Would gaming me different had 9/11 never occured?

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Barrock

Had 9/11 and the wars that followed never occurred, how do you think games would be different? 

Would Modern Warfare exist? Would it be as popular? Would GTA be more violent? I know several games made a lot of changes following the attacks and toned down the violence.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DystopiaX

uhh...no. In MW terms, there are still other global conflicts, including in the Middle east. terrorism doesn't go away because one terrorist act did, and hell, they're still fighting russians. 
in violence terms, I don't think it got less violent because of 9/11.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By KaosAngel

We'd be in Iraq regardless of 9/11, Bush and Dick would find another cover-up to go into there.

So I don't think it'd be any different.

But a lot of Americans wouldn't be dead.  :(

Stupid terrorist.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Barrock
@DystopiaX said:
" uhh...no. In MW terms, there are still other global conflicts, including in the Middle east. terrorism doesn't go away because one terrorist act did, and hell, they're still fighting russians. in violence terms, I don't think it got less violent because of 9/11. "
There's actually a list of changes made to GTA 3 following September 11th. Originally the game contained children, school buses, elderly people with walkers, and an entire character that wanted to bring down the economy.
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By LordXavierBritish

Remember when that guy made the Space Invaders destroying the Twin Towers? The shit was great. People getting all pumped up on their faux moral high ground. That's the only connection I can make between 9/11 and gaming.

Speculating this is kind of stupid though, if 9/11 didn't happen something else would have. And it probably would have happened on 9/11. Because, you know, 911. Those wacky terrorists.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By meteora
@KaosAngel said:
" We'd be in Iraq regardless of 9/11, Bush and Dick would find another cover-up to go into there.  So I don't think it'd be any different.  But a lot of Americans wouldn't be dead.  :(  Stupid terrorist. "
For getting into Afghanistan, yeah. But Iraq? That's a completely different story.
RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By RichardLOlson

Honestly, No it would not change.  The gaming industry is one of a higher level of entertainment and deems itself the king of rolling inventive games.  I arch my eyebrow at them for this and here is why.  I'm tired of seeing the same old games, being twisted to look like something new.  In the end its the same shit that was produced 3-4 years ago and for them to come up with a flat out original idea seems sorta like a stretch for them. 

I'm not saying that the gaming industry is going no where.  I'm saying that some developers/creators need to step up there game and make something that will just make us games say "Wow.....what the fuck is that, I want it".  For example of something that is, but by the same token isn't like this.  Red Dead Redemption, yes it is inovative in its own right, but its just GTA 4 with a western theme.  Sure there are really cool things to do in the game, and some of which should have been in GTA 4.  Like going to the bar and playing poker or camping out in a ally way and fighting off hobos who try to mug you for your money.  I mean in a "semi-real world city", I would like to think that at 2 a.m. game time, me wondering the streets or back ally way, isn't so much a good idea, other then just being bored or from being stuck in the main story. 

I guess what I"m saying is, lets see something that will ring our heads and just make us truly appreciate the gaming industry, not throwing our money away on rehashed bullshit.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187

o.O  What?

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DystopiaX
@Barrock said:
" @DystopiaX said:
" uhh...no. In MW terms, there are still other global conflicts, including in the Middle east. terrorism doesn't go away because one terrorist act did, and hell, they're still fighting russians. in violence terms, I don't think it got less violent because of 9/11. "
There's actually a list of changes made to GTA 3 following September 11th. Originally the game contained children, school buses, elderly people with walkers, and an entire character that wanted to bring down the economy. "
I could see some of those being 9/11 related, but I honestly think that the children would have been taken out anyway, or relreleased without them in it.
Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Barrock

How did that be get turned into a me? >_> Can't edit titles, can we?

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Seedofpower
@jakob187 said:
" o.O  What? "
Yeah..... that's like asking "would I have won the lottery if I didn't step on that crack in the side walk?"
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Well the social commentary and the reflection of Grand Theft Auto IV's events would be different.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Barrock
@Seedofpower said:
" @jakob187 said:
" o.O  What? "
Yeah..... that's like asking "would I have won the lottery if I didn't step on that crack in the side walk?" "
I don't see how. There were several changes made to games following the attacks and some of the best selling games of our time are all about the war in the middle east.
HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By HypoXenophobia

MGS2 would have kept it's original ending. So yes.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By shirogane

Don't watch Doctor Who? 
9/11 is a fixed event that must happen! 

In all seriousness, i don't think we'd have quite as many modern warfare type games. Also, they'd be quite different then they are now.
Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Seedofpower
@Barrock said:
" @Seedofpower said:
" @jakob187 said:
" o.O  What? "
Yeah..... that's like asking "would I have won the lottery if I didn't step on that crack in the side walk?" "
I don't see how. There were several changes made to games following the attacks and some of the best selling games of our time are all about the war in the middle east. "
It's always war in the middle east. They are the new "bad guy," we have been fighting in the middle east since 1990.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#17  Edited By BeachThunder

Obviously to some extent, but not significantly so. 

Would gaming be different had Princess Diana not died?

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iam3green

yeah, i can see a little less violence in games if it never happened. i think we would still have modern warfare games.

ShadowofIntent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ShadowofIntent

The final mission in gta3 was originialy crashing a plane into a building so yea...

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Barrock
@iam3green said:
" yeah, i can see a little less violence in games if it never happened. i think we would still have modern warfare games. "
You don't think it would be the opposite? More violent?
dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dystonym

If you change the past it can DRASTICALLY ALTER THE FUTURE. 

Damn it, don't you all watch Doctor Who and the Butterfly Effect?

JasonDaPsycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By JasonDaPsycho

No Modern Warfare?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I think this is an intriguing question.  

9/11 certainly had a short-term impact on the movie industry - several projects were scrapped or delayed and in some cases they even went and digitally removed the twin towers (which I found silly). But is the movie landscape today really different? I don't think so. Extremely patriotic movies existed before 9/11 (e.g. Airforce One), as well as films depicting righteous self-justice (e. g. Dirty Harry). However, I have the feeling that it's still generally avoided to show airplane hijackings or plains crashing into buildings (unless a 9/11 recall is intended).

I think the same holds true for video games: Some specifics might have changed, but nothing in general.

gibbs_acolyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By gibbs_acolyte

Replace ir-what-q with afgan-isomething-astan

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#25  Edited By the8bitNacho

I think we either might have seen a more rapid shift toward controversial imagery in gaming had 9/11 never happened, as developers may have not been so afraid to approach such topics without something something that "close-to-home."  Or, the complete opposite could have happened, and developers may have just never felt compelled to be "controversial" without something as testing as the World Trade Center incident to challenge their public perception.

Avatar image for deactivated-643fcf03a370c
deactivated-643fcf03a370c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well if 9/11 not happening meant that America wouldn't be in the Middle East now, maybe Six Days in Fallujah wouldn't have had so much trouble getting released. But the game is also based on that, so maybe they wouldn't even have made it.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Castro

Well, Propeller Arena would have been released had 9/11 not occurred. It is highly likely that this groundbreaking title would have propelled the Dreamcast WAY past the Playstation 2 resulting in the demise of Sony's gaming division. Of course, Peter Moore would have stayed with Sega. Without his guidance, the Xbox 360 would have failed hard and it would have once again been a two console race between Nintendo and Sega. Damn you September 11th!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By penguindust

No, there'd be no difference in games other than references to the event itself.   Rainbow 6 games fought terrorists before 2001, Ghost Recon was developed before September 11th, CounterStrike existed before the world knew the name Bin Laden.   As was pointed out in another thread, "War never changes".  As long as there are games in which people shoot each other, there will be a "them" for every "us".  In other words, be it the Russians, Arab extremists, North Koreans, Chinese, Cubans, or some James Bond-like super villain group, there will be a need for antagonists.  And, just as American marines were dying in the Middle East before the autumn of 2001, there existed reasons enough to set games in the region before al-Qaeda became public enemy number one. 

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By FLStyle
Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By Manatassi
@Shirogane said:
" Don't watch Doctor Who? 9/11 is a fixed event that must happen!  In all seriousness, i don't think we'd have quite as many modern warfare type games. Also, they'd be quite different then they are now. "
Don't watch Doctor Who?  

"Time can be Unwritten."  - The Doctor.  
Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By Astras

LOL, I don't really let 911 effect my gaming. And I don't think it has had any significant impact on gaming at all. Modern warefare isn't 'the be all and end all' of gaming by the way. Before that there was Call of duty, battlefield, counterstrike, medal of Honour, Black hawk down etc etc... which were all great shooters and not generally 911 influenced.

1 GTA mission cut out..  makes me feel so empty inside :P