A Perfect Getaway - Worth Seeing?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

I just recently found out that the upcoming thriller-that-looks-like-every-other-one-that-comes-out-once-a-month-at-least A Perfect Getaway is directed by a dood I have some respect for, David Twohy.  He's the director of both Riddick movies, The Arrival, and an underrated movie called Below that I was extremely fond of. 

The flick has Steve Zahn, who I'm also a big fan of (ever since I first saw him in Suburbia). 

Here's the other thing:  while the Rotten Tomatoes score for the flick is at 47%, the Top Critics is at 75%!!!  It's kind of a backwards situation that rarely occurs on RT. 

Therefore, I'm posing the question:  could this movie actually not suck?  Could it be a decent bit of fun at the theatres?  I mean, we rarely find a decent movie coming out of these "once a month thrillers".  I enjoyed The Descent for what it was worth, and I even found an interesting watch out of Wolf Creek. 

So what say you, Giant Bomb?  Let's see what the general consensus of preliminary thought is on A Perfect Getaway. 

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Seedofpower

Meh... I'm not going to see it.
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By FunExplosions

im assuming steve zahn's character has a twin or something. not planning on seein this.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jakob187

Did you guys read ANYTHING that I wrote?

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Akeldama

it looks like as far as popcorn movies go, you could do much worse.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kmdrkul

The only reason I would see that movie is because of Milla Jovovich.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EvilTwin

I saw the trailer when I went to see Funny People, and was somewhat interested.  Mostly because of the bait-and-switch tone of the trailer.  I really couldn't follow how many people/families there were, and what was going on, but, who knows?  I liked the Riddick movies as well, so it's something to look out for.

bulletbeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bulletbeast

meh, looks ok but its really just another cheap horror film. if u realy wanna c a brilliant film along the same lines as this one watch "The Beach" with leonardo di caprio, its a brilliant film
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jakob187
@bulletbeast said:
" meh, looks ok but its really just another cheap horror film. if u realy wanna c a brilliant film along the same lines as this one watch "The Beach" with leonardo di caprio, its a brilliant film "
The Beach?  A horror film?  REALLY?  /facepalm 

Nonetheless, this movie is still holding strong amongst the Top Critics, while the lesser knowns are being pricks about it still.  I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go check it out, because...well, fuck...why not?  I didn't want to see Drag Me To Hell until my brother said we should go see it, and look how that turned out for me (I loved the movie...both times).
Avatar image for deactivated-5d99c8cd85096
deactivated-5d99c8cd85096

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saw it before seeing Funny People. It was pretty confusing, and not in the usual way. The movie knows that you are going to guess the twist 10 minutes in, but the minute the twist hits, instead of doing what most movies do, which is coast to the end, the movie kicks it into high gear and becomes a really good movie. 

First and Second Act: 6/10
Third Act: 8/10

Just rent it, get drunk, and enjoy it with some pals.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jakob187

Alright, so I'm assuming that the trailer pretty much sets up the twist for you...which I'm hoping isn't the scenario.  My buddy was saying that he thought he pretty much figured the twist out, but I kept thinking "dood, David Twohy would try to make you think that and then pull some kind of crazy ass left-field bullshit with you". 

See, if anyone has seen Below, they know that David Twohy has a pretty interesting way of doing horror-style movies.  Below was a genuinely creepy movie that deserved far more attention than it got.  That's why I have confidence that this could actually not suck. 

It's good to hear your words on the movie, though, Zom.  I'll definitely have to check it out now.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By CL60
@Zombutler said:
" Saw it before seeing Funny People. It was pretty confusing, and not in the usual way. The movie knows that you are going to guess the twist 10 minutes in, but the minute the twist hits, instead of doing what most movies do, which is coast to the end, the movie kicks it into high gear and becomes a really good movie.   First and Second Act: 6/10 Third Act: 8/10  Just rent it, get drunk, and enjoy it with some pals. "
What's the twist? PM it to me.
HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By HairyMike87

Looks lame.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#14  Edited By citizenkane

Meh, I'll see it when it comes to DVD.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jakob187
@CL60 said:
" @Zombutler said:
" Saw it before seeing Funny People. It was pretty confusing, and not in the usual way. The movie knows that you are going to guess the twist 10 minutes in, but the minute the twist hits, instead of doing what most movies do, which is coast to the end, the movie kicks it into high gear and becomes a really good movie.   First and Second Act: 6/10 Third Act: 8/10  Just rent it, get drunk, and enjoy it with some pals. "
What's the twist? PM it to me. "
I went to Wikipedia, and it's got the entire thing laid out like a Thanksgiving dinner.  Personally, I don't care if movies get spoiled for me (unless it's just a REALLY good spoiler).  This one seems fun and nifty.  Actually, after reading the Wikipedia page for it, I've gotta say...I'm really psyched to go check this out.
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By ZombiePie

It unfortunate that Steve Zahn has been typecast as the goofy comic relief buddy because he's actually proven himself to be a more than competent non-comedy actor. I really like his performance in Rescue Dawn. I may see the film but I'm just a little busy right now

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jakob187
@ZombiePie said:
" It unfortunate that Steve Zahn has been typecast as the goofy comic relief buddy because he's actually proven himself to be a more than competent non-comedy actor. I really like his performance in Rescue Dawn. I may see the film but I'm just a little busy right now "
From what I read...that is DEFINITELY not Steve Zahn in this flick.
fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By fr0br0

Director of BOTH Riddick movies? You had me at Riddick, but lost me at both. So technically you never had me. 

I usually don't go for movies that try to advertise the twist. A good twist comes unpredicted, not advertised. For recent examples, Vantage Point and The Happening. Both of these movies sucked and the "mind blowing twist" didn't do anything for me.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By ZombiePie
@jakob187: Well he plays the male lead so for once he's not the sidekick in this film, so I guess I'm interested. Thing is I'm afraid of blood and gore...I'm terribly squeamish, I have trouble playing God of War and Gears of War. I guess I'll bring a hat if I see the film.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ryanwho

If you ask me that's the opposite of a perfect getaway.
Man whoever sparked those stones together deserves a raise. No wonder Top Critics loved it.