Do you intend on using GOG Galaxy?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Poll Do you intend on using GOG Galaxy? (134 votes)

Yes 70%
No 22%
I have no interest in GOG whatsoever, so this doesn't apply to me 8%

Inspired by the goings-on in this thread.

Basically, GOG Galaxy is GOG's (optional) Steam-like client. It will include stuff like auto-updates, achievements, friend lists, and whatnot. So, do you plan on using it once it's launched later this year?

• 
spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By spraynardtatum

I'll definitely try it out. Do you know if you can still get a DRM free version of the game if you're using the client?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Probably, yeah.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Corevi
@spraynardtatum said:

I'll definitely try it out. Do you know if you can still get a DRM free version of the game if you're using the client?

You do, all it does is track achievements and allow easy multiplayer.

I'll try it when Witcher 3 comes out but I have my reservations.

Why is this in the Quantum Theory forum? That has nothing to do with anything ever.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#4 ZombiePie  Staff

I use GOG whenever I want to purchase older PC games, but the last thing I want to do is be apart of another online distribution ecosystem. I'll certainly give it a shot, but if we are being realistic I cannot image what GOG does to keep me invested and active in their client. Especially when all of my PC playing friends have more multiplayer and leaderboard minded games on Steam versus GOG.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Can't wait to watch everyone love this and continue to hate Origin on reddit.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Day 1.

All the benefits (achievements, multiplayer, friends, updates storefront) of a client without DRM?

Heck yeah! If Galaxy delivers they get might most of my business from Steam.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I wrote a bunch on this, but the forums ate it earlier (because the topic was moved while I was writing it =( ) and I've been working up the nerve to write something else.

Basically, no.

I use GOG whenever I want to purchase older PC games, but the last thing I want to do is be apart of another online distribution ecosystem. I'll certainly give it a shot, but if we are being realistic I cannot image what GOG does to keep me invested and active in their client. Especially when all of my PC playing friends have more multiplayer and leaderboard minded games on Steam versus GOG.

This basically says it, but without my amazing charm. =P

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

With it I might actually play a GOG game now.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By myke_tuna

@nightriff said:

With it I might actually play a GOG game now.

Same. I forget to add them to my Steam games list, so I forget about them quite a bit.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Nah, I don't want another client on my computer. The only games I buy on GOG are older ones I can't get anywhere else--I don't need to buy indie games with no DRM, as I trust Steam. I have no issue with downloading my older games individually from GOG.com whenever I want to play one.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'll give it a go. The thing about Gog is i've probably already purchased all 5 old pc games that i'll ever want to play. What else is there after dungeon keeper, startopia and of course the greatest game ever made, Sacrifice.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yeah if only so I can keep better track of my GOG games.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'll give it a try.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. But they've built up enough good grace with me for doing what they do consistently for so long that I might give it a look. Given the amount of old games available on GOG, maybe I could make it my old game service while Steam is mostly newer stuff.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I will give it a look, but unless I can unlock achievements in Temple of Elemental Evil or something I doubt it will be used much more than I use Origin.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

If it makes updating, installing, and keeping track of my GOG games easier, then yeah.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont see why not. I don't play gog games alot, but I do every so often. It would be nice to keep things up to date without having to download the latest version, uninstalling the old one, and installing the new one.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a central hub for games, which means I won't have to deal with individual exzecutables. Done and done.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By coolarman

I saw the name i just thought of the movie of the Guardians of the Galaxy. I don't know why but somehow i put 2 and 2 together

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By AndrewB

GOG, Steam, and maybe if there was some kind of Humble Bundle client (although they generally provide Steam keys where available anyway) are three services I wouldn't mind running a client for, although I don't want to have separate Steam/GOG/Humble Bundle community features like chat etc.

I mean, I was already using the GOG download manager, even if that's mostly because GOG made it a bit more of a hassle than necessary to download stuff by breaking installers up into multiple files and including each of the additional digital content options (manuals, maps, soundtrack) as separate links, presumably to save bandwidth.

I also use Origin because I have to. Not that it's an offensive client, but I don't play many EA games these days and so it's irritating to have to switch to a different client when I want to do so. Kinda the same for UPlay, actually. It's like a leech that's embedded itself upon an executable.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I have a feeling it's something I will install and then use once or twice a year. So yes, technically I will use it, but unless GOG gets a significantly expanded library it's not going to take me away from Steam.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll try it out. I hope it's good, because the Steam client is really shitty, so Valve could use some competition. Origin's is very solid, but it's also barebones, so not really the same league.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de
deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely from Day 1. I'm actually hoping that GOG becomes bigger than Steam, because the sheer variety of DRM-free indie stuff and classics, alongside CD Projekt's dedication to improving the service, is fantastic

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'll give it a go, just like I did with Steam over a decade ago.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samfo said:

Can't wait to watch everyone love this and continue to hate Origin on reddit.

If origin was optional like this is going to be I don't think anyone would have a problem with it.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steam without the DRM? Sure, I'll give it a shot.

I fucking hate Steam with an unbridled fury that probably seems irrational