• 115 results
#101 Posted by AssInAss (2551 posts) -

My response to the "No, Let's Talk About Video Game Violence" is:

I hope it influences future violent games and shooters going for hero fantasies. A little self-awareness wouldn't hurt.

#102 Posted by JSwan13 (274 posts) -

Worth reading really lacks Mega64 videos

#103 Posted by Christian1972 (4 posts) -

cant wait for GOTY.

#104 Posted by RenegadeMike (45 posts) -

Free games are always FTW. Great post.

#105 Posted by JCSwallow (1 posts) -

Word Quest!! Fantastic game.

#106 Posted by DizzyMedal (399 posts) -

@Napalm said:

What, did you guys still not get it when Jason says, "use the force," and the Star Wars theme started playing? If that didn't seal it, I really don't even know what to tell you guys.

That was Ride of the Valkyries.

#107 Posted by SatelliteOfLove (1369 posts) -

"I name thee annihilator" is very stupid but very funny.

#108 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@DizzyMedal said:

@Napalm said:

What, did you guys still not get it when Jason says, "use the force," and the Star Wars theme started playing? If that didn't seal it, I really don't even know what to tell you guys.

Really?

#109 Posted by fuzzypumpkin (383 posts) -

@patrickklepek said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Wait, what's Soul Reaver doing here? The game was kinda average, from what I remember.

SHUT YOUR TERRIBLE MOUTH.

Cool it my long haired brethren for I, also, enjoyed that game.

#110 Posted by TheHBK (5466 posts) -

Soul Reaver was the shit! And it had a great atmosphere and voice acting and story. Convoluted at the end there but pretty awesome. Bring it back!

#111 Posted by DizzyMedal (399 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@DizzyMedal said:

@Napalm said:

Really?

Yes.

#112 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

You call that worth reading? It was way too long.

#113 Edited by HBK619 (160 posts) -
@Little_Socrates said:

But Far Cry 3....well, I'm in the minority in thinking damn near EVERYTHING falls apart once you meet Buck rather than just the story, but even when Far Cry 3 "fell apart," it was able to pull itself back together by giving me more towers and outposts to capture on the second island. It gets too easy too soon, and it's generally a huge disappointment after riding so high on those first eight hours. But I still ultimately like the game, and I think it's worth playing, especially without being spoiled about that press conference stuff I keep mentioning. It's just...well, I don't understand how it can be near ANYBODY's Game of the Year, seeing as how the mission design got so much weaker once Buck got introduced.

I'm just going to cut in here and mention specifically why Far Cry 3 was my GOTY.

Simply put, pound for pound it was the best gameplay experience I have had all year. I put 30 hours into the game and had it not been for literally completing every task in the game, I could've just kept going and going and going.

If there was an endless supply of radio towers to climb, outposts to liberate, relics to find, path of the hunters, assassination missions I would literally never put the game down because of the sheer variety in being able to attack any of these situations (I guess bar the radio towers as they're a linear design, but I just genuinely enjoyed how they were set out).

Personally, I think you're looking at the game from a very linear nature. The lax mission design in the latter parts of the game didn't really phase me all that much because of everything else that there was to do. Did it take away from my enjoyment of that? Why would it?!

I could pick out the flaws to Far Cry 3. The woeful under-use of Vaas (and yes, the fact that half of his appearances were already shown pre-release), the boss fights being glorified QTE's, the story having a muddled focus and conclusion, the side missions being fetch quests, Jason and his douchebag friends, the mission design falling away later in the game. But everything else that was in the game was just so damn fun that I could quite easily overlook that, because really that stuff didn't affect the overall enjoyment I had with the game. They were all but superfluous.

For me, how I see Far Cry 3 is that if I could keep playing the game and doing all those other things forever and ever I truly doubt the game would get boring. But doing the same thing in other games eventually drags. Far Cry 3, is the most fun I had with a game this year and that's why it's my GOTY. An average story and some average main missions weren't anywhere near enough to drag it down my list.
#114 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2214 posts) -

Oh man the quote with the writer trying to justify the story of Far Cry 3 is hilarious, it sounds like the ramblings of a mad man.

#115 Posted by NickMBMBAMCCoffman (4 posts) -

Double Fine's Amnesia fortnights are just so magic, I want all of the games.

#116 Posted by BigD145 (180 posts) -

Half-Life Natepack is funnier.

#117 Posted by Sergio (2055 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

I don't get why people like Super Hexagon so much. Anyway, Merrry Christmas Patrick!

I don't really understand either. While I do feel the game is overrated, GOTY lists from any gaming site are just opinions, whether they're good or bad opinions depends on each person whether they agree or not.