Xbox Live Accounts and Their Value

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Vinchenzo

I've been wondering lately what an Xbox Live account would sell for. In relation to something like a WoW account where does gamerscore rate? How valued is gamerscore these days that somebody is willing to spend a decent amount of cash in exchange for an account with a lot of work put into it. 

No, I am not selling my account. I'm just wondering what value gamerscore holds when compared to other items that people sell. So I'd like the guessing to go by a block sum such as 20,000G, 40,000G, 100,000G, etc. Something simple and easily comparable. 

It's hard to tell, but I'd say maybe 100,000 gamerscore might sell for $300? There are always people out there with money to burn. Or it could be as low as $100, making it a measly $1/1,000 gamerscore.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

It's fun getting achievements on your own and starting at zero.  It just ruins the experience if you start from a high number like 100,000.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Symphony

Considering there are hacks out there to boost peoples scores for those who are strangely obsessed to the point they feel the need to cheat, I can't see it going for much considering buying an account would be another form of "cheating". But maybe I'm wrong.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus

I think most people view achievements as personal accomplishments. We like to show OUR friends what WE did. There's no hiding from your friends when you've bought an account with a high gamerscore, and they're clearly not going to be impressed with the high gamerscore you've purchased. It's the opposite of, say, buying a World of Warcraft account,where the goal is to show off to complete strangers.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Vinchenzo
@Symphony: I thought about that too. But let's assume the achievements are legit. Collectors, let us call them, always like something in prime condition. So assume all of the points are legit, it could mean value. Just like anybody can play one of those games that go for $1,000 in mint-condition, but some people like having that mint-condition game. 

@JJOR64: It's also fun leveling up in WoW, but I had once sold my account for $300 with a level 60 character. (Vanilla WoW.)
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vinchenzo
@TooWalrus: You make a good point. Although whose to say you couldn't wipe out the previous friends and start anew. You can always meet strangers, but it is for sure getting more difficult to show off to those strangers because of the streamlined way that games throw you into the action instantly.
Neon941

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By Neon941

Eh I'd possibly buy a WoW character, but I can't see the value in buying a gamerscore, if you didn't earn the points yourself it feels pretty hollow. There's like 50 points on my account that my brother earned, I feel bad enough about that.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vinchenzo
@Neon941: For sure. That's the reason I work for achievements as well. It obviously doesn't have the draw as one might have to buying a WoW character. If anything, the person selling the account with gamerscore would have to require some form of popularity, for instance the guy with the highest gamerscore could probably sell his, but not somebody with 40,000.
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Emilio

Unless the account comes with games or DLC, I don't think anybody will buy it. 

BUT, I do believe there are people out there who would PAY people to get achievements for them if they don't have the skills for them.

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By empfeix
@Emilio said:
" Unless the account comes with games or DLC, I don't think anybody will buy it.  BUT, I do believe there are people out there who would PAY people to get achievements for them if they don't have the skills for them. "
You are on to something here.  I think it might be a nice "add on" if you will if you accompany the account with a slew of XBLA games and DLC.  It's giving them that extra incentive: "But wait!  There's more!  100 000 gamerscore points to pimp to your friends!  E-peen guaranteed.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By keyhunter

I don't see someone selling thousands of hours of achievement whoring for 300 dollars. I make that in a day. That's a horrible waste of time.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

It takes forever to get 100,000 points, even with cheating it would be incredibly monotonous.

Robama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Robama

Takes the achievement out of achievements unless someone was using it for bragging rights I would say it's pretty pointless 

At least if your buying a WoW character you can play at a higher level in the game. Gamerscore doesn't really effect gameplay.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By Hamst3r

You have to make sure that you only get really dumb achievements, such as the ones you earn by pausing the game, going to the options or simply starting the game. A gamerscore of 50,000 or more with only the incredibly stupid achievements would be absolutely amazing and probably sell for a lot.
GI_Josh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GI_Josh
@Hamst3r said:
" You have to make sure that you only get really dumb achievements, such as the ones you earn by pausing the game, going to the options or simply starting the game. A gamerscore of 50,000 or more with only the incredibly stupid achievements would be absolutely amazing and probably sell for a lot. "
I'd say that you are still allowed to S-rank that Doritos game though.  All of those were stupid achievements.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like shit you're not thinking of selling your tag..

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Fosssil

Among the Halo community, there is a lot of account selling/trading that goes on. The value of the account has nothing to do with gamerscore though, and everything to do with highest skill ratings in the various Halo 3 playlists. Lots of players will buy level 50 accounts (the highest possible skill) if they cannot reach that level on their own. For some people, having that level 50 next to their name is worth paying for (usually in the $15-$30 range).

Specifically among the MLG Halo community, there are people who buy old accounts from pro players for $100 or more. The value in such a gamertag would be not only having a 50 in several playlists (or at least the MLG playlist), but also having dozens of legitimate pro player accounts on their Friend List.

Personally, I think it's pretty dumb to value some meaningless number inside of a video game enough to spend real money on it.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By crunchUK

If you get a 50 in halo 3you can pester people with XBL messages asking for 1600 MS points

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By nanikore
@crunchUK: What? You mean scam people?
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By crunchUK

No. I mean "sell 50 acc. for 3 month or 1600 MS points". One time i replied with a used code, only i put a question mark at the end. After quite some time he replied saying it didn't work LOL

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ShaunassNZ

No people sell XBL accounts with Halo 3 Lvl 50's and stuff but Gamerscore is fun to get.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By jakob187

Well, it would depend on a few things: 

• What games are the primary achievements from?  How rare are the achievements?
  • How many "fluff" games are there (i.e. Terminator Salvation, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Fight Night Round 3, King Kong)?
  • How much DLC and how many Arcade games are tied to the account that a person could download for themselves?
  • What is the completion rate of the games?
  • How long did all the achievements take to get?
  • How many are hacked achievements?

As you've said, none are hacked achievements and all are legit.  Otherwise, you would have to look at many factors in determining the overall "value" of that gamerscore.  It's just the same with coins.  You don't just find a 1909-S VDB wheat penny lying around anywhere, but when you do, you've got many factors to look at...especially the striking quality of it.  In the end, it could be worth a ton more than you could ever hope for! 

Personally, knowing what I know of your gamerscore as an example...with all the previous factors taken into effect...and I were to compare it to wheat pennies...I would probably put it in the range of a 1914-D.  It's a higher price than many out there, but it's not a 1909-S VDB.