• 87 results
Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Edited By Bwast

If you are going to share a Youtube video, please hyperlink it instead of embedding. Too many embedded Youtube videos can destroy browsers.

2013 is here and with it comes sonic pleasures... or something. I'd like this to be the spot for all of Giant Bomb's denizens to discuss this years' metal offerings. Here I'll keep an updated(I'm thinking every 7-10 days) list of the stuff that I like and you can put the stuff you like the comments(and after that we can go to my house and play trucks if you want). This won't be exclusive to LPs - I'll list EPs and splits if they're cool. No singles, singles are useless. OPINIONS. Anyway, here's my list:

NEW

(split)Dodsengel/Nightbringer - Circumambulations of the Solar Inferno (black metal) | BC

Black Metal

Monarque - Lys Noir | CD

Lychgate - Lychgate | BC

(EP)Riul Doamnei - A Christmas Carol | Free from their website!

Thorngoth - Schwarz-Karg-Kalt | Amazon MP3/CD

Chaos Invocation - Black Mirror Hours | CD

(EP)Arescet - The Crackling of Embers | BC

(EP)Kozeljnik - Null: The Acheron of Multiform Negation | BC

Černá - Restoring Life | BC

Death Metal

Necroblation - Ablation of Death | BC

Ade - Spartacus | BC

(EP)Pyrithion - The Burden of Sorrow | CD

(EP)Brutality - Ruins of Humans | Amazon MP3/CD

Defeated Sanity - Passages Into Deformity | BC

Suffocation - Pinnacle of Bedlam | Amazon MP3/iTunes

In Vain - Ænigma | Amazon MP3/Klicktrack

Doom/Stoner/Sludge

Entropia - Vesper | BC

Steak Number Eight - The Hutch | Amazon MP3/Klicktrack

Inter Arma - Sky Burial | BC

Church of Misery - Thy Kingdom Scum | CD

Whelm - A Gaze Blank and Pitiless as the Sun | BC

The Fall of Every Season - Amends | Amazon MP3/iTunes

Spiritual Beggars - Earth Blues | Amazon MP3/CD

Procession - To Reap Heavens Apart | Amazon MP3/iTunes

Heavy/Progressive

Intronaut - Habitual Levitations (Instilling Words With Tones) | Amazon MP3/CD

Persefone - Spiritual Migration | BC

Warlord - The Holy Empire | Amazon MP3/CD

Satan - Life Sentence | CD

Giant Bomb user AndrewGPM is in Unsacred Seed. Check our their debut album here.

I've been waiting for The Fall of Every Season to do something new for years. His first album From Below is quite different from the new one but if you like gloomy death/doom, check it out, it's amazing.

I'd also like to highlight a band by the name of Howling. They put an album out in 2013. It's decent but not really remarkable. Why am I talking about them then? Their logo is best thing I've ever seen. Look at this fucking thing:

If I were to ever get a tattoo, this would be it. Fucking glorious.
If I were to ever get a tattoo, this would be it. Fucking glorious.

The album art for A Beast Conceived is pretty great too but it's NSFW. BOOBIES!

Go forth and listen!

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

That logo reminded me of Hooded Menace's logo. Ex-Acid Witch dudes, great band, and the logo is amazing:

No Caption Provided

Anyways, is the new Intronaut really any good? Never listened to 'em, but the hype is there... just a blindspot I guess. In Vain sounds really familiar, but I was actually thinking of Ne Obliviscaris (for whatever reason) after a quick MA search. Prog metal just totally left my brain space, though. I was way into Opeth and Dream Theater for the longest time, still love both bands, but never really expanded out of that pair.

Lately I've mostly been digging the new Defeated Sanity and trying to figure out if it's better than Psalms or Chapters. Fucking good record, but I've only heard it a few times on spotify because I'm super poor right now and GameFly + Amazon PC deals are not helping. If you're at all into brutal death metal, or death metal at all, I highly recommend Psalms of the Moribund and Chapters of Repugnance (ignore their first as it's pretty generic Euro BDM).

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have noted your opinion on singles and now I will completely disregard it and say Dillinger Escape Plans new single is my favorite thing I've heard so far this year.

Loading Video...

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By csl316

The new Suffocation album's pretty cool. And surprisingly, Soilwork's double album turned out to be quite alright. Just started digging into Cult of Luna's new one and so far so good.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Slay3r1583

I've never heard of them before but that Intronaut song was pretty good. I think I'm going to have to hit up Amazon and get a couple of their albums.

My favorite cds from this year so far are Straight Out of Hell by Helloween, Ride the Void by Holy Grail, and The Divinity of Purpose by Hatebreed.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zella

Just picked up Habitual Levitations a couple days ago, pretty much everything I was expecting from intronaut. Find the vocals are cleaner in this album compared to Valley of Smoke, not a bad thing though. Haven`t heard of the other bands you mentioned, check out In Vain and will probably get some of their stuff.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: Haven't heard the new Suffocation yet. Good buzz surrounding it, I'm looking forward to it. I thought Vertikal was alright, something was missing for me. Most people seem to be really digging it though.

@siroptimusprime: Acid Witch never really clicked with me but I'll check them out. Great logo.

I like the new Intronaut. I've never heard any of their previous stuff so I have idea how it compares but I like it. You'd probably like that new The Fall of Every Season album - it's very similar to Opeth. When he sings clean he sounds almost identical to Mikael.

See, I knew I'd forget something. Yeah, Passages is really good. I have Psalms of the Moribund and Prelude to the Tragedy. Psalms is a fucking monster album. Don't think I ever heard Chapters of Repugnance.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Few bands put so much work into their name logo like metal bands. It's a goofy thing that I love about metal. Honestly, I would be satisfied with 2013 metal if Mastodon finishes and released their album by the end of the year.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zella

@mariachimacabre said:

Few bands put so much work into their name logo like metal bands. It's a goofy thing that I love about metal. Honestly, I would be satisfied with 2013 metal if Mastodon finishes and released their album by the end of the year.

For some bands that is totally true, for others...

No Caption Provided

Would love a new Mastodon record as well though it seems unsure whether or not they plan to record this year or continue touring. I am also awaiting the next Tool album but god knows when that is gonna come out with how media shy the band is and the few things they have said seem to contradict each other. Red Fang is supposed to release a new album this fall so there`s one more too look forward to.

When it comes to obscure bands one of my favourites has to be Black Moor, heavily influenced by Iron Maiden but with a thrashy harshness thrown in.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I've been kind of out of the metal loop so far this year, but the new Defeated Sanity and Suffocation albums are the jaaaaaaams.

I know Immolation has an album coming out this year, I'm excited for that.

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been kind of out of the metal loop so far this year, but the new Defeated Sanity and Suffocation albums are the jaaaaaaams.

I know Immolation has an album coming out this year, I'm excited for that.

Ye i have been out of it pretty hard for awhile too, just listened to the new Soilwork its a beast of an album!

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By EVO

Haha that pic is spot on.

scalpel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By scalpel

The new Soilwork double album is pretty good.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread somehow made me jump back on the metal train after a year of absence and I've been rocking live concerts on Youtube all day

@bwast: thanks brah

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Nekroskop

Don't forget to listen to Kvelertak's sophomore album on Monday. It's already on spotify here and it's pretty good, you guys.

drshilliams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By drshilliams

Not kept up with many 2013 releases, the last metal (kind of) album I enjoyed was Murder Construct from last year. Giving the lastest Intronaut album a spin now.

Loading Video...
dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By dichemstys

The new Defeated Sanity is so damn good.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bwast

I got that new Suffocation album yesterday. Easily their best since Souls to Deny maybe even their best since the comeback in 2002. Recommended to anyone who likes DM.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Marcsman

Nonpoint & Device

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By AssInAss

Is it just me who can't handle the growls in death metal? I just can't handle the vocals but can still respect how far they're willing to destroy their vocal cords. I'm fine with every other type of metal. What is "black metal" btw?

What are some good instrumental death metal bands?

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bwast

@assinass: Black metal takes elements from thrash and speed metal. Play really fast, shriek, and have lyrics about winter or God/religion. That's the basics of it. There's a whole backstory of its infancy in Norway with church burnings and murder and shit. There are documentaries about it if you're interested. Until the Light Takes Us(I think it's on Netflix) and Black Metal Satanica.

Death metal by definition has growling, I don't think it's possible for an instrumental metal band to be classified as death metal. But that's just, like, my opinion, man. Here a few heavier instrumental metal bands:

Bongripper

Sleep Terror

Blotted Science

Laiv162560asse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Laiv162560asse

@assinass@bwast Speed isn't really a big characteristic of black metal. There's less emphasis on speed than there is in death metal, especially among the slower Burzum-inspired 'depressive' and midpaced Bathory-thrash-inspired BM bands. I think it's more defined by high-register shrieking (as opposed to growling), emphasis on atmosphere, riffs often based around minor chord progressions, lo-fi production, repetitious structure and minimalism (except in symphonic BM), and themes based on philosophy, religion, nature and existentialism. Contrast to death metal where there's usually more low-register stuff like growling and prominent bass, unpredictable structures and tempo, complex time signatures, single note riffing and lots of palm-muting, emphasis on technicality, and lyrics which can pretty much be about anything although usually with some kind of morbid slant. As for that BM docu I think one of the top comments sums it up.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@bwast said:

@assinass: Black metal takes elements from thrash and speed metal. Play really fast, shriek, and have lyrics about winter or God/religion. That's the basics of it. There's a whole backstory of its infancy in Norway with church burnings and murder and shit. There are documentaries about it if you're interested. Until the Light Takes Us(I think it's on Netflix) and Black Metal Satanica.

Death metal by definition has growling, I don't think it's possible for an instrumental metal band to be classified as death metal. But that's just, like, my opinion, man. Here a few heavier instrumental metal bands:

Bongripper

Sleep Terror

Blotted Science

Great comment, helps a lot! I remember hearing about that documentary, might have to check it out.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laivasse: Speed is absolutely a big part of black metal. If you go to the store and pick up any random BM, you will probably hear blast beats. You can argue that it's not an important part but it is a big part.

And yeah, all BM docs are really rough. Until the Light Takes Us is at least somewhat compelling. In the end the doc is Varg's platform for his ideology but it does give a good history of the music's time in Norway. I just thought watching a movie would be more preferable than reading some internet page or a book.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bwast

I've decided to just make this a blog for the entire year rather than 4 separate ones. I'll keep adding releases I think are cool and you can come here and do the same. Or don't, see if I care. Wait, no, come back, I was kidding!

I added 2 new things, check them out SUCKAZ!

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bwast: That Intronaut album has been my jam so far, thanks. You should add the new Clutch album, just a suggestion.

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just got the new intronaut and really like it quite a bit. Also, there is new killswitch engage if your into metalcore. One band that deserves mention is portal's vexavoid, which is sort of black metalish. That album actually made me physically uncomfortable and is recommended if you want a visceral experience.

Loading Video...

I really love the new byzantine album. They are sort of like lamb of god style thrash/groove and their new album is surprisingly diverse and well written.

Loading Video...

check this out if you like progressive metal or djent. They are a little known russian band. Album is very diverse and goes through a wide range of styles.

Loading Video...

French band sounds like a mixture of ulcerate, dethspell omega and gojira. But very compelling if your into stuff a bit unconventional.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bwast

Just added 2 more releases. Check em out!

So happy Brutality is back. If you've never heard of them, I highly recommend you check out Screams of Anguish - it's one of my all time favorite death metal albums.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't listen to much metal as I did years back, but I'll dive in every now and again when I hear something refreshing and different. Here are a few picks:

Nails - Abandon All Life (2013): What barbarians jam to when casting whirlwind.

Bell Witch - Longing (November 2012): Sludge-metal pace, heavy, but more folky. Best way to describe it is camp-fire metal.

Bongripper - Bongripper // Hate Split LP (2013): Still great stuff, but Satan Worshiping Doom is still one of the best metal LPs I have ever heard in ages. A classic that is always nice to fall back to (Satan track is king).

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jrinswand

Why is nobody talking about Darkthrone? D:

I was really surprised by this one. Considering their last few albums (which were still totally awesome, btw), that's saying a lot. Check it out:

Loading Video...

That's the only release this year that I've really cared about. I'm fucking psyched about Summoning's new album, Old Mornings Dawn, though. It'll be the first Summoning record in like 7 years!

Edit: Apparently, the last Devin Townsend Project album is coming out this year as well. There's no telling what kind of music that will be, though.

AndrewGPM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's the only release this year that I've really cared about. I'm fucking psyched about Summoning's new album, Old Mornings Dawn, though. It'll be the first Summoning record in like 7 years!

Edit: Apparently, the last Devin Townsend Project album is coming out this year as well. There's no telling what kind of music that will be, though.

Loading Video...

A rerelease Summoning album could be amazing. I love the cheesy samples and all

Loading Video...

Thanks to Bwast for posting our stuff. A GB user has already supported us! Just put out our 2013 debut, lots of riffs and solos! http://unsacredseed.bandcamp.com/

Also, I can't wait for new Devin Townsend! His last collaboration with Ihsahn was amazing.

Laiv162560asse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Laiv162560asse

Unless Absu or Inquisition put out something soon, the new Peste Noire is the only thing that can redeem this year for me.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bwast

I've added 2 new releases for you guys to check out.

Pyrithion is the side project of Tim Lambesis, vocalist of As I Lay Dying. I'm not a fan of AILD but this EP is pretty good. He does utilize "core" vocals in spots so if you don't like that, you probably won't like this. I'm interested to see what an album by them will look like.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bwast

There's a new album for you guys to check out. My only gripes are the songwriting is pretty stale and it's a little long. But I really like it, one of my favorites so far this year.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By AlexW00d

The new Cult of Luna is the only 'metal' release I have even bothered with this year, but that's 'cause it's Cult of Luna, why would I not bother?

E: I should probably add a video for those unknowing.

Loading Video...

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bwast

@alexw00d: You might like that new album I posted, Steak Number 8 are similar to Cult of Luna.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

While I am more punk/hardcore than metal nowadays, some stuff that I have been loving this year is Nails' Abandon All Life, makes me wanna listen to Nasum later. I also been liking Baptists' Bushcraft and Old Wounds' From Where We Came Is Where We’ll Rest even if they are more towards the hardcore specturm of metalcore anyways. Oh yeah also Portal's new joint.

Oh yeah my username came out of listening to Intronaut's The Challenger and Pig Destroyer's Phantom Limb at the time. I gotta listen to Intronaut's new shit later.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Added a new album. I couldn't find the track I wanted on Youtube so I linked their Bandcamp. I recommend tracks 1, 2, 3, 6, and 8.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bwast

I added a new EP. Dickens' famous tale made into a great 36 minute song. At first I thought it was a strange concept for an extreme metal band to do but the more I thought about it, the better I liked it. A Christmas Carol is deceptively dark "Every idiot who goes about with 'Merry Christmas' on his lips, should be boiled with his own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly through his heart. He should!" so it actually works decently well. I will say that it's really weird that this is a March release.

If you like what you hear, I highly recommend the rest of Riul Doamnei's discography.

CashBailey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CashBailey

@jrinswand said:

I know he has 'Ziltoid 2' and a project called 'Casualties'. Not to mention the sure-to-be-mindblowing 'Retinal Circus' live package.

Did you see this video? A six-minute montage of demos from all the projects he has coming up. Awesome!

Loading Video...

Devin Townsend is so far and away the greatest musician on the planet.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I added a new album. Linked to their Bandcamp. My favorite tracks are 1,3,7,8 and 9. Enjoy!

AndrewGPM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

New Battlesoul album is out in June. "Tir No Nog." Going to be some epic stuff!

They can be classified as folk/symphonic/thrash metal. I am also featured on the album! Doing a guest guitar solo and group vocals.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Bwast

New album is up. Very similar to Nile but instead of Ancient Egypt, they yell about Ancient Rome. The comparison is even more apt given that the Greek god himself, George Kollias, did guest drums for the album. Enjoy!

I've also put links at the end of every release, just to make it easier for you guys to buy if you like what you hear. Support what you like!

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By stubbleman

Lunarsea's newest album just came out, and it's pretty decent. They're kind of a lesser-known band from Italy. I'm a big fan of their first two albums, and I'm just happy to see they're still around. Give them a listen. See if you like them.

Loading Video...

Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Blannir

Didn't know Intronaut had a new album out, definitely gonna have to pick that up.

Didn't come out this year, but a friend told me about the band Art By Numbers the other day and I've been hooked since.

Loading Video...

Gnorbooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#46  Edited By Gnorbooth

I have to agree with others on new Intronaut and Cult of Luna being amazing records. And HevyDevy is always a treat. Can't wait for everything he has coming up.

TesseracT's new album drops this week I believe (the 27th?) and is a killer record for any atmospheric djent heads, and is being streamed in it's entirety on youtube.

New Scale The Summit is out in a couple of weeks and their new track smokes as always for you instrumental peeps.

Loading Video...

New Deafheaven is streaming, and is one hell of record. Like, shit son.

Loading Video...

Oh, and let's not forget about Jolly. For anybody into the more progressive side of things, they'll take care of you.

Loading Video...

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ShockD

I am disturbed by the lack of industrial, cyber and melodic death metal in this thread.

Anyhow, here's a fresh one. Probably too soft for you, but I prefer cleaner vocals so save me the rebuke.

Loading Video...

phrosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@shockd: Melodic Death you say? Because Dark Tranquillity has a new CD out.

Loading Video...

Also those Russian guys from Digimortal sound kind of neat. That song is hell of catchy. Also there are bits in that song that remind me of Machinae Supremacy in a way. I will have to investigate further.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shockd: FUCK YOU THAT ISN'T TRUE METAL! I KNOW BECAUSE I LISTENED TO MASTER OF PUPPETS 666 TIMES ONE SUMMER!

Naw dude, all metal is welcome here, even if I don't like it. I don't know where you got the idea that I was going to criticize you for it but it's not true!

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phrosen: Digimortal probably remind you of Machinae Supremacy because of the trance-like keyboard they use. Can't deny the amazing electronic flavor they add to their music. I can at least recommend you something similar from the same country:

Loading Video...

Dark Tranquillity sounds pretty nice too. I'm somewhat new to Melodic Death but I really like it; do you have any names to recommend apart from the usual pioneers of the genre which everybody knows?