finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By finstern

FUCK THIS MISSION.

Must have taken at least 5 - 10 tries. That was some Peace Walker level boss fight, except way harder. Fight, waste all ammo, call in resupply X 20.

No Caption Provided

NTA_Luciana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By NTA_Luciana

YOOOOOO

I cannot make it past this level. I've died like 30 times. Is health regen not supposed to be active? Cause I am definitely not regenerating health. That's probably why I've died 30+ times.

Tophat666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

That mission with Skulls Fight at the airport, YEP!!!
I had a huge problem too, but you just got to keep running, fire when you can, Quite helps too, & the dive button is your friend.

MrSwift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quiet does so much of the work, I tried using the honeybee and Grenada launchers but she seems to do far more damage. Ended up hiding and counter cqc most of the time and machine gunning them after quiet got rid of the rock armour.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Skulls at the airport? get up on the building, they won't come up, then you just use one of the mortars on top and explode them

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I spottet them and called in a bombardment. Hardly heroic, but it whittles them down.

NTA_Luciana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shirogane: THANK YOU I finally managed to finish this mission thanks to this tip.

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was the hardest part of the game, for sure. They give you practically zero time to get your bearings before you're either dying instantly to a certain attack or someone else is dying.
I had to quit out and adjust my loadout a couple times, and even then I only barely managed without running out of ammo. Quiet + close range LMG + combat dress is how I did it.

Blommer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Blommer4

I did this with a non-lethal sniper with low damage. It took me more than one hour, no jokes.

Mindkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skulls are the worst boss fights yet in a Metal Gear game. Thankfully a far cooler one happens soon.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pie

Yeah that wasn't a great fight. Just hanged out on top of the hangar and blew off their armour with rockets and then hit them with a stun rifle. How do you extract them guys though? It is an optional objective but you can't fulton them during the sandstorm mist thing and then at the end they wake up and jump away

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're not that hard. If you want an easy kill use D-Walker with the Gatling gun works like a charm.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BurBan_Snake

Just fucking wait..

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is an AA gun really close to where that fight starts, I just ran straight there and was able to kill two of them straight off before they really got their act together.

fossas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was having a lot of trouble, and then figured out this hot tip: buy any light machine gun and use the shit out of that; it chews through the skulls

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@pie said:

Yeah that wasn't a great fight. Just hanged out on top of the hangar and blew off their armour with rockets and then hit them with a stun rifle. How do you extract them guys though? It is an optional objective but you can't fulton them during the sandstorm mist thing and then at the end they wake up and jump away

Not really a spoiler since it's been shown off in a ton of gameplay demos but: Wormhole Fulton. It requires 40 support and 40 R&D, if I recall correctly. A good fair few of these objectives are meant to be done in a repeat play (such as extracting the Man on Fire from Episode 20. For your first playthrough, just play the game and enjoy the ride.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Man, I must have spent two hours trying to do this mission non-lethally with my tranq. pistol, only to get no reward at the end. It also gave me a rank "C".

I then proceeded to play the mission with D-Walker and complete it in a couple of minutes. Rank "S".

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't know you could call supply drops there....I ran out of all my ammo and ended up baiting them into a machete attack so I could counter them. it worked, machete's do great damage on them.

mantis132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just used a grenade launcher + lmg while on D-horse. use the grenade launcher to take out the armor and then blast them with the lmg took, me like 10 attempts......

TheFatalWound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

D-Walker's gatling gun absolutely melts them. Just stand slightly out of range of their reach and you can melt their HP bars in a matter of seconds. Not exaggerating.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I did have to try this fight a few times, but it's not all that difficult really. Just constantly moving and using the RPG launcer.

It seems like a lot of you fought them inside the airport, but I moved next to the cliffs outside of the airport to engage them. The Skulls will often bunch up right next to the cliff wall, so you can just fire an RPG straight into the cliffside and catch all of them with splash damage.

If you're having trouble with this fight on mission 29, just wait until you have to fight The Skulls on extreme difficulty later on and the thrown rocks will one shot you every time. I used the same strategy and still got through it without all that much trouble.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had to try like three times, but I just pelted them with an LMG while moving close to them, causing them to use their machetes, and then timing the parry. Worked like a charm.

paulithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LMG, Assault rifle and Quiet covering fire with Upgraded Sniper oh and battle armour for extra defence

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beat it in 3 minutes 2 seconds after an hour of FRUSTRATION, d walker with gatling gun as mentioned before will just ruin them. Was kinda fun experimenting with various loaders though

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Now that I've figured it out I know what to do but until then my god. MY GOD.

If you suck as much as I do, perhaps these tips will help:

• Run to the left of the starting area, kill the walking zombies first, then fight the skulls. The left side area has many tanks for cover and the hanger to run in.
  • Quiet is super helpful here, as she will just wittle enemies down as you run around them.
  • They are easier to fight when you are closer to them. That will trigger their melee attack and you can counter attack.
  • LMG and Assault Rifles are nice, but also try out:
  • The Shield! Equip the shield and take a good handgun (magnum, etc). Sweet thing about the shield is you can also use it to defend even when using a two hand weapon. Just turn your back on the skulls!
  • You can tell when they are going to poke a rock from under the ground by the red sparks
  • You can destroy the giant floating rocks with gunfire
  • If you are sprinting perpendicular to the thrower the giant rocks will 99% miss you
  • If you sprint then dive the giant rocks will always miss you
  • The helicopter and tanks block giant rocks
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Turambar

There is also an AA gun in the area that will melt one of them from full health in about 10 seconds of sustained fire.

It was honestly a much more manageable fight than the 4 Skulls snipers. The entire airport fight felt like catharsis after dealing with Code Talker's extraction.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually found this much easier (still a good number of tries) in the Extreme Version. If you can research the Brennan Anti Material Sniper it absolutely obliterates them if you can get a headshot. Sit on the roof of the hanger like others suggest and just keep an eye and ear our for the Rock Mine things

Damienduerst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: Haha the convoy I just bombarded them after I determined that I couldn't stand and fight them sneak around them nor did I have an upgraded launcher powerful enough to knock off enough armor to kill them. Fun Fact I ran 600 meters away from them and the last one standing instantly teleported to me after the artillery landed.

Syce300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finstern said:

If you can research the Brennan Anti Material Sniper it absolutely obliterates them if you can get a headshot. Sit on the roof of the hanger like others suggest and just keep an eye and ear our for the Rock Mine things

Yeah this. I kinda screwed myself by bringing in my nonlethal loadout and was too stubborn to restart so I just called in the anti-material sniper and beat them no problem. Baiting them into a machete attack and shooting them in the head while stunned takes off about half of their health bar. As for the regen health thing I did notice it was far slower and forced me to stand still for a good 5 seconds before it would begin to regen. Annoying but if you run into a building you should have plenty of time.

SgtExo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I learned that you do not regen health when sprinting while watching the kinda funny lets plays. I do not think that they say it outright somewhere but it does say to get into cover to heal up AKA not moving.

I first tried using the killer bee launcher like in the first mission you fight them, but the damage it was doing was non existent, so I called doing a LMG and gunned them doing while running and diving out of the melee attacks.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I must have spent two hours trying to do this mission non-lethally with my tranq. pistol, only to get no reward at the end. It also gave me a rank "C".

I then proceeded to play the mission with D-Walker and complete it in a couple of minutes. Rank "S".

This

Avatar image for a_faceless_name
A_Faceless_Name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The zombies at least you can just do a cqc grab and slit their throats.

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

D-Walker with gatling gun is the only way.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By Nardak

I used quiet for this mission. Thankfully my save wasn't corrupted. Think I did this mission on my second try. Quiet just basically kills the skulls while I ran around using level 3 or 4 rocket launcher on them.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I actually did this mission on my 2nd go, it was super easy once I realised what to do. Just run around, fire off some rockets, fire off some bursts with the fake m4 and keep going. Quiet helps a lot too.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YOOOOOO

I cannot make it past this level. I've died like 30 times. Is health regen not supposed to be active? Cause I am definitely not regenerating health. That's probably why I've died 30+ times.

dont know about health regen in general in the game but the sneaking suit you can get from uploading your save from ground zero has health regen. although it only seem to take effect when your laying down, so maybe thats why or if you get heavily hurt you get the triangle promt. to heal yourself but thats not really something to rely on. so when you get badly hurt lay down on your stomach and it regens fairly fast.
also just use the d-walker

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

Did everyone else think, after Mission 28, the "to be continued" screen and then dropping you back to the ACC screen WITHOUT Code Talker in it was the fucking weirdest most jarring thing in this game so far? And then another "to be continued" right after the Mission 29? Kojima what are you doing?

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By avantegardener

@mechakirby said:

Did everyone else think, after Mission 28, the "to be continued" screen and then dropping you back to the ACC screen WITHOUT Code Talker in it was the fucking weirdest most jarring thing in this game so far? And then another "to be continued" right after the Mission 29? Kojima what are you doing?

Yep, very strange choice, bearing in mind I haven't finished the game (just beat 29 at the time of writing) and this may be explained, it was just a jarring load-out break (which is probably something that came up in play testing), personally would have preferred it roll straight into the mission and force/teach you the importance of in mission supply drops.

On topic, LOVED this fight, forced you to think and be resourceful, really liked the sense of dread and desperation... then blazed those fools with D-Walker.

saucygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish the counters attack prompts were more reliable on the skulls, but maybe that would make the battle more based on skill then dumbass luck

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i got my lmg and killed them with no sweat it was actually kinda hilarious

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Devil240Z

Well I just failed this like 5 times. guess Ill try again tomorrow.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By BigBoss1911

This mission was a bitch, after a few tries I just ended up standing on one of the rooftops spamming rockets and grenades.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I must be the only one who actually enjoys MGSV's boss encounters. Not that I'm good at them mind you, and they feel very out of place and archaic in a game that is otherwise so streamlined... Well, at least gameplay wise. With this one I pretty much just started taking them head-on succesfully hitting the QTE's and had Quiet and my trusty rocket launcher do the rest of the work.

BluPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was having a lot of trouble with this fight until I busted out the LMG and learned the timing on the counter CQC attacks. Stun a skull with CQC and then just unload on them with the LMG.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

D. Walker, upgraded gatling gun, keep moving. Managed to get them on my third try.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By Milkman

This mission seemed impossible the first couple times I played it but once I figured out a good strategy, it was pretty simple albeit kind of tedious.

Come equip with a rocket launcher and grenade launcher. As soon as the fight starts, sprint to the building in front of you and climb the ladder. The Skulls won't follow you up and the only acttack that can reach are those giant spikes, which are pretty easy to avoid. Just pepper them with grenades and rockets and call in supply drops when you run out of ammo.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was fun going back to it with toys like the automatic anti material rifle or a minigin walker gear, doesn't even feel like a fair fight tbh.

EZPZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this mission is so easy. I almost finished it on first try but I got a surprise shot.

Just draw them inside the broken plane storehouse and hide on the other side. they will never be able to shoot you or come to you, Just stand on the other side of the plane and keep shooting. also much easier if you bring the strongest sniper rifle. it rapes their HP

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Devil240Z

I've never used d walker before so maybe I'll try that next.