WoW PreBc private server videos illegal?

Sylinic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sylinic

Hey guys, I has a question.

Before I start to explain, my appologies if this is a stupid question. 

So, I make youtube videos, also trying to get onto Machinima Realm(A channel devoted to RPG/MMORPG videos)

Although, they want origionality on it, something noone else does. This is where the server comes in, I play on Forsakengaming, I have retail wow, it's oh so pathetic, but it's illegal to make money on Private servers, as in owners charging to play there. 

Although, would it be illegal for Machinima Realm to make money off of my vieos I submit?

What i'll be doing is PvP commentaries, I think it might be a someone good idea, given people will nostalgia their ass off and if FPS games can blow up with it, I think PreBC WoW has a good chance.

But doesnt when I add my voice it makes it origional(=Mine)?

So Blizz can't take legal action? I don't expect all of you awesome people to be qualified laywers, but hopefully you can provide me some insight?

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By oatz

>taking pvp on private servers seriously
>mfw

I doubt Machinima would accept it.

Sylinic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sylinic

Lmao.

They accepted Gun1t123 and Markkoh94 , I think it'd have a chance.

Aswell, i'm getting sick of this "LOL taking *anything WoW related* seriously on private servers hurr durr"

Dude stop, i'm sure people would rather see me raping kids in AV when it took skill, rather than critting for 25k every three seconds with lame and oh so to simple PvP to obtain that everyone has.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Sylinic said:
" Lmao.  They accepted Gun1t123 and Markkoh94 , I think it'd have a chance.  Aswell, i'm getting sick of this "LOL taking *anything WoW related* seriously on private servers hurr durr"  Dude stop, i'm sure people would rather see me raping kids in AV when it took skill, rather than critting for 25k every three seconds with lame and oh so to simple PvP to obtain that everyone has. "
WoW videos like that are a dime a dozen. But good luck. Might wanna go ask on the Blizzard forums.
Avatar image for griefersstolemykeyboard
griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@Sylinic:  PreBc had nothing to do with skill, WoTLK wasnt great, but it required more than just gear.
Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Karkarov

I don't see why Blizzard would care enough to single out you.  That said I doubt Machinima or however you spell it would be interested either.  Almost all the video's associated with them are comedy based or purely made from scratch using apps that control character models etc.  It is unusual for any kind of actual gameplay in their video's.  That said good luck if that's what you are going for.  

To answer if it would be illegal from them to profit from your videos...  More than likely yes.  If it is illegal for you to make money from it them being involved doesn't suddenly magically change the law.  It is still also not your content or theirs, the graphics, character models, etc etc all belong to Blizzard.

Sylinic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sylinic
@Karkarov:  Well, Machinima accepts...well....Machinima lol

However, there are branches(My appologies, didn't specify)

MachinimaSports- Sports gameplay / Commentary ect.

Machinima Respawn - FPS gameplay / commentary ect.

Machinima Trailers - Trailers lol

And Machinima Realm - RPG / MMO RPG gameplay / commentary ect  <---- One i'm going for.

But, It's illegal for P.S. owners to CHARGE their players on the basis of character models, ect, but commentaries that I make, that might not be...idk.
Sylinic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sylinic
@griefersstolemykeyboard:  LOL.
Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

Why don't you just ask the YouTube channel you're trying to get on, if anyone knows it will be them. 

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By valrog
@Sylinic:  Even if they don't charge for playing on them, they're still illegal as they are violating the agreement license and/or terms of use. So you adding voice to already illegal footage does not make it legal or your property or whatever.
Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Sylinic said:
" Lmao.  They accepted Gun1t123 and Markkoh94 , I think it'd have a chance.  Aswell, i'm getting sick of this "LOL taking *anything WoW related* seriously on private servers hurr durr"  Dude stop, i'm sure people would rather see me raping kids in AV when it took skill, rather than critting for 25k every three seconds with lame and oh so to simple PvP to obtain that everyone has. "
WoW videos like that are a dime a dozen. But good luck. Might wanna go ask on the Blizzard forums. "
Blizzard has a clear stance on private servers. Anything to do with private servers at all will just be turned down.
Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Bennyishere
@Karkarov said:
" I don't see why Blizzard would care enough to single out you.  That said I doubt Machinima or however you spell it would be interested either.  Almost all the video's associated with them are comedy based or purely made from scratch using apps that control character models etc.  It is unusual for any kind of actual gameplay in their video's.  That said good luck if that's what you are going for.    To answer if it would be illegal from them to profit from your videos...  More than likely yes.  If it is illegal for you to make money from it them being involved doesn't suddenly magically change the law.  It is still also not your content or theirs, the graphics, character models, etc etc all belong to Blizzard. "
That may have been the old Machinima, but nowadays Machinima posts just about everything. Most of the time it's just a dude that captured his own gameplay and added his voice over it. They have a ridiculous amount of Call of Duty commentaries. A lot of people don't like Machinima because their sub boxes on YouTube get flooded every day and the quality is very uneven.
As for staying on topic, I don't see how this is illegal. And if it is, surely Machinima would have run into this problem before, I'm sure Activision and other game companies don't want people to charge for their game outside of retail either, yet most of their games end up on Machinima. Perhaps it is considered Fair Use, or maybe it's not illegal if they are making money off the ads on their site and not the videos themselves. Either way I think the worst that can happen is just that they remove your videos and maybe you get a Copyright infringement notice, which doesn't do anything worse than jeopardize your YouTube account if you repeat the offense.
oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oatz
@Sylinic:  
@griefersstolemykeyboard said:
" @Sylinic:  PreBc had nothing to do with skill, WoTLK wasnt great, but it required more than just gear. "
I agree with this. As someone who did both high end PVE and ended up Rank 12 in vanilla, PvP did not require much skill in comparison to the very complex fights and the enormous amount of teamwork that you will see in the top WoW gaming tournaments nowadays. I'm sure your mind has just sugarcoated it with nostalgia (mine sure as hell has, vanilla World of Warcraft was the most fun in gaming I've had in my life), but lettuce be cereal here, that was a time where rogues could kill mages in one ambush and a single well-geared warrior with a healer could completely dominate an entire Arathi Basin match.
mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mwng

Vanilla PvP always reminds me of...

Sylinic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sylinic
@Bennyishere: Very true ^_^  It's just idk where I can go to get an acurate answer
jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By jmrwacko
@Karkarov said:
" Almost all the video's associated with them are comedy based or purely made from scratch using apps that control character models etc.  "
You haven't been on the Machinima channel lately. They have large amounts of directors who are commentators, specifically for games like Call of Duty Black Ops and Halo Reach.
sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sjupp
@mwng said:

" Vanilla PvP always reminds me of...

"
I was just beginning to think of this^ when @Sylinic said:
"(...) i'm sure people would rather see me raping kids in AV when it took skill, (...)"
Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Karkarov
@jmrwacko:  @Bennyishere:@Sylinic: 

Well thanks for the clarification guys.  That said it seems like being a part of "machinima" is not all that and a bag in chips as a result if you get paired up with random crap no one is interested in.  God knows I make competitive pvp vids and post them on my youtube channel but I don't delude myself into thinking a large portion of the youtube chugging net gives a crap about it.  Instead I just focus my advertising on the websites and forums that will give a crap and let the people that are interested check it out and those that aren't be blissfully unaware.

Like I said though if you want to be a part of their "thing" go for it.  Worst that can happen is they say no.  Again I seriously doubt Blizzard would care enough regardless to come hunt you down over it much less apply some legal nonsense.  Youtube might though, but most of their stuff is automatic so if you have posted video's already and nothing has happened then I think you have nothing to worry about.  Also yeah, pretty sure Machinima makes money off the advertisements not the video's themselves so also don't see a legal issue.
hooberschmit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By hooberschmit

Pre BC WoW was the era of fire mages 2 shotting full geared out plate classes, also it is not relevant to even a very small or niche audience of theirs. I wouldn't do it. PvP balance at that time was wonky and was not what it is even now.
Sylinic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sylinic
@Karkarov: 

Thank you, good sir.