Worst motion sickness experienced?

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By themangalist

Out of all the first person shooters, I think Half-Life 2, or any source engine game, definitely takes the cake (no dumb portal joke intended). HL2 was a constant struggle to finish and I had to play the game in 15 minute chunks. It was a horrible experience, and that's why i never played the episodes that came after.

Well, not only first person shooters had made me feel extremely uncomfortable before... sometimes third person games do too. I recall Spiderman 2 on the ps1 once gave me headaches. But more recently, Kane and Lynch 2 Dog Days. Holy shit I couldn't even finish the demo. It was that bad.

Have you ever had to stop playing a game because it does bad shit with your head?

Avatar image for shadowknight508
ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ShadowKnight508

No...it was Wipeout HD...that game made my head hurt and gave me a slight queasy feeling whenever I played it. Half-Life 2 never bothered me (or any of the 6 Valve games on the Source engine that I have played).

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Doctorchimp

3D display at some best buy

Fuck that shit...

Also I remember getting really drunk and walking into an arcade to have an F-Zero machine make me wanna puke.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Yanngc33

I had a problem with Batman Arkham Asylum where I was seeing spots on the screen but that was my eyes and not the game. Had trouble playing Burnout Paradise because of the speed and I just couldn't keep up

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By themangalist
@shadowknight508 said:
No...it was Wipeout HD...that game made my head hurt and gave me a slight queasy feeling whenever I played it. Half-Life 2 never bothered me (or any of the 6 Valve games on the Source engine that I have played).
Oh racing games. Yeh, those too. Godforsaken amounts of motion blur.
cid798

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cid798

Ecco the Dolphin - Sega Genesis.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NoCookiesForYou

Killzone 2
I don't know what is it about that game, but every time i try to play it, i end up being nauseous and having an headache.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By crusader8463

Never had that problem before. At least not that I can recall.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

The only time I ever experienced motion sickness was from a field trip to see an IMAX film about the why oceans are important that was narrated by Sting when I was in the 5th Grade.  It is kind of ironic since Sting condones littering our seas with messages in a bottle to send an S.O.S to the World.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Mystyr_E

It didn't give me motion sickness but I never liked the drunk effects in GTA 4

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only experienced motion sickness once in my life, and it was caused by the demo for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CL60

I've never had motion sickness before.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By LiquidPrince

Half Life 2 did make me a tad uneasy, but I've only ever experienced full on queasy with Tony Hawk 3.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Daveyo520

I don't think a game has ever made me motion sick. I however do know they make my dad sick form the days of trying to get him to play Goldeneye with us.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15  Edited By xpgamer7

Doom, 3D sonic games, some quake.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By wefwefasdf

I remember playing the original Portal when I was tired. That was a bad idea. :/

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By Claude

If I have a good buzz on, some games can make me have motion sickness. I've had motion sickness many times though. I was in the Navy. You either deal with it or throw up and go on with your life. Unless you decide to sleep beside the commode.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Vextroid

Marathon 2 on XBLA was the first time I got motion sickness from an FPS. 

Also playing DS/PSP for long periods of time on the bus/tram rides home.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#19  Edited By BeachThunder
@crusader8463 said:
Never had that problem before. At least not that I can recall.
JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By JoeyRavn

Dunno if you could consider it "motion sickness", but the HDR and the very fast movement in the Cube mod for Fallout 3 totally killed me. I managed to finish the mod, but my brain felt like was about to explode.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By willin

Don't know why but I have never suffered motion sickness by a video game. Eyes of steel?

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By lead_farmer

the first time I played one of the old Medal of Honor games.

Solemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Solemn
SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#24  Edited By SMTDante89

Marathon 2 on Xbox Live Arcade gave me some serious headaches after playing for more than ten minutes.  I heard they patched it and fixed something to make it better, but I never took anymore chances.

CannonGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CannonGoose

What does motion sickness feel like? I'm not sure I've ever experienced it.

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Famov
@CannonGoose said:

You get dizzy, perhaps followed by a headache, and then definitely followed by the urge to vomit. It is not a fun experience. I cannot speak for everyone, but if I get sufficiently nauseous it will stick with me for hours, and light, sweet beverages help alleviate the symptoms. I'm told that people who had inner ear problems when they were young (like myself) have a tendency to suffer from it more often.

I get wicked motion sickness from any number of things, from roller coasters to boats to that awful movie Cloverfield. But not yet a video game.
themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By themangalist
@Famov said:
@CannonGoose said:
You get dizzy, perhaps followed by a headache, and then definitely followed by the urge to vomit. It is not a fun experience. I cannot speak for everyone, but if I get sufficiently nauseous it will stick with me for hours, and light, sweet beverages help alleviate the symptoms. I'm told that people who had inner ear problems when they were young (like myself) have a tendency to suffer from it more often.I get wicked motion sickness from any number of things, from roller coasters to boats to that awful movie Cloverfield. But not yet a video game.
Ahaha yes Cloverfield. It took me half an hour to properly adjust to that movie and stop feeling that pukiness. Shame though, roller coasters are so fun ;)
Progman9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By Progman9000

San Francisco Rush is the only game that ever gave me any level of motion sickness.  I don't recall whether I was feeling kind of sick in general at the time, all I remember is just feeling horrible after about 15 minutes of that game.  Never played any of those Rush games ever again for fear of the same reaction.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By phish09

The only game that I've really ever gotten any feeling of motion sickness from is Gears of War, particularly the recent Gears of War 3 multiplayer beta.  It's not bad so long as I'm just walking/rolling or shooting, but I start running and that camera starts bouncing everywhere I start to feel a little queasy.  I've never had that happen to me before outside of that experience.  I really hope they tone down the shakiness of the camera when the game comes out, or I might have to take a pass on that one.

BTW...we're talking sober here, right?  Because if I start up almost any FPS or any game with a ton of motion after I've been drinking all night, all bets are off.  I couldn't get past the first challenge room in the original Portal a couple weekends ago because I was spinning and then I started moving the camera around, and I just put down the controller and passed out.  When I woke up I was stuck against a wall in the game.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

#31  Edited By Grumbel
@themangalist said:

Out of all the first person shooters, I think Half-Life 2, or any source engine game, definitely takes the cake (no dumb portal joke intended). HL2 was a constant struggle to finish and I had to play the game in 15 minute chunks.

Similar experience here. While I did manage to play Half Life 2 on the Xbox1 on a TV without problems, playing the Ravenholme Demo of Half Life 2 on PC just made we sick, something with viewing distance, FOV or whatever.

Drakan: The Ancient Gate on PS2 was also rather horrible, the third person camera jerks around a lot in that game, as it won't keep your character centered when turning the camera, thus your character essentially jumps from one side of the screen to the next. Good game, but that took a few breaks to get through.

And more recently: Dead Space, not motion sickness, but the contrast of that game from total darkness to bright flashing lights right in your face gave me a headache.

Those aside I don't generally have an issue with motion sickness.
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Half-Life 2 is really the only game I've played that would consistantly give me a headache every time I played it. Never had a problem with anything else.