Will we select an official Giant Bomb MKX Faction?

• 72 results
Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Poll Will we select an official Giant Bomb MKX Faction? (397 votes)

Black Dragon 11%
Brotherhood of the Shadow 13%
Lin Kuei 38%
Special Forces 20%
White Lotus Society 19%

So, with the release of this video, we know that there will be 5 factions in the game that affect online components through both single player and online play.

The announced factions are:

• Black Dragon: This is Kano's organized crime ring. Kano is generally lame, but Kabal is generally awesome.
  • Brotherhood of the Shadow: This is basically Shinnok's Faction. So if you align with them, you're aligning with Quan Chi. Who wants that?
  • Lin Kuei: This is the ninja clan that Sub Zero (both elder and younger), Smoke, Cyrax, and Sektor are from. Unfortunately, this is also the clan that wants to kill all of its members and make them cyborgs, and constantly aligns with Outworld.
  • Spec Ops/Special Forces: This is Jax and Sonya's organization, who in the original timeline help reprogram Cyrax to remember his humanity.
  • White Lotus Society: This is the order of Shaolin Monks that have aligned themselves with Raiden, so people like Kung Lao and Liu Kang

So with the above in mind, what should we use as an official faction once the game is out?

I'm leaning towards Special Forces or White Lotus Society. Mostly because the only cool Lin Kuei are all defectors, Shinnok/Quan Chi are the lamest, and Kano has little man syndrome.

That said, I'd want to contribute to whatever faction the site chooses the most. Vote away!

• 
MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I have to support the special forces, only because I assume that is whom Stryker is a part of. The only mortal kombatant who lacks special powers and brings a gun to a fist fight... Wait has he been confirmed one way or the other for X?

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrwakka: Sadly, I've not heard anything about Stryker being in the game.

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MrWakka

Dammit, I also managed to confirm no mention of stryker on this game wiki thing called giant bomb or something, now I must question if its even worth buying... Actually I really really enjoyed 9 so I will, but not as happily!

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrwakka: We'll probably find out he's Cassie Cage's godfather or something (That's really probably Jax)

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't know which one to join. I was just gonna join whichever faction my main belonged to, but I don't know who I wanna main yet. D'Vorah is probably my top pick so far, but they haven't revealed her allegiances yet so...

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Silver-Streak

@babychoochoo: She's looks pretty cool and her fighting styles are really interesting. Unfortunately, I bet you she'll be aligned with Shinnok.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All you GB Folks voting for the Lin Kuei make me sad. :(

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By csl316

I'm a big Kabal fan, but I went Lin Kuei. White Lotus is cool and all, but ninjas still hold some sway over me (growing up on the Turtles and all).

But I'm not against Special Forces, considering when I met Jax he was a cool dude.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@silver-streak: Lin Kuei is what everybody is going to pick and is boring as fuck

Obvious Special forces should be GB official faction as it's the one Stryker belongs to who we all know is the official MK representative of Giant Bomb

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Special Forces, son.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like Jax and/or Stryker have to be in the game, or else the Special Forces faction will seem kind of dumb with only Cassie Cage in it. It seems like most of the character announcements they're going for are the fantastical characters to wow people with, so we'll have to see closer to release which regular-ass humans are in the game.

Hell, they haven't even confirmed Liu Kang.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Doesn't he die at the end of MK9? Burned to a crisp and all?

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#13  Edited By Danteveli

@bisonhero: Doesn't he die at the end of MK9? Burned to a crisp and all?

This wasn't a problem with Kitana.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I've never played MK consistently, but the ninjas are drawing me right now (Smoke and Sub-Zero). I may be pulled to special forces if their zoning draws me to main one of them instead... But come one... Ninjas!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Special Forces because Stryker will be in it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fredchuckdave

This idea kind of defeats the purpose of the factions as @csl316 commented on in the QL. Also everyone is going to pick Lin Kuei or Special Forces.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'll be the weirdo who says Brotherhood of Shadow. Quan Chi and Shinnok get a bad rap.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

@silver-streak: From that video and the stream last month, I gleaned that each faction will have unique cross-character fatalities and additional leveling rewards. Might be a decent idea to include information in the OP as they show off more of that stuff. Right now I think we're all just voting on what sounds cool conceptually.

As for myself, I am 100 % for the Ninja Factory. More than half my favourite MK characters are ninjas, so it's to be expected. Good ninjas, evil ninjas, just lay on the damn ninjas. I think the White Lotus Society sounds pretty neat, though, as I've really come around on Raiden post MK9 story-wise. They did a good job of representing him as a flawed person/godlike entity just trying to do the right thing, and not always succeeding. Though he's still an ass with his constant zipping around.

I am really not big on the idea of the Special Forces as I think all their unique fatalities are likely to be laser-beams or machine guns, which is about as bland as you can get when the subject is abundant overkill. You may not be particularly fond of ninjas, but you've got to admit, they sure can kill people in spectacular ways.

The idea of the entire site pitching in for a single faction is fantastic, though, I'll play nice and join the rest of you guys in what you decide.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

As a fan of Ninjas, both human and cyborg, I'm going to have to go with Lin Kuei... which I assume literally everyone else will pick for the same reason.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Lin Kuei will be filled with angry teenagers and the Shaolin good guy one will be loaded with carebear tweens.

Brotherhood of the Shadow is a vote for Quan Chi and thus a vote for defeat.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I voted for Lin Kuei mostly because most of the characters that I enjoy playing fall into that camp.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By KaneRobot

I tuned out after "Kano is lame."

Black Dragon. As an alternate, Brotherhood of Shadow. Screw Lin Kuei. Most boring answer and will be filled with nearly every random shit-talking racist idiot that owns the game.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm probably going to choose the White Lotus. I always enjoyed Raiden.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lin kuei fo life son screw everything and everyone esle specially scorpion i hate his ass so much

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

wow wow wow wow wow

Kano is lame?

*You're* lame. Baby.
*You're* lame. Baby.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

There is only one faction and that is the mother fuckin Lin Quei.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Silver-Streak

@kanerobot: @geraltitude: I feel like Kano is always a weak-willed opportunist. That said, the rest of the Black Dragon members have been decently rad.

@darkvare: @do_the_manta_ray: @hurricaneivan29: @sackmanjones: Keep in mind, unless Netherrealm does some severe story shenanigans, Scorpion, Cyborg Sub-Zero (Younger Sub-Zero/Kuai Liang), Cyrax, and Smoke are all not part of the Lin Kuei, as Scorpion was never Lin Kuei, and the rest defected. That means the only Lin Kuei Ninjas would be Sub-Zero(supposedly Bi Han/Noob Saibot again), the generic Cyborg Ninjas, and Sektor.

To clear up any confusion, Ninjas are awesome, and Ermac is my favorite MK character.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silver-streak: huh... welp, I'm just gonna find my favorite characters, let Giant Bomb slightly factor which faction I choose, and that'll be that! I really like the idea of smoke and noob saibot... Kung Lao's reveal video was really sick, though, too! AGHHHH I JUST DON'T KNOW!

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Silver-Streak

@hurricaneivan29: Yeah, I'm with you. Ermac is great, but it sounds like he's being taken over by Shao Khan's soul, so he'll likely be evil and aligned with the Brotherhood or someone. So I'll stick with whatever GB does, probably.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I'm just tickled to find out how many Stryker fans there are on GB. He's my favorite.
I will protest the aspersion that Kano is lame however. Guy's the ultimate survivor.
I'm normally antisocial, but I think choosing a GB Prime faction sounds awesome, so I'll play with whatever team gets picked. I'm gonna vote Black Dragon though, just to make up for the Kano crack.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ill definitely be going with Lin Kuei

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mortuss_zero@entreri10: I respect your choices, but am wondering if you've voted yet? For some reason the vote count hasn't increased since earlier today.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why don't you have multiple Official Giant Bomb factions?

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mortuss_Zero

@silver-streak: I definitely voted for the Black Dragon, and it acted like it recorded the vote. I couldn't see the numbers before i voted though, so there's no way for me to know if they changed.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Silver-Streak

@blu3v3nom07: I could see us ending up with two factions to not too heavily overload a single faction and never have a challenge. But the point of having an official faction is so we can all combine our might and bring death to the opposition. I think?

@mortuss_zero: @entreri10: Looks like the number updates were way delayed, they're showing now (assuming that it wasn't other people voting.)

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By hassun

GB should totally be Brotherhood of Shadow. That would be hilarious.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well on the podcast, Brad said he may roll Black dragon, Ryckert said he'd roll Special Forces, and Jeff's going Lin kuei

KirillOrlov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I'm at work and haven't had a chance to listen to all of the bombcast nor watch the video posted above. Are the factions cross platform and we can see all the ranking/stats on a website or do we all need to get the same copy of the game?

Also went with Lin Kuei, I like ninjas and cyborgs. But I'll join which ever faction the GB community decides on.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Special Forces, and Stryker better be in this.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#42  Edited By Y2Ken

@kirillorlov: Yes, they said on the bombcast that factions would be cross-platform.

I can't help but feel like we'd be doing the site a disservice to align with anything other than the Brotherhood of Shadow. But if we're going to take this "seriously", then... uh... I dunno to be honest. All the groups are kinda shitty in their own ways. Maybe Special Forces or White Lotus? I don't know. VOTE SHINNOK, I guess.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smoke and Noob are both Brotherhood of Shadow, so I'm going with them.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Lin Kuei

And is Scorpion a lone wolf?

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for Lin Kuei, but have changed my mind to go with Special Forces.

SquidKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, my choice is squarely in last place, so maybe I'm going to be anti-Bomb.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

White Lotus 4lyf.

Badass Kung Fu Monks >>>> Ninja all day erryday.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

On the one hand, I can not, not pick Ninjas and Cyborg Ninjas when the alternative is some lame death cult, some army dudes, organized crime or even semi-badass monks.

On the other hand, for those reasons, it IS the most obvious answer that I feel the most people will gravitate towards, making it pretty boring.

The idea that GB would side with Brotherhood of Shadow though is both funny, and the faction feels like kind of a dark horse. So I'm gonna go with that.