most of what is printed on a regular basis will also be put into the digital realm of PSP, because it holds so much promise in finally helping to get me where I want to be may. Maybe I'll finally create a ComicVine account after all...

Again, some purists may dislike this change, but for me it is absolutely perfect.

Fuck the PS3 Slim, this announcement is perfect for me and made my day yesterday. Sony is finally moving towards what they need to do in the digital realm, what with the addition of the Minis and this reader. I don't think I've been more excited for the future of a platform because of the possibilities that the future holds for PSP and iPhone.

P.S. Don't get into a digital v.s. physical debate in my thread, keep it honest and civil. I like what the digital future holds, but some things (like film and console, not handheld, games, I don't want to go entirely digital, though the option is nice) I'm not as excited to happen. However, when it comes to disposable mediums like music, comics, and small, simple, digestible gaming experiences, I'm all for it.

EDIT: I know this is only for Marvel (Image maybe as well?) but I hope it spreads to other publishers.  :)

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ververdan0226

,,, shameless bumping of my own blog...