Poll Zelda V. Horizon (356 votes)

I prefer Breath of the Wild 29%
I prefer Horizon 17%
I only played Zelda and liked it 18%
I only played Zelda and didn't like it 2%
I only played Horizon and liked it 13%
I only played Horizon and didn't like it 1%
Results 20%

It seemed like this year started with some major gaming beef between Zelda fans and Horizon fans. With arguments over which was better, which was more important, etc. These two games seem destined to get compared up to and in GOTY. And there's good reason why...

Both are open world, set in a post-post apocalypse that is filled with the ruins and machines of a past world. There are towers, crafting and fighting giant creatures.

Sure there are plenty of differences between the two games and their approach to open world, but they are similar in some interesting ways and it's obvious why they were compared so much (release dates also being a factor).

Now that most of you have had some time to reflect and let your feelings settle in, I'm curious, which do you prefer?

I made it halfway through Horizon's main story--doing plenty of crafting and side quests--before getting tired of it's very familiar formula. I last played it about a month ago, and do not know if I'll finish it.

I'm currently about 30 hours into Zelda and don't see myself stopping anytime soon. The more hands off approach is such a refreshing change to open world gaming for me. Combine that with the mobility and huge amount of secrets to uncover, this game is looking to be one of my favorite games of all time.

• 
Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@zevvion: I don't think it's a cut and dry call. Some games stories are good enough to overcome mechanical short comings for me, and vice versa. Horizon's story was interesting and well written, but it wasn't interesting enough to make me want to keep playing it. Video games bring a lot of different concepts together and I'm not looking for every video game to nail one particular thing every single time.

No doubt. I recognize a good story can carry 'OK'-gameplay through to the end. But one would not consider it then for GOTY would they? One would not still give that 5-stars? I mean, I realize that it does happen a lot, but I was explaining that I do not share that judgement. I can appreciate a good story, but even something like The Last of Us I played because the actual gameplay was good and fun. I realize a lot of people hate the type of story BioShock Infinite told, but I really like that type of story but I would've never put that game on my GOTY list just for its story (even though it is one of the most fun ones I've ever experienced).

To each their own for sure, just explaining how things are for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

@zevvion: Ya different priorities and preferences for different people. Inside was my favorite game last year just because I loved the atmosphere and style of the game so much. It brought out emotions in me stronger than almost any video game I've played. That game benefits from it's brevity though. I doubt I would feel as strongly about it if it lasted for 8+ hours.

For what it's worth I loved Bioshock Infinite. The game play was fine to good, but the story and world is what did it for me.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

Zelda inferior, Horizon superior
Zelda inferior, Horizon superior

I've completed both and I don't understand how anyone could prefer Breath of the Wild over Horizon, it feels like such a bare bones product in every way.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Horizon all the way for me. I really enjoyed the story and world.

BotW is way too open for my taste. I prefer games where the story propels me forward rather than the go wherever and do whatever you want and see what happens.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think I'd go for Zelda in a direct comparison, maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it but Horizon became frustrating when every other inch of the map had a bunch of enemies on it, so I never wanted to actually explore the beautiful world and instead had to slow to a crawl and stealth through or run around stuff all the time. Also I kept running into big dirty invisible walls that weren't mapped to any geometry early on and that bummed me out every time. I gave the two games a lot of breathing room because I knew I'd compare them if I played them one after the other, but Horizon didn't really grab me even after a few months of waiting. Not because of Zelda comparisons, but because all the activities in the game were too derivative of stuff I've done too much in other open world games now. Fucking.... fuck bandit camps! Stop it! Please!!

I want a wingsuit/glider equivalent in every open world game now though. Not being able to jump off high areas and survive is lame. Horizon didn't even let me jump off some of them!