Xbox One will not include chat headset with console

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Saw the article here at gamespot. Kind of shocking since including headsets was a big positive for the 360 and the PS3 didn't. Didn't anyone ever tell them kinect mics suck? Good lord with that many Kinects on during a multiplayer game I wonder how much background noise people will be getting.

MacGoesZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I think it's way weird they didn't include it, but I am one of the horrible people that either A. Don't use a mic in multiplayer or B. have a party with my friends, so this isn't a major issue to me.

BleedingStarX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank God for party chat, I'll be investing in a headset for sure. No way would I use the Kinect as a microphone

maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@macgoeszoom: I don't think it's horrible, when I'm pubbing I typically leave my headset on the floor. If I hear some chatter I'll put it on and if the people sound cool/normal I'll talk to them and if not I just turn the volume down on the headset and leave it on the floor.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By tourgen

That seems weird to me.

My first experiences with the 360 were playing Gears of War online with friends.

Talking at my TV might work I guess but will I have a mic mute switch or button on the controller? Doesn't look like it.

Also having the voice chat over a headset is nice instead of routing it through the system speakers with the game audio.

This just seems like a really odd decision.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Kinect 2.0 will have Noise Canceling.

No Caption Provided

And the included PS4 mic looks like it'll get cut in a day.

maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tourgen: It is weird, especially since Kinect mics are pretty much universally hated for MP games. I mean ya people can buy a headset afterwards but still.

Residentrevil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I only talk with close friends and I normally use a combination of Kinect and headset depending on whether the headset is out of reach (sometimes I'm too lazy to get up). The current Kinect works well during the times I've used it to chat. I turn down my surround sound audio and talk to my friends while we party chat. The current Kinect kind of reminds me of the Wii Speak, but slightly better.

Even when I only had a headset I always turned my surround sound low so I could hear my friends and so they couldn't hear my game. I don't really plan to talk much anyways I guess. However, I can't wait to distract zombies in Dead Rising 3 using the Kinect.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Dumb move, but hardly a dealbreaker. God knows there's been enough already.

Tackchevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I mean, I would rather them just not include a super shitty, borderline pointless headset. Anyone that is remotely serious about MP is going to buy their own gear over some stock deal that a manufacturer includes with hardware.

If they save three dollars by not including it, then they'll be that much closer to being able to afford a price break down the line. What can I say, I just don't want to pay or even deal with something that I'm not going to ever use.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

@blu3v3nom07: True, altough the PS3 and PS4 can use any USB or Bluetooth headset(Unconfirmed if you can use any normal 3.5mm headset yet), whereas you have to buy specific headsets for the XBO.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would have been a nice inclusion but whatevs, not really a big deal.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maskedarcstrike: You still get a shit ton of background noise with the ones the bundle with the consoles now. I can't tell you how many times I've had to deal with kids and their brothers/friends in the same room, or parents yelling. I don't think that's an issue strictly for kinect. In fact I think Kinect might be able to muffle sounds not coming from the main player?

grendelpr1me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm one of those idiots who spent nearly $200 on an after market headset, and I still barely use the mic in public matches, and really only ever have it one when on with friends. That said, this next wave of consoles looks more like a battle of what useless crap can we cram in this box, more than anything.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eujin: Yea but you still have to Buy the headset. You could probably find like a cheapo $20 Bluetooth, at the same price of that $15 XONE headset.

I never bought a Bluetooth headset for my PS3. But I still use the Turtle Beach I bought that works with 360 & PS3.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ravenlight

Great idea! If nobody has headsets, then LIVE won't be littered with yelly, asshole kids!

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No Caption Provided

Get cut? Why are you wearing a shirt made from scissors?

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Great idea! If nobody has headsets, then LIVE won't be littered with yelly, asshole kids!

No, they'll be even yellier since they'll probably think they have to be louder for the Kinect to pick them up.

And yeah, the headset isn't really a deal breaker. Hell, it's about the only thing about the Xbone that isn't a dealbreaker.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@yukoasho said:

@ravenlight said:

No, they'll be even yellier since they'll probably think they have to be louder for the Kinect to pick them up.

Well, there will actually be a clip for the Kinect 2.0 so you can clip it to your shirt so you won't have to yell at your kinect from across the room.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By yukoasho

@yukoasho said:

@ravenlight said:

Well, there will actually be a clip for the Kinect 2.0 so you can clip it to your shirt so you won't have to yell at your kinect from across the room.

You'd need a badass shirt for that to work. the Kinext 2.0 looks fucking HUGE.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Silver-Streak

@blu3v3nom07: So apparently it's been confirmed that the PS4 headset jack can be used by any 2.5 mm headset. http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-one-vs-ps4-headset-war-begins-577590186. Although it is Kotaku, so take this with a grain of salt.

With that in mind: USB Headset: $12 http://www.amazon.com/iMicro-IM320-USB-Headset/dp/B003RRY8ZG/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1372210739&sr=1-1&keywords=USB+headset

2.5 mm Headset: $6 http://www.amazon.com/Naztech-N65-EarPro-Headest-Cancellation/dp/B0052OD0QU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1372211231&sr=1-1&keywords=2.5+mm+headset+noise+cancelling

Bluetooth Headset: $17 http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BHM1200NBACSTA-Bluetooth-Headset-HM1200/dp/B005BHFH3W/ref=sr_1_2?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1372210881&sr=1-2

It is exceedingly unlikely that Microsoft will sell the new headset for less expensive than they currently sell the 360 headset, as the new one apparently costs more to make. With that in mind, the current 360 headset (Which is not compatable with the XBO) sells for $19: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Headset/dp/B003OAE79S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372210980&sr=8-1&keywords=Xbox+360+headset

Also, the included headset with the 360 is/was terrible, so if the XBO's Chat headset is the same, you'd probably need to get at least the Turtle Beach one that they've announced, which means it is likely way more expensive.

Edit: Replaced 3.5mm headset with 2.5mm

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sucks. Not surprised they probably wanna push using the Kinect. The old one was terrible for voice chat but maybe the noise cancelling is worth a damn on the new one. I'll probably just get a headset anyway.

Genfuyung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well they're only charging 500 bucks. You want them to go broke? /sarcasm

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

That sucks. Not surprised they probably wanna push using the Kinect. The old one was terrible for voice chat but maybe the noise cancelling is worth a damn on the new one. I'll probably just get a headset anyway.

I was gonna get a turtle beach.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

360 online before party chat will never be repeated. I assume the PS4 has party chat, too.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Hm. I wonder if the new Kinect mic will be of the beamforming variety. I think we're to the point now where that wouldn't be out of the question.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mrfluke

thats stupid, i really dont want to be shouting at the kinect mic to be talking to friends.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By OurSin_360
@yukoasho said:

@earlessshrimp said:

@yukoasho said:

@ravenlight said:

You'd need a badass shirt for that to work. the Kinext 2.0 looks fucking HUGE.

lmaoooo

Seems like the xbone just wants to give more reasons not to buy it.

LoZ825

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to yell at my TV to talk to someone, I'm guessing the mic would be strong enough so you don't have to hear people sound like they are a few rooms away over chat.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By cornbredx

The headset that I got came a hard drive I bought the 360 and it was shit. I only ever used it once, but it wasn't that great.

I don't really care about that though, I am very unlikely to get an XBox one. I just don't like a lot of things about the system in general (it's not really about the DRM policies).

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

@mrfluke said:

thats stupid, i really dont want to be shouting at the kinect mic to be talking to friends.

I thought you weren't getting an XONE?

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By audiosnow

Unless Kinect 2 can differentiate the player's voice from the voices of their girlfriend, their six year-old, and their dog, there's no way it'll filter the only truly disruptive background noise. I can understand you over the sound of your box fan, not over the sound of your terrier.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mrfluke

@mrfluke said:

still aren't,

but im assuming that thing will essentially be a boom mic, thats gonna let in more noise than a headset would,and you'ill most likely have to raise your voice more to have the mic pick you up, not to mention the voices of your friends will be coming out of that device now and be a lot more public vs through a headset.

Great for X1 people if im wrong though.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

still aren't,

but im assuming that thing will essentially be a boom mic, thats gonna let in more noise than a headset would,and you'ill most likely have to raise your voice more to have the mic pick you up, also the voices of your friends will be coming out of that device now and be a lot more public vs through a headset.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@blu3v3nom07 said:

@mrfluke said:

still aren't,

but im assuming that thing will essentially be a boom mic, thats gonna let in more noise than a headset would,and you'ill most likely have to raise your voice more to have the mic pick you up, also the voices of your friends will be coming out of that device now and be a lot more public vs through a headset.

I'm pretty sure it's noise cancelling. Like you know how it can detect who has what controller, and your body in 3D and all that? Basically I think what it does is pinpoint the user who is holding the controller the same was as it does to recognize what account is playing with that controller, and cancels noise from other sources. Of course it won't work perfectly, but that's something that comes with microphones. Any type of microphone these days has that.

I remember seeing it in one of the tech demos.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@blu3v3nom07 said:

@mrfluke said:

still aren't,

I'm pretty sure it's noise cancelling. Like you know how it can detect who has what controller, and your body in 3D and all that? Basically I think what it does is pinpoint the user who is holding the controller the same was as it does to recognize what account is playing with that controller, and cancels noise from other sources. Of course it won't work perfectly, but that's something that comes with microphones. Any type of microphone these days has that.

I remember seeing it in one of the tech demos.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

You probably only need to talk in a normal voice for Kinect 2 to pick you up fine. But, who the heck wants to talk to their TV in a normal voice. With a headset mic you can talk in a low voice to communicate and not bother anyone else. Headsets are cheap, their are dozens of different models with prices that fit any budget, so just buy one.

Most people should drop the PS4 headset into a draw and you folks with the Xbox One should go into the settings to disable the Kinect 2 microphone. Everyone buy a good headset for you own enjoyment, for the sanity of the people in your home, and especially for the people online who have to hear your stupid voice.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully those headsets they sold for the PS3 will work with the PS4. According to reports from some of the higher ups they see no reason why it shouldn't but still. As for the XBO, I'm not a fan of hearing chatter coming out of my sound setup. I'm also not a fan of people hearing incidental conversation from other people around me.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Well that's unexpected. As someone who didn't get a 360 however, and thus never really used a headset on my PS3, this doesn't seem like a big loss.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#41 MattyFTM  Moderator

The kinect is supposed to have noise canceling stuff that means only your voice gets through. If it works like it's supposed to, then it'll be fine. But that's a big if.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The PS4 headset will be pretty cheap, but my existing PS3 set will work with it anyway.

Like the flimsy Xbox 360 pack-in headset, I expect most people who play a lot will probably invest in a better one anyway, on both PS4 and Xbox One.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By laserbolts

@reisz said:

@blu3v3nom07 said:

No Caption Provided

Get cut? Why are you wearing a shirt made from scissors?

Maybe he usually looks pretty sharp.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The NSA complained that the audio wasn't synced with the camera recording from the old Kinect. With Kinect 2.0 they are hoping to fix this.

Avatar image for live2brighteous
Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravenlight: Actually, it's going to be the complete opposite. Now that everyone has a kinect mic attached, you will hear MUCH more then just the people talking. A family discussion will probably be a common thing to hear every day.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Lord_Xp

I'm hoping my Tritton 720's will work with the Ps4 if not, I'll have to buy some new ones.