• 83 results
#1 Posted by BBAlpert (1468 posts) -

#2 Edited by BBAlpert (1468 posts) -

This is primarily about tastes in specific genres. This is not to say that any of the guys are bad reviewers, but that everyone likes different things, so I might not know enough to really enjoy a 4-5 star fighting or sports game reviewed by Jeff or Alex (who actually understand those games, unlike me).

I've come to the conclusion that if a game gets Vinny's seal of approval, it's worth a look for me. But then, I am a sucker for adventure and simulation games.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
I don't think I'm even on the scale.
#4 Posted by laserbolts (5321 posts) -

Brad.

#5 Posted by Sgtpierceface (624 posts) -

I had to go with Ryan, pretty much because he doesn't really have a specific taste in games. The games he likes that I don't, is racing games, but he doesn't seem to play them very often. Everybody else is a but too specific.

#6 Posted by Morningstar (2157 posts) -

Vincent of course.

#7 Posted by NicksCorner (416 posts) -

Dave. I really wish for more PC content on this site.

#8 Edited by KaneRobot (1602 posts) -

Jeff, mainly for the MK fandom. Not strictly game-related, but I also kinda sorta watch wrestling, and I also appreciate Ice Cube's "Spy plane in the air" voiceover in Black Ops.

#9 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

That's pretty hard to say, but I'll settle with Ryan since he seems to dabble in a bit of everything.

#10 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

None. I like too many games in many different genres that I can't completely relate to any one of them in both tastes and opinions.

#12 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

I play mostly on PC, so a bit of Brad, a bit of Vinny, a bit of Drew and Dave.

If I had to choose one, Brad.

#TeamBrad

#13 Posted by BBAlpert (1468 posts) -

@ShiftyMagician said:

None. I like too many games in many different genres that I can't completely relate to any one of them in both tastes and opinions.

It doesn't have to be a perfect match, necessarily. I mean I'll check out/pass on an adventure game based on Vinny's say any day of the week, but I'll never understand his fascination with Demon's (or Dark?) Souls.

#14 Posted by Spaceyoghurt (162 posts) -

Tough question. Probably Brad for the most part. Though I also like me some more obscure games too, so I guess have some things in common with Dave, Patrick and Vinny.

#15 Posted by Daiphyer (1337 posts) -

I just chose Vinny because it's Vinny. I am not much of an Adventure player, other than that, I share alot of his views.

#16 Posted by Nev (548 posts) -

Hmm. Probably Vinny, it seems like a lot of the time if the game isn't Flower, he's somewhat neutral to alright with most genres.

#17 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

Vinny gives everything a chance so I'll say him. Even going into a bad game he has a positive attitude at first.

#18 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

Vinny/Brad.

#19 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5004 posts) -

Either Vinny or Drew.

I chose Drew...

#20 Posted by Chemin (632 posts) -

Vinny. He dabbles in a bit of everything, but also plays RPGs and adventure games which the rest of the crew are a bif iffy about - apart from dungeon master Dave that is.

#21 Posted by JeanLuc (3583 posts) -

Its mostly ether Vinny or Brad with some Jeff.

Drew likes Halo though so he has my approval.

#22 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

@BBAlpert said:

@ShiftyMagician said:

It doesn't have to be a perfect match, necessarily. I mean I'll check out/pass on an adventure game based on Vinny's say any day of the week, but I'll never understand his fascination with Demon's (or Dark?) Souls.

That's fair. If I just estimate I'd say Vinny because he sorta seems the most open to trying out games he's fascinated yet unfamiliar with (Like Dark Souls) out of the bunch.

#23 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Jeff (I like action-adventure and first person shooter games the most)

#24 Posted by Anund (893 posts) -

Vinny or Dave :) I'm an RPG type of guy with something of a thing for turnbased strategy. Out of the bunch, Vinny seems the most likely to give games like those a chance. So I voted for him!

#25 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

I'm part Patrick's Let's Try New Things And Push Things Forward vibe, and Jeff's Stop Being A Pretentious Fanboy, Popular Games Can Be Fun Too thing.

So basically Vinny. He doesn't roll his eyes at games for being popular of straight forward and he still manages to explore little played games.

#26 Edited by adam1808 (1494 posts) -

Jeff. Shares my desire for games to get to the point and do it sharpish. I also agree with Brad plenty, but all the games I've bought on Jeff's recommendation have been well-worth it.

EDIT: Does Alex have tastes? All I seem to get from him is that he likes things that could be described as "delightful"

#27 Posted by Lysergica33 (523 posts) -

A combination of Vinny, Brad and Dave. Brad seems to have the most similar mindset to me whilst PLAYING games but Vinny and Dave have the whole mentality that they'll give anything a try once, and the inclination towards RPG's and experiences that may be more obfuscating in general.

I picked Vinny, FTR.

#28 Posted by Demoskinos (14822 posts) -

Vinny. I'm OCD about being a completionist I usually try and like a bit of everything. Yeah...vinny.

#29 Posted by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -

Has to be Dave due to the PC gaming focus and willingness to dabble in anything no matter how unfamiliar, obscure or complex (or ultimately pointless). If not for Dave and Vinny, I wouldn't consider my gaming tastes to be very similar to any of the rest of the crew, who all tend to dismiss certain games or genres based on wobbly, whimsical criticisms. 

#30 Posted by ApolloBob (570 posts) -

If Jeff is all excited about a game, I can almost be sure that game will appeal to me as well. Except fighting games, which I have zero interest in.

#31 Posted by AlexW00d (6274 posts) -

@NicksCorner said:

Dave. I really wish for more PC content on this site.

Yup

#32 Posted by Vexxan (4620 posts) -

Brad,

#33 Posted by LTSmash (624 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

I'm part Patrick's Let's Try New Things And Push Things Forward vibe, and Jeff's Stop Being A Pretentious Fanboy, Popular Games Can Be Fun Too thing. So basically Vinny. He doesn't roll his eyes at games for being popular of straight forward and he still manages to explore little played games.

This is one of the things I like about Giant Bomb overall. The Guys seem willing to give any game at least a chance.

#34 Posted by Leptok (942 posts) -

Dave, he's the only one I've seen touch the crazy Paradox map games.

#35 Posted by matti00 (668 posts) -

Previously I would've probably said Jeff, but considering all I play now is either indie games, or the strangest commercial titles I can find, I'm gonna go with my boy Patrick.

#36 Posted by GunstarRed (5172 posts) -

In the past when this has come up I have said Brad, but more and more I find myself agreeing with Patrick's opinion on games.

#37 Posted by ashleychittock (136 posts) -

I don't play a lot of PC, and I'm endlessly bitter that survival horror isn't good.

Patrick fo sho

#38 Edited by spacetrogg (59 posts) -

A cross between Dave and Vinny for me. Would also put Patrick in if not for the fact that I normally dislike horror games...

#39 Posted by falconpunch (178 posts) -

none

#40 Posted by BBAlpert (1468 posts) -

@adam1808 said:

Does Alex have tastes? All I seem to get from him is that he likes things that could be described as "delightful"

His tastes are the biggest unknown for me, primarily because I haven't seen as many video features and/or bombcasts featuring him as I have the other guys. Drew and Dave are kind of exceptions, because even if they haven't been in TOO many QLs either, possibly less than Alex, they usually only show up for very specific types of games.

My best guesses are that, like you said, he likes "delightful" things and maybe that he has more of a preference for/knowledge of sports games than the others, based on the fact that he's done the last several sports game reviews. That could just be a matter of review duties getting divvied up while Alex is 3,000 miles away, though.

#41 Posted by Fattony12000 (7404 posts) -

Vinny and Drew and Dave and Ryan.

#42 Posted by forkboy (1151 posts) -

I suppose I'm somewhere between a Vinny & Dave. I like my strategy games (a real sucker for the Paradox games with Europa Universalis III maybe my most played game, & I'm into single player Mount & Blade too) & RPGs & classic adventure games. But I also love a good GTA style game (having just bought Sleeping Dogs today) & I also like sports games, though I don't buy them annually. This year I got UFC3, Madden 13 & I'll also be getting FIFA 13. I'm sort of vaguely tempted by EA's hockey game too based off the QL & Alex's review. Vinny talking about something on the podcast though will regularly pique my interest more so than Jeff or Ryan though

#43 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

Brad, Vinny or Ryan.

#44 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Have any of the crew reviewed the individual minigames in Pokemon Stadium for the N64? If anyone has, then it's that person.

#45 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

None of them, really. I like all genres besides a very select few and all of them have several genres they aren't really into. I guess a mix between Brad and Vinny and a bit of Dave. If I had to pick just one then I guess Vinny simply because he seems to have the most varied tastes, even though he doesn't seem to like multiplayer shooters which I absolutely love when it's a good one. The only genres I actively dislike are flight-sims (I suck ass at them,) old-school brawlers, and most puzzle games (such as bejeweled.) I guess Total War-like games (turn based strategy I guess?) but that's only because I don't know how to play them. I do love Civ 5, though. Other than those, there are plenty of games I love in every genre.

#46 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1572 posts) -

It's eerie how similar Jeff's and my tastes are. I don't think he's liked a game that I haven't liked yet, and I don't think he's strongly disliked a game that I've liked yet either. It's creepy.

#47 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Probably Dave and Vinny and Brad.

#48 Edited by Carlos1408 (1506 posts) -

I said Vinny. It's also a bit of a mix between Dave and Vinny. I'm mostly into rpgs and action rpgs, I also love the Souls games which Vinny is apparently into as well. Also the Witcher 2, which I still have to finish.

#49 Posted by me3639 (1755 posts) -

Vinny, because like him i have to do everything, and i mean everything in a game.

#50 Posted by wafflez (528 posts) -

Jeff.  I hate everything.