Anime Megathread III and Cartoon Megathread I!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

@fallen189 said:

I did my thesis on Ghost in the Shell and Akira

You went with the cliche :(? You couldn't have done your thesis on Urotsukidouji? (I only bring this up because I know such an academic article exists.)

I had a year to do it and I did it in 4 weeks, so I kinda went with the easier pull. Plus I love GitS and Akira so much. But hey, I also talked a LOT about Serial Experiments Lain in there aswell!

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Kill la Kill only has a few episodes left, but the switches keep on coming.

I want to post an image, but I can't figure out how to put it under spoiler tags. It keeps getting uploaded to the top of the post.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Samurai Flamenco managed to tie everything together in a way that was quite fitting. There are still four episodes left, so it'll be interesting to see how they bring it to an end.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kill la Kill still manages to keep me thoroughly entertained and eager for the next episode, c'mon the next episodes gonna be Kiryuin wearing Senketsu vs Ryuko wearing Junketsu....its like the best fan fic turned real, someone at Trigger is reading fan predictions and using them for the show....they have to be. Just hope they dont do what i think they are going to do in the next episode. I only wish my friends could see past all the fan service to watch this amazing show though.

And then there is Samura Flamenco, went through 5 episodes so now im caught up and all i can say is WHAT THE FUCK. Flamenco Girls have a three some, Prime Minister is a bad guy for like one episode with a robot suit, SPACE FLAMENCO......fights on the moon, Hazama talking with God and having his wishes granted. Somehow you made this make sense somehow...And it feels right. Good job on that one

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@golguin:

My strategy has been this:

1. Create three lines, usually by typing a junk character on three lines and then deleting said junk characters.
  2. Go to the middle line.
  3. Hit the spoiler button.
  4. Your cursor still in there, upload the damn image.
  5. Alternatively, you could just upload the image and spoiler block. However, this method works better, and those junk lines should at least make it a little easier.

For example:

I HAVE PREDICTED YOUR RESPONSE!

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin:

My strategy has been this:

1. Create three lines, usually by typing a junk character on three lines and then deleting said junk characters.
  2. Go to the middle line.
  3. Hit the spoiler button.
  4. Your cursor still in there, upload the damn image.
  5. Alternatively, you could just upload the image and spoiler block. However, this method works better, and those junk lines should at least make it a little easier.

For example:

Lets test this out then.

No Caption Provided

xxx

And then there. Looks like it works. Super Spoiler Kill la Kill image. CLICK IT!!!!!!!!!

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

*Proceeds to watch the last 7 episodes of KILL la KILL*

"What was the last thing that happened last time? Ah, Senketsu was cut into pieces and there was some inter school battle thing. This is gonna be fun. I mean this show was pretty rad so far, so there's no need for me to doubt it will be different, right?"

*Finishes watching them*

DUDE...
DUDE...

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*Proceeds to watch the last 7 episodes of KILL la KILL*

"What was the last thing that happened last time? Ah, Senketsu was cut into pieces and there was some inter school battle thing. This is gonna be fun. I mean this show was pretty rad so far, so there's no need for me to doubt it will be different, right?"

*Finishes watching them*

DUDE...
DUDE...

I assume your mind was blown in a good way right? It is the hypest show in a long time.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#1209  Edited By penguindust

I've been reading Nisekoi and adore it so far. I am about 50 chapters into it but took a break to read Magico. Anyway, I was just wondering what folks thought of the Nisekoi anime. I rarely watch shows until they are over, so I haven't had the chance to check it out yet. Since "the book was better" critique often applies, I was curious to hear if I should expect much.

Also, what's funny this season?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any word yet on why the newest Space Dandy has such a softer art style compared to previous episodes? I'm assuming there's a different director or something like that?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1211  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@penguindust said:

I've been reading Nisekoi and adore it so far. I am about 50 chapters into it but took a break to read Magico. Anyway, I was just wondering what folks thought of the Nisekoi anime. I rarely watch shows until they are over, so I haven't had the chance to check it out yet. Since "the book was better" critique often applies, I was curious to hear if I should expect much.

I only watched the first episode, but it seems pretty damn good and faithful. I can't imagine them deviating from the manga in any major way in later episodes, but then again, all I saw was the first episode so take that for what you will.

As for other funny stuff, I think Witchcraft Works has quite a few hilarious moments. Overall, it's not anything particularly special, but it's a nice, pleasant watch at the very least. I'm personally enjoying the hell out of it though. I would recommend Zvezda, but I dunno. I don't think these past 2-3 episodes were as good as the first few. A lot of the time, I'm watching without ever cracking a smile and I'm not sure if it's just not funny, if I'm just completely missing the joke, or what. Space Dandy is probably the best, most consistent comedy this season because it's just so fucking dumb in the best way possible. Your mileage may vary though since it seems like a very love it or hate it type of show.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexandersheen: @golguin: Satsuki is amazing, this is what I have learned from Kill la kill. There was so much in the second season that was obvious but it was all the little twists and turns they put into it that blew me away, my god. One of the recent episode had me audibly freaking out, I dont think I have ever done that before. How did it feel to marathon ALL of that insanity?

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

I assume your mind was blown in a good way right? It is the hypest show in a long time.

Fuck yeah it is! Even if I saw half of the twists coming, the other half blew me away in a big way. I watched the whole show in like 7 episode big chunks and right now I don't know if that made me enjoy it more, considering the condensity, or it would not have made any difference if I had to nail bitingly wait for the next episode. Either way, now I'm glued to this fucking thing! I'M PUMPED AS HELL!

@super2j said:

@alexandersheen:Satsuki is amazing, this is what I have learned from Kill la kill. There was so much in the second season that was obvious but it was all the little twists and turns they put into it that blew me away, my god. One of the recent episode had me audibly freaking out, I dont think I have ever done that before. How did it feel to marathon ALL of that insanity?

It was fulfilling. The plot is not that hard to follow if you pay attention (that's how you can anticipate twists and find plotholes like how come Nui can regenerate herself after she was stabbed with the Scissor sword but couldn't heal her eye which was cut with the same sword) but emotionally it can be a little tiring.

Also, I like Satsuki more than Ryuuko. Not just because she is better looking (I have a thing for anime girls with bushy eyebrows. It's cute, okay?! Don't judge me!) but because she is the most badass motherfucker in that show.

Also also, what the fuck Ryuuko? You are throwing away your best bud Senketsu just because you had a bad day? The face that he made when she told him to fuck off was heartbreaking. Poor dude. I'm glad Satsuki came in and said: "Bitches be crazy, man. Don't let that bring you down, bro. Let's bounce."

I'm calm now.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

Fuck yeah it is! Even if I saw half of the twists coming, the other half blew me away in a big way. I watched the whole show in like 7 episode big chunks and right now I don't know if that made me enjoy it more, considering the condensity, or it would not have made any difference if I had to nail bitingly wait for the next episode. Either way, now I'm glued to this fucking thing! I'M PUMPED AS HELL!

@super2j said:

@alexandersheen:Satsuki is amazing, this is what I have learned from Kill la kill. There was so much in the second season that was obvious but it was all the little twists and turns they put into it that blew me away, my god. One of the recent episode had me audibly freaking out, I dont think I have ever done that before. How did it feel to marathon ALL of that insanity?

It was fulfilling. The plot is not that hard to follow if you pay attention (that's how you can anticipate twists and find plotholes like how come Nui can regenerate herself after she was stabbed with the Scissor sword but couldn't heal her eye which was cut with the same sword) but emotionally it can be a little tiring.

Also, I like Satsuki more than Ryuuko. Not just because she is better looking (I have a thing for anime girls with bushy eyebrows. It's cute, okay?! Don't judge me!) but because she is the most badass motherfucker in that show.

Also also, what the fuck Ryuuko? You are throwing away your best bud Senketsu just because you had a bad day? The face that he made when she told him to fuck off was heartbreaking. Poor dude. I'm glad Satsuki came in and said: "Bitches be crazy, man. Don't let that bring you down, bro. Let's bounce."

I'm calm now.

It's not so much regeneration as life fiber stitching. Ragyo doesn't regenerate...she reattaches her head and her hand. Nui had her eye cut out and it was probably destroyed. Can't reattach that.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1215  Edited By super2j

@alexandersheen said:

@golguin said:

@super2j said:

I'm calm now.

Lol don't worry, I won't be judging you.

Someone put up a good reason as to why it was the right thing for Ryuuko to reject Senketsu. She is a 17 year old girl, and her whole identity and position in life has been destroyed. She will not be mature enough to be logical and will take it out on what she identifies as part of the problem.... like a normal teenager would. It sucks from our perspective, because we know better,damn kids with their ipod and power giving uniforms...

I just love how Satsuki goes about everything, she sits for tea, warns everyone, and then casually goes to get Senketsu. also, her new weapon set up is so cool.

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Any word yet on why the newest Space Dandy has such a softer art style compared to previous episodes? I'm assuming there's a different director or something like that?

Space Dandy has a different writer each episode, and some episodes also have different directors.

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did not read any of the source, but I enjoy the show for what it is. I don't find it great, but it is a enjoyable comedy/romance.

I really enjoy D-Fragments, if were taking about high school life comedies.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I've only read a bit of the first volume, then held off to watch the anime once it was announced. I'm enjoying the anime.

GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@super2j said:

@alexandersheen said:

@golguin said:

@super2j said:

I'm calm now.

Someone put up a good reason as to why it was the right thing for Ryuuko to reject Senketsu. She is a 17 year old girl, and her whole identity and position in life has been destroyed. She will not be mature enough to be logical and will take it out on what she identifies as part of the problem.... like a normal teenager would. It sucks from our perspective, because we know better,damn kids with their ipod and power giving uniforms...

I just love how Satsuki goes about everything, she sits for tea, warns everyone, and then casually goes to get Senketsu. also, her new weapon set up is so cool.

The thing to keep in mind about Ryuko is that she was having a complete psychological breakdown. Her time in Honnouji Academy was the first time in her life that she opened up and made connections with others and, from her point-of-view Nudist Beach (specifically Aikuro Mikisugi) were laughing at her the whole time. From our POV we know that they didn't know the truth about her but, from her POV this was a group that seemed to know everything. Ryuko feels like she's been betrayed by just about everyone and both Ragyo and Nui took advantage of this.

Here's an image from animesuki.

No Caption Provided

Senketsu Points out later in the episode that both he and everyone else were so caught up in the moment that they didn't realize the source of Ruyko's pain until it was too late.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super2j said:

The thing to keep in mind about Ryuko is that she was having a complete psychological breakdown. Her time in Honnouji Academy was the first time in her life that she opened up and made connections with others and, from her point-of-view Nudist Beach (specifically Aikuro Mikisugi) were laughing at her the whole time. From our POV we know that they didn't know the truth about her but, from her POV this was a group that seemed to know everything. Ryuko feels like she's been betrayed by just about everyone and both Ragyo and Nui took advantage of this.

Here's an image from animesuki.

No Caption Provided

Senketsu Points out later in the episode that both he and everyone else were so caught up in the moment that they didn't realize the source of Ruyko's pain until it was too late.

This is a difficult situation. On one hand, she thinks Nudist Beach knew the truth about her all along, even though they opened up to her with telling her the secret behind the Life Fibers and telling her Tsumugu's backstory. Not to mention Ragyou had to use her thread powers to realize the thuth.

On the other hand, she thinks of herself as a monster now, she thinks the people who she met and/or holds dear think the same way and feels out of place among them, even though they tried to convince her of the opposite. Honestly, she should believe in them who believe in her.

In her head, all she had left is taking revenge. This is a difficult situation.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kill la Kill is bordering on Dragonball Z levels of shit not happening.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@recspec said:

Are you kidding? You saw episode 21 and you think nothing happened on Kill la Kill?

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

@recspec said:

Are you kidding? You saw episode 21 and you think nothing happened on Kill la Kill?

Considering that they basically just did Episode 12 again. Yeah, I do.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1225  Edited By GabrielCantor

@rubberluffy: A friend of mine got me to watch this recently and man, I did not expect to love it as much as I did. It was probably the best Shonen thing I've seen since watching Toonami in the 90s/early 2000s. Super excited to watch Part 3 when it starts.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@recspec said:

@golguin said:

@recspec said:

So it's not that shit is not happening, more like the same shit is happening again, right?

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@recspec said:

@golguin said:

@recspec said:

What part of the episode was episode 12?

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1228  Edited By rubberluffy
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Kakyoin and Avdol PVs.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I am so glad I jumped back on the Anime Train for Kill la Kill, Ep. 21 just left me going, "Yoooooooooo.."

Also at some point we're going to space right?

DualFayte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1230  Edited By DualFayte
Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Is that Star Wars: The Clone Wars show any good? Been hearing a ton about it since the last season is out on Netflix?

Also, about how long does it take popular anime (Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill) to get dubbed releases? Wouldn't mind being able to enjoy the art of AoT without having to read text all the time.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1232  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@mendelson9: I enjoyed Clone Wars. It's clearly made for kids so it's so don't expect much depth, but I feel like if you like Star Wars, chances are you can sit down and have a good time. If you don't really give a crap about Star Wars though, I can't imagine this changing anything. It's good, but it ain't that good.

Also this isn't saying much, but it outclasses the prequels in just about every area. If you've ever watched the RedLetterMedia prequel reviews (which you should absolutelygo watch right now if you haven't already), the cartoon manages to avoid pretty much all the important flaws he points out. The most important of which is, in my opinion, in the cartoon Anakin is actually likable and not some whiny annoying asshole like he is in the prequels.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanx said:

I am so glad I jumped back on the Anime Train for Kill la Kill, Ep. 21 just left me going, "Yoooooooooo.."

Of course we are. She just launched the ship in episode 21 so I'm guessing we're going to be fighting Life Fiber planets and galaxies before this thing is done.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

@onemanx said:

Of course we are. She just launched the ship in episode 21 so I'm guessing we're going to be fighting Life Fiber planets and galaxies before this thing is done.

If Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann could be used as an indicator then absolutely. There was an alien drill in the last episode and they got a giant carrier, so it could happen.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1235  Edited By Darji

@mendelson9 said:

Is that Star Wars: The Clone Wars show any good? Been hearing a ton about it since the last season is out on Netflix?

Also, about how long does it take popular anime (Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill) to get dubbed releases? Wouldn't mind being able to enjoy the art of AoT without having to read text all the time.

Stuff like Attack on Titan loses so much emotions when going into English. Just watch the show now on Netflix and get the feels XD

And after that one go watch Faiy Tail one of the greatest shounen fighting animes to be ready for April

Loading Video...

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

So, I watched all of Gatchaman.

It was weird, but interesting at first. Never seen something like it, so it was fresh. But it went downhill pretty fast during its latter half. It was just terrible nonsensical bullshit by the end.

3/10

"Gatcha!" ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

DualFayte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1237  Edited By DualFayte

@aegon: I thought the ending was pretty anti-climatic, and dumb. Although they released a "director's cut" that is a whole brand-new episode 12 that is nothing like how the show ended. Actually watching that made me think that show was pretty alright. I guess I'm looking forward to season 2

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No-rin is fucking awesome it's a harvest moon anime!

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit Yowamushi Pedal has now a super villain

No Caption Provided

This guy is really awesome and finally the race as started. Good times!!!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UGH. Adventure time has been firing on all cylinders lately, but literally all of those cylinders are depressing.

I mean Bad Timing's ending was sad too, but the way Lemonhope ended was fucking tragic and it made me really really sad :(

and next episode is about a dead character's bucket list, which should be full of good times

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Witch Craft Works is now post-apocolyptic and Weekend is like an evil Batman. This has gone down a crazy road with lots of literal explosions.

@darji said:

Stuff like Attack on Titan loses so much emotions when going into English. Just watch the show now on Netflix and get the feels XD

This might literally be the dumbest thing I've seen you say yet.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

I mean Bad Timing's ending was sad too, but the way Lemonhope ended was fucking tragic and it made me really really sad :(

I'd characterize it more as bittersweet if that word hadn't been abused to hell and back.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1243  Edited By Darji

@dochaus said:

Witch Craft Works is now post-apocolyptic and Weekend is like an evil Batman. This has gone down a crazy road with lots of literal explosions.

@darji said:

This might literally be the dumbest thing I've seen you say yet.

I do not think so and I really believe this. For example watch One Piece in English and with all these emotional scenes it loses so much of the atmosphere so much of the intensity these scenes have in the original. Even stuff like Dragonball Z loses so much intensity. Try too compare the screams of a hurt Goku and then listen to the intensity of the Japanese screams. And It is no wonder at all for that. Voice acting is on a total different acceptance level in Japan.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, Trigger's got their next series lined up. It's based on a light novel series.

If I'm reading that synopsis right, it's about a group of high school kids that get powers out of nowhere, and then nothing else crazy happens, they just have powers. Sounds like it will be different at least.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#1245  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@darji: I'm going to make the wild assumption that German dubs for anime aren't super common (or good) and you're watching something that isn't in your native language either way.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

I'd characterize it more as bittersweet if that word hadn't been abused to hell and back.

oh I don't know, the implication is that the candy kingdom gets back to pre mushroom war and then is destroyed again, while lemonhope comes back to his old abandoned home to die, seems pretty sad to me.

I mean it's possible that maybe they're all living in the giant fuckoff tree that was the treehouse or above the clouds or even another continent but it seems too destroyed for that.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something strange I just noticed about Adventure Time:

No Caption Provided
Are Adventure Time and Final Fantasy in the same universe?
Are Adventure Time and Final Fantasy in the same universe?

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1249  Edited By thebunnyhunter

SO i broke down and watched a fan sub of Kill La Kill ep 22, and guys it was glorious. That last shot was amazing...i was squealing in delight like a little school girl. This show just keeps delivering on hype. Spoilers below

Are you guys ready

Because its happening

Also Samurai Flamenco gets strange again but i like the Goto-san stuff. You know what this show needs? some more twists

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SO i broke down and watched a fan sub of Kill La Kill ep 22, and guys it was glorious. That last shot was amazing...i was squealing in delight like a little school girl. This show just keeps delivering on hype. Spoilers below

Are you guys ready

Because its happening

Also Samurai Flamenco gets strange again but i like the Goto-san stuff. You know what this show needs? some more twists

It gave me "the feels." Every moment after the fight with Nui was either heartwarming or pumping you up for the final showdown.

Also, seeing Satsuki acting like a big sister is great but at the same time, it makes me a little bit worried. Kamina anyone?