#1 Posted by mikeeegeee (1550 posts) -

Not just like a couple of days, either. I ask because I've been trying to for about a year now. In July of '09, I was commissioned to paint a gigantic canvas for a friend. I decided it wasn't going to get done if I kept playing all of the new releases, so I vowed to stop gaming. I missed Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Red Dead Redemption, and every big holiday/early '10 release. It was excruciating. 

Later, Halo: Reach and Super Meat Boy came out, and I figured fuck it. So now, I'm up to my neck in games, and that canvas isn't done yet. Shit. 

The only other "break" I can recall was when I became so engrossed in World of Warcraft for two years that I didn't follow the greater gaming world whatsoever. Anyone else?

#2 Posted by Nunchuckles (195 posts) -

My PS3 YLOD'd like three weeks ago.  So I have been staring at video game tournaments and the sort.  I feel despicable.

#3 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

I dont think I've ever taken an extended break from them, but then I again I manage to equally distribute my time between games and everything else.

#4 Posted by Dimsey (948 posts) -

I cannot picture a scenario in which I would take more then perhaps a couple of days off from gaming. 

#5 Posted by mm665 (407 posts) -

Never.

#6 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I take a a break from video games when I'm at work or sleeping.

#7 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6185 posts) -

HADOKEN EVERYDAY.

#8 Posted by uniform (1832 posts) -

Yes. I stopped playing them for six years during high school.

#9 Posted by Fripplebubby (1027 posts) -
@uniform said:
" Yes. I stopped playing them for six years during high school. "
That is about two years too long, but whatevs. 
#10 Posted by uniform (1832 posts) -
@Fripplebubby said:
" That is about two years too long, but whatevs.  "
Indeed. It took night school in my mid-twenties before I finished.
#11 Posted by captain_clayman (3318 posts) -
@Fripplebubby said:
" @uniform said:
" Yes. I stopped playing them for six years during high school. "
That is about two years too long, but whatevs.  "
i was about to say the same thing.  maybe he got held back, but you cant blame video games for that!
#12 Posted by gakon (1945 posts) -

I've probably been doing that for a few years now.  I'm pretty on-again, off-again when it comes to games.  This year I've played maybe three games that actually came out in 2010; I have little interest in, or desire to spend money on, most current games.  At the moment I'm trying to think of the last game I played, and it was probably a few weeks ago; either a round of Major Havok in Game Room or a mission in Warcraft III, I'm not sure.

#13 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

I don't know if I've gone a month without playing a videogame for over 23 years...  I've gone week+ occasionally.

#14 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -

I play around on the internet or I got out with friends or have sex.

#15 Posted by Immuniity (241 posts) -

From about 14 - 16 i took a break.

I exclusively played WoW at release till the begining of BC. Upgraded my computer when i was 17, bought MW1 and Mass Effect and i was back with a vengeance.

#16 Posted by Raymayne (1226 posts) -

Yup, earlier this year, it wasn't bad.

#17 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Sure I do, I have to sleep sometimes. 

#18 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

I take short breaks from games from time to time.  Usually it is due to uni work that lies ahead, or maybe I want to continue one of my other hobbies that I put on hold for some reason.  I don't think I ever spent a long time away from games though.  I don't watch TV much besides the news and some documentaries, so games, forums like these, and just learning to program in some language are the main things I do to occupy myself.  That and go out and hang with friends and family of course.

#19 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

I had to cut down my gaming last year due to uni work but no, I've never really taken a proper break from gaming.

#20 Posted by Jamer91 (132 posts) -

I usually take a break when I have alot of school work

#21 Posted by excido (199 posts) -

I've never taken an official break, but I regularly go several days, maybe up to a couple weeks of not gaming when life is just busy. it sucks but you get used to it, especially now that I am married, work too much and have a daughter. but I do try to balance it out, I've been trying to game regularly at night after the wife and kid go to sleep but a lot of the time I'm just too tired and I usually just lay in bed and read. I find that unless I'm REALLY in to a game I will not game often most weeks.

#22 Posted by Mrskidders (1330 posts) -

Yeh, normally a few months a year.  I tend to go away to the Alps and consult on Ski company menus and help train their staff.  This means daily snowboarding, hard drinking and womanising.  No way in hell I would fancy a quick game of anything when I can go and ride fresh snow.

#23 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

I take a few months off sometimes, if there's no good games coming out and I'm busy with other stuff. Don't think I've gone more than 6 months, though. 

#24 Posted by mikeeegeee (1550 posts) -
@Mrskidders said:
" Yeh, normally a few months a year.  I tend to go away to the Alps and consult on Ski company menus and help train their staff.  This means daily snowboarding, hard drinking and womanising.  No way in hell I would fancy a quick game of anything when I can go and ride fresh snow. "
Sounds like the best reason I can fathom. You just made a dude living in the middle of Nebraska pretty damn jealous.
#25 Posted by Mrskidders (1330 posts) -
@mikeeegeee: Yeh, it is pretty sweet.  I literally don't watch movies, tv or play games.  Its just me, a snowboard, an iPod and the mountains.  Means when I finish I can take some time to wade through a few movies and games that have scored highly.
#26 Edited by X19 (2304 posts) -

Took two and a half months off and started playing again last week. I realised none of the games I want to play are out till 2011 so I will probably take another 2 months break. 

If I do get a few days free I will try and finish the episodes for halflife 2.

#27 Posted by Fripplebubby (1027 posts) -
@uniform said:
" @Fripplebubby said:
" That is about two years too long, but whatevs.  "
Indeed. It took night school in my mid-twenties before I finished. "
Cool, then, props for finishing up!