In lieu of new games, we get.. God of War III?

• 102 results
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at Sony some days. Today is one of them. Continuing their trend of not offering new first party games, they've announced God of War 3. Again. I'm almost sure this will excite some people, but honestly, Sony, where the fuck are the original games for my PS4?

smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What a time to be aliv……zzzzzzzz

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By AMyggen

Will cost $40, which is the insane part of this. Price was confirmed on an ongoing stream, and it's already up on Amazon for $39,99.

It will be released on July 17th, and here's the trailer.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By colourful_hippie

lol, this current gen continues to be content chugging along with the most boring and safest of game releases. I'm sure this was the result of an "Oh fuck, we really don't have anything else for this year!" reaction to Uncharted being pushed back

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

This is really becoming a frustrating trend for sure.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This is a PS4 remaster I assume? The top of the page doesn't have the PS4 as a system for GoW 3.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"This is the definitive edition of one of last generation's classics."

Minimum development cost, low expectation of sales immediate critical approval. This is the cycle we're in, folks. Indies have to pick up the slack but, being indies, they work at their own pace and you'll only get 1-2 first-party AAA's a year. HD's kind of gutted things.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, I love remasters, so this doesn't bother me. Though I think it's weird that they went for GOWIII over Ascension, just from a technical standpoint. GOWIII is the better game though, so I can't complain.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be fine with rereleases if there was something - anything - in the visible future that was an honest to God new game. Dust off Crash Bandicoot. Make a chintzy little platformer with Jak and whatever. Literally anything.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's March, what were you expecting? If Sony has anything up their sleeve they're gonna wait until E3

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

No GoW: Ascension, huh? Funny how that worked out.

GoW III does start out with a bang, murdering Poseiden is just awesome, that whole fight, and the 1st person. Just awesome.

Loading Video...

It sure doesn't look remastered..

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By conmulligan

I don't know that it's accurate to say a remastered God of War III is in lieu of new games because I can't imagine there are significant resources being diverted away from other projects in favour of this. It is kind of a bummer that Sony still rely so heavily on remastered games to plug holes in their first-party lineup, though. I hope they're saving all the good stuff for E3.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Stuff like this is why I kinda don't want VR to work - it'll become the next logical step to take with this nonsense. I can see the tagline now - "Experience the intensity like never before! BE the head that Kratos chops off! God of War III HD Remaster. VR!!!! Coming soon for PS4 and Oculus Rift!"

Also, how long before publishers start trying to put out downscaled versions of the HD remaster for last gen consoles, just to see how many suckers bite on it?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conmulligan: The fact that there are ANY resources going into this is a bit much.

swat200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By swat200

*long drawn out wet fart noise*

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Greatness Awaits

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THE MOST EXTREME

Vessel28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawgamer: That should be a reason to look forward to VR as they will not be able to get away with doing remasters for it. I highly doubt we will see any remasters, even of first person shooters.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

You know, I like God of War III a lot, but come on. This is just getting absurd at this point. They couldn't even include the first two GoWs with it?

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The last week of gaming news has sucked.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Does GOW3 even need a remastering? I recall that game running and looking really great already.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By conmulligan

@sparky_buzzsaw: Yeah, that's fair. If they're going to lean so heavily on rereleased games, there are dozens of titles I'd want them to tackle before God of War. I could maybe understand it if they had gone the Master Chief Collection route and collected the whole trilogy, but this seems like a particularly effortless port.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Fear_the_Booboo

QTEs will be much more responsive in 1080p and 60fps...

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24  Edited By Nodima

I never played God of War III, so this is OK with me.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This generation of consoles seems to be the 'remastered' generation instead of the next generation of gaming.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssully said:

Does GOW3 even need a remastering? I recall that game running and looking really great already.

That game still hold up today just fine imo. I just bought ps4 for bloodborne and p5 but looks like nothing is coming for a while after that.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By Evilsbane

@mooseymcman said:

You know, I like God of War III a lot, but come on. This is just getting absurd at this point. They couldn't even include the first two GoWs with it?

No shit, I own the GoW collection on PS3, its a great collection and honestly GoW 3 looks really sharp on PS3 seems like the last thing that needed an "update".

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@evilsbane: Yeah. I mean, watching the trailer for this, I think that it still looks pretty all right. But there's no way in hell I'm paying $40 to be able to play it on a PS4. Or $40 for it at all at this point. I paid my $60 on day one, and I still own that disc!

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I have to be honest, I'm not sure why people are surprised. Sony was very slow on building the PS3 library. Everything they've showed before the PS4 launched made it pretty clear this was going to be another slow one. We're not even two years in. Give it another year and great games will start coming out at a good pace. In the meantime, Bloodborne seems to be the first exclusive that's going to be amazing, that's this month. We might see another one this year.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They could just put GOW3 on PS Now. Pretty obvious why it's not on there now.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's so disappointing to see creative businesses this bereft of... creativity. It's like the video game industry's version of the reboot/remake bullshit of the modern movie industry. I imagine it has to be occasionally soul-crushing to work in those industries if you're made to just shit out remake after remake instead of being given a chance to make something new.

I guess this is what happens when the financial stakes get so high and the bosses of creative industries are just glorified accountants.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

Give it another year and great games will start coming out at a good pace.

That's what people said a year ago. I think people are getting a bit wary for good reason at this point. I know that, of course, games will come eventually; but the industry DOES appear to be fundamentally changing. "Give it another year" isn't especially comforting.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember when video games were good?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By mike

@milkman said:

Remember when video games were good?

Yes, I remember all the way back to last night when I was playing Cities: Skylines and Hotline Miami 2. Those were the days.

Slang_N_Bang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Slang_N_Bang

This is why I bought a PS4 over an Xbox One, or Wii U, to play old ass fucking games in PERFECT, BEAUTIFUL 1080p!!!(it's the only thing that truly matters in life)

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS4 is truly the best place to play PS3 games.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a shitty trend but to be honest I think a lot of people that didn't own PS3's would be happy to see games they missed get re-released.

I was one of those people when the PS4 came out, I never owned the PS3 and was hoping there would be collections of the games I missed.

I ended up buying a PS3 for cheap later down the line but I'm not gonna get worked up over this.

It's cliche at this point but if you don't like it then don't buy it.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#38  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I have too many new games for PS4 already and too little time to care about GoWIII (eugh). Chalk it up to me being busy, but it is what it is.

Huge Ass Rant:

What's happening in the industry is exceedingly transparent and obvious to all of us. I don't comprehend why people are acting like game companies are willfully not making new games, it completely boggles my mind. We are all here posting and reading about games every day. We know what is up right now. Call of Duty, the king of "comes out every year" transitioned to a 3 year cycle because they need it. To be a reductive jerk, that's 3 years for a 4-6 hour campaign and a multiplayer largely based on existing systems. Now go ahead and entirely reboot a franchise like God of War. Go ahead and build a whole new franchise, not based on anything. Tell me how long you think it should take. How long have Arkham Knight, the Witcher 3 and MGSV been in development? How long does a GTA game take? How long will Uncharted 3's development have been when it finally comes out? And you want brand new games/franchises of that caliber, now?

We know that every single AAA game is a 2-5 year process. We also know that the new consoles just came out. Only a fraction of developers had started building any games at all before the consoles came out, because that's smart business. If that makes you angry - OK? When you have a multimillion dollar company, you can tell your workforce to ignore the giant install bases and start building a game for a console with 0 users because it seems it will be popular.

PS4 was released in November 2013. That's 1 year and 4 months ago, roughly.

1 year. 4 months.

Every AAA game is a 2-5 year process.

Something doesn't add up between our expectations and the reality of the situation.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I hate God of War. Congrats to people that missed out on playing this for whatever reason, I guess.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AthleticShark

Honestly both Xbox and ps4 are disappointing. The generation gap in hardware is not as big as it should be. They both lack games. Originality. I would also include Wii U because even though they have had a ton of hits so far, it's the same stuff over and over again.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#41  Edited By Humanity

This is for the players.

@geraltitude The big problem is that usually you have some decent launch games to tide you over. Last gen by this time we had Gears of War among other pretty iconic game series. I can't remember them all off the top of my head but they were pretty good entries for the launch window. This generation has not eased us into the wait required for good games. There aren't many good title to fall back on. A lot of people spent money on these consoles and are still waiting for that one big game - I still am. I own all of three games for the PS4: Destiny that it came with, InFamous and Dragon Age. I really enjoyed two of those but since then I've been waiting. I'm hoping Bloodborne will be good but if it's not.. then I get to wait another 2 months before the next big release comes along - Witcher 3 - and I actually have that ordered on PC. After the Witcher 3 the only thing I can think of is Phantom Pain all the way in septembers.

I get that games take 2-3 years to make, but we also need games to play in the meantime. They managed it last generation somehow.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: So then why not shore it up with forty dollar budget games, with either old or new IPs? We don't need a steady flow of AAA games, but a few indie titles a week is pretty weak. No one's saying these need to be Modern Warfare sized games.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@zevvion said:

Give it another year and great games will start coming out at a good pace.

That's what people said a year ago. I think people are getting a bit wary for good reason at this point. I know that, of course, games will come eventually; but the industry DOES appear to be fundamentally changing. "Give it another year" isn't especially comforting.

It's just a repeat of the PS3 though. I don't want to sound like an ass, but if you didn't see this coming; you didn't follow it closely enough.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

NEXT GEN!

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have too many new games for PS4 already and too little time to care about GoWIII (eugh). Chalk it up to me being busy, but it is what it is.

Huge Ass Rant:

What's happening in the industry is exceedingly transparent and obvious to all of us. I don't comprehend why people are acting like game companies are willfully not making new games, it completely boggles my mind. We are all here posting and reading about games every day. We know what is up right now. Call of Duty, the king of "comes out every year" transitioned to a 3 year cycle because they need it. To be a reductive jerk, that's 3 years for a 4-6 hour campaign and a multiplayer largely based on existing systems. Now go ahead and entirely reboot a franchise like God of War. Go ahead and build a whole new franchise, not based on anything. Tell me how long you think it should take. How long have Arkham Knight, the Witcher 3 and MGSV been in development? How long does a GTA game take? How long will Uncharted 3's development have been when it finally comes out? And you want brand new games/franchises of that caliber, now?

We know that every single AAA game is a 2-5 year process. We also know that the new consoles just came out. Only a fraction of developers had started building any games at all before the consoles came out, because that's smart business. If that makes you angry - OK? When you have a multimillion dollar company, you can tell your workforce to ignore the giant install bases and start building a game for a console with 0 users because it seems it will be popular.

PS4 was released in November 2013. That's 1 year and 4 months ago, roughly.

1 year. 4 months.

Every AAA game is a 2-5 year process.

Something doesn't add up between our expectations and the reality of the situation.

You know I get what you're saying. You're right, these things doesn't just make themselves, they take time and that's cool. But this was not a problem last generation. 2006 and 2007 had plenty of new inventive IP's, new iterations on excisting franchises and plenty of B-list releases to hold over when releases were drying up. So what the hell happened? Did AAA game development just become so fucking bloated and financially out of control that we should be grateful if we have to wait 2, maybe 3 years before these boxes get going? How is that okay?

Avatar image for kommradeobvious
KommradeObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This reminds me, I should play GoW 2, again. On the PS2

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Sure, why not. I'll take an excuse to play this game again. It also means it's one step closer to releasing an HD remaster of the first three Uncharted games, which I really want.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

“We’re remastering God of War III!” is an announcement that would be merely odd, were it not emblematic of a greater trend of desperation. Alex N.

So what you are saying is Nintendo's buiness model should be called desperation?

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never played it, so neat. However, it would be cool to get like... actual new games.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great for the people who came from Xbox 360 to PS4 and maybe never had the chance to play any of those games. As for me i already played it on PS3, so don't see any reason why i should re buy it.