Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@darji said:

@bocam said:

@rowr: Franklin's aunt seems out of place

@milkman: That's what I was trying to point out. But on the other hand the men are just as bad

How is she out of place? It is a perfect parody of feminists and Rockstar always has actual topics in their characters.

Maybe out of place is the wrong way to put it. Badly written may be better. Her chanting "Vulva, vulva, vulva" just seemed dumb

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Wow, I didn't think that so many people would react as they have on GS... probably mostly babbling teenagers but still.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@bocam said:

@darji said:

@bocam said:

@milkman: That's what I was trying to point out. But on the other hand the men are just as bad

How is she out of place? It is a perfect parody of feminists and Rockstar always has actual topics in their characters.

Maybe out of place is the wrong way to put it. Badly written may be better. Her chanting "Vulva, vulva, vulva" just seemed dumb

I think Darji likes it because it parodies a thing he so vehemently despises. If she was flipped and was parodying a men's rights activist, he'd be calling Rockstar a part of the "PC MOB" or some nonsense. I don't care either way. The sexism debate needs to stop being brought into every topic on this site.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#154  Edited By JasonR86

I just read the Gamespot review. I'll have to play it myself to see if those things bother me or not. On the one hand, they are emulating the real world where sexism is very real so not having it there would be odd. These games are satirical and so everything, including sexism, should be fair game. But if they glorify sexism and don't have any recourse, either for those actions or for those characters, then I might have a problem with it. But at the sane time if they glorify crime with no recourse I'd have a problem with that too.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#155  Edited By Milkman

@rowr: Again, she gave the game a 9/10. You make it sound like she hated it. If her perspective isn't interesting to you, that's fine but her review really isn't much of a outlier from every other review published today. The core of the review is still "this game is really fucking good."

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@drdarkstryfe said:

The game is very misogynistic, but it is also a Dan Houser joint. You know what you are going to get when the man is the lead writer.

As for the "bad things just because" angle, I really have not seen that in the time I put into the title so far. Franklin has a very clear set of motivations that drive what he is doing. Michael hits a pretty important moment early that sets him on his path. Lester is actually pretty goal driven for the wild card he is.

This game is also very racist. So what? GTA characters are always totally extreme and GTAV is no exception. That goes for male as for female characters. I have atlaeast seen the same amount of male characters so far someone could get offended by especially the black ones.

I'm guessing you mean the characters are racist?

There's a difference between the characters being racist and the game being racist.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@bocam said:

You are a massive tool.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh hey look...the game got really high marks...and people thought I was crazy for thinking that for some reason, as if it weren't a given. Go figure.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@bocam said:

You are a massive tool.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@jking47 said:

@excast: If one of the steak reviewers was a woman, or transgender, would you say they should not be reviewing steak because it has always been a food associated with masculinity? If the steak house is called "Big Daves Steakhouse for DUDEZ ONLY!" and is covered with pictures of half naked ladies, and the female/transgender reviewer gives the place a 9/10 and says "Amazing steak, but the place is profoundly misogynistic", would you say they shouldn't be reviewing it because its obviously for men only?

Sounds like that steakhouse loves women.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@punkxblaze: Logged in after reading this post just for the sole purpose of telling you I really appreciated reading it.

It might not be the be-all, end-all opinion on the subject. Hell, you'll be lucky to have most in this thread agree with you on each tenet. But at least there's a little bit of even-handed reason still around.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#162  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

The Verge

No Score

"A wild ride through a crazy world"

"I wanted to see what would happen to Trevor, Michael, and Franklin more than I wanted to try jumping a motorcycle onto a moving train — and I really wanted to trying landing that jump."

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#163  Edited By dr_mantas

I don't give a damn about scores. For any game. So griping on that seems silly.

I'm just glad I finally won the round of "Social Justice issue of the day for Game Critics" bingo.

I wonder if it would be possible to somehow gather statistics about what proportion of people buying GTA are female. Would be interesting to know.

And it's also interesting how similar types of people that praise creative control go apeshit when they don't agree with someone's creation.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rowr said:

@darji said:

@drdarkstryfe said:

The game is very misogynistic, but it is also a Dan Houser joint. You know what you are going to get when the man is the lead writer.

As for the "bad things just because" angle, I really have not seen that in the time I put into the title so far. Franklin has a very clear set of motivations that drive what he is doing. Michael hits a pretty important moment early that sets him on his path. Lester is actually pretty goal driven for the wild card he is.

This game is also very racist. So what? GTA characters are always totally extreme and GTAV is no exception. That goes for male as for female characters. I have atlaeast seen the same amount of male characters so far someone could get offended by especially the black ones.

There's a difference between the characters being racist and the game being racist.

No the generalization of these characters are very racist. Not the protagonists but a lot of side characters. They are stereotypical and and extreme in that and That is why his aunt also fits perfectly into all this. You have these stereotypical politician you have these feminists, you have these black people. Michael's family are a bunch of assholes, There are tons of rednecks and so on. So why is a parody of a feminist out of place?

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Ctrl + F: 31 hits for misogny over 160 posts.

A word meaning an outright hatred of women.

Male chauvinism might be a better term to use. But we're going to get more of a reaction by being extremist in both opinion and exaggeration, right? It's getting to the point where I can barely go online to discuss video games, because everyone is too busy arguing with the mentality of school children.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Crembaw

And it's also interesting how similar types of people that praise creative control go apeshit when they don't agree with someone's creation.

She didn't go apeshit. She critiqued it as is her right and still loved the game even though it slightly detracted from her experience.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She didn't go apeshit. She critiqued it as is her right and still loved the game even though it slightly detracted from her experience.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry guys. Games aren't allowed to have male leads anymore. If they do? Sexist. If a woman is kidnapped? Sexist. If a woman shows a hint of skin? Sexist. Fuck off.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@rowr said:

@darji said:

@drdarkstryfe said:

No the generalization of these characters are very racist. Not the protagonists but a lot of side characters. They are stereotypical and and extreme in that and That is why his aunt also fits perfectly into all this. You have these stereotypical politician you have these feminists, you have these black people. Michael's family are a bunch of assholes, There are tons of rednecks and so on. So why is a parody of a feminist out of place?

Goddamit.

Americans really need to be taught in school or something how racism works. All this misogny stuff is basically the same misinterpretation.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry guys. Games aren't allowed to have male leads anymore. If they do? Sexist. If a woman is kidnapped? Sexist. If a woman shows a hint of skin? Sexist. Fuck off.

Isn't school in session right now? Why are you here?

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@milkman said:

@winternet said:

@milkman said:
@gaminghooligan said:

"Don't buy this game about criminals if you think criminals are criminals." -The Escapist

If a character is doing shitty things just for the sake of doing shitty things, then that's a poorly written character.

What happened to the "some men just want to watch the world burn"?

The site just ate my post...great. What I was GOING to say was...

Those "men who just want to watch the world burn" are typically the antagonist in the story and those kind of characters can certainly be effective in their own right but as a protagonist, I can see how someone who just a piece of shit for no reason other than being a piece of shit could create a disconnect and in turn make the story less interesting.

Walter White does terrible things in Breaking Bad but they are all justified within his character, even if you may not necessarily agree with those justifications. To him, as a character, what he's doing is for some sort of greater good. If Walt just ran around shooting people in the head because it was fun, he would a pretty bad character, I think.

It depends on how you structure it and how things are played out. Funny Games isn't a worse movie because the two guys are evil and don't have an ulterior motive besides being evil. And I, as a viewer, am definitely not connecting with them, but still, the quality of the movie doesn't decreased based on that.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Milkman

Who are you even talking to?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rowr said:

@darji said:

@rowr said:

@darji said:

@drdarkstryfe said:

Goddamit.

Americans really need to be taught in school or something how racism works. All this misogny stuff is basically the same misinterpretation.

First of all I am not american. Secondly I know how this works and I totally agree with you but if people think this is misogynistic they also have to call this game racist because of these characters. That is the whole point here....

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I watched Petit's review earlier. She spent about ten seconds on misogyny and 8 minutes on praise, and the misogyny complaint doesn't even look unjustified.

Oh well. I'm ready to terrorize fake LA!

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Good thing all those points were brought up in her review or you'd look really foolish right about now. Wait, she didn't mention any of that. And she gave it a 9 out of 10. Christ. People are acting like she gave it a 1 and said "GTA MUST BURN FOR IT'S SINS!"

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit. Do we really need this ridiculous sexism discussion for EVERYTHING?

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@hailinel said:

@winternet: Sure you can. If the personalities of the protagonists lessen your enjoyment of the game, they're making the game worse.

Is "Goodfellas" a bad movie because it's about despicable people, including a sociopath, an opportunistic snitch and a violent man with anger issues and a Napoleon complex, none of whom are portrayed as appealing in a different way than "they're gangsters, and I guess Henry Hill is less psychotic"?

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@milkman: I wasn't trying to knock the Escapist review that hard, I actually think there are some good points being made in it. I just thought lines like the opener: In GTA V, you play as a terrible person. Are kind of funny. I mean the game is called Grand Theft Auto. I think it's important for anti-hero or bad guy protagonists to be well written, but seeing as I haven't played it yet I can't make a judgment call on the writing yet.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giantbomb 5 outa 5. Now i know where jeff be getting his dough.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@ghostiet: Does Goodfellas suffer in your mind because of the way the characters are portrayed? I enjoy the movie, but that doesn't mean I can't criticize GTAV for having an unlikable cast if I feel the game suffers because of that.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Might check out Jeff's review just for the hell of it but I honestly don't care about those other sites and what they are scoring it. I already made my mind up when it was announced. I'm getting this game.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best review I've read so far.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#185  Edited By Humanity

@milkman: I simply take great issue with using the word "misogynistic" because as I stated before thats a very powerful term. You don't just throw that around willy nilly. I doubt the Hausers are misogynists and likewise don't think their story has misogynistic qualities to it - unless there are plenty of scenes where men dominate over women, and intend cruelty and harm towards them for no reason other than their passionate hatred towards them. Excluding women from a story is not misogynistic and really it doesn't even always have to be sexist either. It would be nice if people paid to write for a living were a little more conscientious of what they put out there considering a lot of younger people tend to read their work.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is anyone else a little bit disappointed in Carolyn? If she was deeply and profoundly offended by the game's attitude towards women why is the game still getting a 9? She made a stand, and I applaud her for it, but she didn't go all the way. I still think that even amongst some of the most progressive and thick skinned reviewers there is a belief that certain franchises deserve a certain base score.

Disclaimer: I've pre-ordered GTA and I'm really excited to play it.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Milkman

@humanity: I haven't read all the reviews but the "there isn't a female protagonist" doesn't seem like a talking point in a lot of the reviews. The complaints seem to be about the female characters that are actually in the game. Whether it's "misogynist" or "sexist" or whatever is really just semantics. I don't think anyone is trying to say that the people who make GTA are women haters or anything. Just that maybe the portrayal of women isn't very good. You might be right that misogynist is a strong word but I think the criticisms are still valid.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh the drama!

Loading Video...

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Male chauvinism might be a better term to use. But we're going to get more of a reaction by being extremist in both opinion and exaggeration, right? It's getting to the point where I can barely go online to discuss video games, because everyone is too busy arguing with the mentality of school children.

Dear god stop arguing semantics. Your definition is different than the definition I could pull from wikipedia, or from a different online dictionary / encyclopedia. We all know what misogny means, but instead of actually talking about the issue you are complaining about a mostly insignificant word choice. "It's getting to the point where I can barely go online to discuss video games, because everyone is too busy arguing about word choice."

This thread is embarrassing. Two reviewers briefly mentioned that there are some weird sexist things in the game, but the game is still totally great. You people are acting like the reviewer smacked you in the face and tied you up and read you a feminist newsletter against your will.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Sergio

@kishinfoulux said:

Good thing all those points were brought up in her review or you'd look really foolish right about now. Wait, she didn't mention any of that. And she gave it a 9 out of 10. Christ. People are acting like she gave it a 1 and said "GTA MUST BURN FOR IT'S SINS!"

Just want to point out that this thread isn't specifically about one particular review, and she isn't the only one who has brought up the possibility of sexism and misogyny in GTA V in their review. That post you quote doesn't even seem to be about any particular review, but the general trend in game journalism.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Sergio

@kishinfoulux said:

Just want to point out that this thread isn't specifically about one particular review, and she isn't the only one who has brought up the possibility of sexism and misogyny in GTA V in their review. That post you quote doesn't even seem to be about any particular review, but the general trend in game journalism.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viking_funeral said:

Dear god stop arguing semantics. Your definition is different than the definition I could pull from wikipedia, or from a different online dictionary / encyclopedia. We all know what misogny means, but instead of actually talking about the issue you are complaining about a mostly insignificant word choice. "It's getting to the point where I can barely go online to discuss video games, because everyone is too busy arguing about word choice."

This thread is embarrassing. Two reviewers briefly mentioned that there are some weird sexist things in the game, but the game is still totally great. You people are acting like the reviewer smacked you in the face and tied you up and read you a feminist newsletter against your will.

Dude you're not supposed to talk about things you think about stuff.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Sessler said that Trevor could be one of the best characters ever written, in any medium. Strong words, but I certainly look forward to finding out for myself.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@kishinfoulux said:

But she is overwhelmingly the one being talked about/attacked the most. Including in this thread.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#198  Edited By vaiz

@ramone: Just to clarify, let me make sure I understand the point you're making; you are saying that she should have docked the game even further for the misogyny aspect, to make a point, but didn't because it's expected that a GTA game will have a certain high base score because it's GTA?

If so, I'm not sure I agree. As I mentioned before, it's absolutely her prerogative to feel offended or uncomfortable about the game's content in that sense, but docking it down to, let's say, a seven, would be incredibly misleading. A lot of people simply see a numbered score, and don't actually read the context of the review to go with it. When I see a game that has a 7/10 (Or, to simplify it, let's say a 3.5/5), I assume there is something mechanically wrong with the game, that it is broken in some way and the gameplay itself is hindered by the flaws. This is not the case-- I think her docking any more than one point from the game for this reason would have been disingenuous in a sense, but that gets in to a whole other conversation as to how games are scored and on what criteria they should be scored on, between objective mechanical factors and subjective opinions on content, and this is not the place for that.

If I misunderstood your meaning, though, I apologize for the long winded response, and I'd be interested to hear you elaborate.

@historyinrust: I appreciate the sentiment. It bugs me how knee-jerk the internet tends to be as a whole, and I fall in to the same habits more often than I'd like to admit, but I think in a situation like this where so much abuse is being heaped on the reviewer, it's important that people try to get their opinions out without turning it in to a tirade of FEMINAZI LOL TRANNY FREAK like so many people seem to be doing.

By the way, guys, not to get back on topic or anything, but based on these reviews I am super excited to play this fucking game. Even better, it's coming out three days before my birthday SO GUESS WHAT I'M GETTIN' FOR A BIRTHDAY PRESENT.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@viking_funeral said:

Er....word choice is VERY important when trying to get a point a cross. A single word can completely change the context,meaning and tone of a sentence. Id hardly say complaining about people frivolously flinging about the word "misogyny" is semantics.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punkxblaze: My point was more that I don't believe a game which offends someone's sensibilities and beliefs like that can still get such a high score.