conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By conker

Hey everyone,

I'm about tp purchase a ps3 and was wondering if my LCD monitor will suport it? I know it has VGA input only, but I have a DVI-VGA converter and I will get the HDMI-DVI wire for PS3. But someone was telling me that the monitor needs to be HDCP compatible or something, and searching through google gives me nothing =/. Can anyone help? 
The monitor model is  Dell E197FP , its a 19" LCD monitor. 
Link for specs:

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/dell-e197fp-lcd-display/4507-3174_7-32545550.html?tag=mncol;rnav         
Thanks. 

Also, the monitor doesnt have an audio jack, so how I can get sound? Thanks again.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Marz

hdcp is required if you want to play blu-ray content.  Digital signal will need hdcp as well, your better off going component to vga if you can find a converter because it will bypass hdcp.  You'll get 720p resolution but i'm still not certain if you will get a stretched aspect ratio when it's displayed on your monitor.  I'm also not 100% sure if it will work at all so don't spend money by reading my advice.

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By conker

Thanks for that Marz, but can you please explain component to vga? I'm a total noob in this :P. Also, any ideas for sound?
Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Marz
@Conker said:
" Thanks for that Marz, but can you please explain component to vga? I'm a total noob in this :P. Also, any ideas for sound? "
component is the red green and blue cable.
conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By conker

@Marz 
Ok so I would buy the component, how would it plug into the monitor?
frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By frankxiv
@Conker said:
" @Marz Ok so I would buy the component, how would it plug into the monitor? "
with one of these
conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By conker

@onimonkii 
Thanks alot, 
Just one more thing, is there an advantage to using componenet to VGA over DVI-VGA & HDMI-DVI?
Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Marz

well from my knowledge, it seems the hdmi port on the ps3 seems to output hdcp signal so if your monitor doesn't support it, you may not get a signal at all with an hdmi to dvi converter.  while component doesn't seem to have this problem and is more likely to work with non hdcp monitors. 

there is this cable on amazon.  seems like the cheapest solution and anything priced higher you may as well save up for a new monitor.

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By conker

Thanks for all the replies Marz, I think ima just get a new monitor =/
conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By conker

One more thing Giant bomb, So i searched online, and I found a tv i think ima buy. BUT, it says that it REQUIRES an HDTV source. Can somoene explain please? If I had this tv and a ps3 only, would I be able to play? 
Thanks again all.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Hi, pc gamer here, you can get audio using a rca to stero 3.5mm headphone adapter. Which will use a white and red av cable turned into a headphone jack that goes into your pc speakers. I use that to play my console on my monitor for sharper pixels and to get sound because my 1680X1050 monitor doesn't have sound.

However that's a mistake if you want to use that monitor because it's squared, also there are better options than what your doing right now. 

You should know alot of monitors are now in 1080p with hdmi inputs which will give you sound, or at least to a headphone, which can go out to your pc speakers. These monitors are around $250. You want something like this because it's more rectangular.

Also if your looking for a hdtv, also a pc monitor, then maybe I can suggest this which is affordable. Sure the contrast isn't great for pc games, however as a monitor pc combo, it's good for text, videogames and blue ray movies. It also has speakers and 1:1 pixel matching, which means if you want to go from X1200 rez, it will have black bars on top and bottom to make it into a 1080p monitor for ps3 games for example. You can change how wide it is and stuff with a remote. It also has a tv tuner, yet at that high of a rez, it's going to be blurry. You have many options. That hdtv/monitor is about $300-$340 online.

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/samsung-syncmaster-t240hd/4505-3174_7-33192334.html?tag=content;col1     

For other 1080p lcd monitors, you have a ton of choices, depending on your budget and need, yet if it has a hdmi slot, it's probally good enough. Now there are even LED monitors which uses a different kind of lighting.