Anyone else bored with Christian Bale's Batman? (note: Not the movie as a whole, just his super stiff, can't turn neck, voice overly autotuned, version of the Dark Knight)

• 83 results
hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hoossy
hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By hoossy

Ok, I have been loving the last two Batman movies, who hasn't right? 

However, the moment Christian Bale dawns his bat suit I could be concerned less for him.  He walks around like he has a neck brace on.  His synthesized voice is so absurd that there are some funny youtube videos making fun of it... and well, isn't a great batman story always made great by the villains?   

I think so anyways!  

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Dany

I like Bale's batman, the voice doesn't bother me as it does some people and his idea of what 'batman' means to the people of gotham is greater than the actaul image of the dark knight, it grounds the story more so than previous incarnations which I greatly appreciated.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MikkaQ

He's a good Bruce Wayne, but a pretty bad Batman. It's too bad. Not a big fan of the movies anyway.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ajamafalous

Didn't he get a mask that wasn't connected to his shoulders specifically so he could turn his head? Wasn't there like a wink-and-a-nod scene in the movie? Or am I just imagining things?

Anyway, like Sniper said, He's a good Bruce Wayne, but his batman voice sucks.

I do really like Batman Begins, though (and The Dark Knight, but to a lesser extent).

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Strife777

His voice is not synthesized, he's just speaking differently like anybody trying to have a second identity around people they know should

The can't turn your head thing has been a problem in every single Batman movie and was only solved in The Dark Knight

Finally, you can't play a smooth or "un-stiff" Batman. He wants to be imposing and intimidating presence not a cool looking hero.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By McGhee

Actually, out of all the times Bale has used that voice, Batman is the perfect place for it. Bale showed the rage I always thought Batman should have.

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By NinjaHunter

I thought he over did the voice a bit in The Dark Knight. Didn't mind it in Batman Begins though.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By Draugen

I just have one question; "Where were the other drugs going?" grrrrrr....

JokerFrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JokerFrown

@NinjaHunter said:

I thought he over did the voice a bit in The Dark Knight. Didn't mind it in Batman Begins though.

Ding ding ding. We have a winner here. Batman Begins was perfect in terms of the bat voice. Dark Knight on the other hand.......

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hoossy
@Dany:  
good point, I DO like the idea of the whole image thing.  It's true that's more important than the man himself...  I guess I'm more partial to the Animated Series Batman.  He was always my favorite   :) 

@ajamafalous:  
I forgot about that mask turn thing... that's probably true. 

@Strife777:  
I remember reading that there was "digital enhancement", but who knows if that is actually true.  Either way, it was a bit over-the-top for me.  But I see your point.
Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Strife777

I won't deny the voice was somewhat excessive at points and that it was not always fitting to the emotions certains scenes wanted to portray. Still, overall, I completely enjoyed every single part of that movie, nothing bothered me.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Red

I'm OK with Bale's Bat, although his bat-rasp is a little annoying, and seems like he's trying too hard. He should take a hint from Michael Keaton. But then again, he can still be pretty good, and I didn't mind him at all in Batman Begins, I guess because the story was more centered on him. The teaser for Dark Knight Rises looks to be a more Batman-centric story (instead of how The Dark Knight was more Joker-focused), so it should work more on making his Batman seem more likable. It also seems like Batsy's gonna have had a hiatus since he was on the run, so that could lead to a logical suit redesign and/or voice change.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By MEATBALL

Honestly never had a problem with Bale's Batman, even the voice. It got a little bit out of hand at the end of the Dark Knight, but he was selling his injuries so I don't mind so much. I've liked Bale's Batman more than any of the others.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SeanFoster

I'll put it this way, I'd watch the next Batman movie irregardless of whether or not he was in it as Bruce Wayne/Batman.

oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By oatz

Bale is great.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#17  Edited By citizenkane

@Dany said:

I like Bale's batman, the voice doesn't bother me as it does some people and his idea of what 'batman' means to the people of gotham is greater than the actaul image of the dark knight, it grounds the story more so than previous incarnations which I greatly appreciated.

This is pretty much my exact thoughts. Well done, sir.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BraveToaster
@oatz said:
Bale is great.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xyzygy

Why don't people that putting a stupid choice like the final one here will automatically make any poll useless? 

I voted C.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The voice is a little much, and there's plenty of bad stage fighting in them too. But the movies are still good because of the writing and acting.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By penguindust

Bale is fine.  I'm not sure how any other human actor could do better, so he works well enough for me.  Michael Keaton wasn't any better really and he was pretty good, too.  

The whole concept of a masked vigilante is ridiculous to begin with, so once you get past that lunacy, the rest is easy.

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By QuistisTrepe

Batman with strep throat? Bale's not perfect. Michael Keaton is the only Batman who ever got it completely right, IMO.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By matpaget

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By matpaget

You're peanut butter jello forever
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By toowalrus

That voice is a little goofy, sure, but I still like this batman more than any of the other live action batmen that ever existed.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By probablytuna

I'm perfectly fine with Christian Bale. He's an incredible actor, and he is great as Batman. And yeah, E.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By CastroCasper

It seems like every day someone is asking this question.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I like the flicks, but yeah in Dark Knight I kinda thought Batman had the backseat in the story.
Joker and Dent did way more for me then Bats did.

Its cool the first time through, second watch you'd think he has a cold.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Adam West is the only true Batman!!!

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ProfessorEss

Nope. Maybe the voice is a little much, but not nearly enough to cancel out all the positives. 
His Bruce Wayne is fantastic and in my opinion that's the most crucial part of playing the character. 

As far as the voice goes, I just chalk it up to Wayne going out of his way to make sure people don't recognize his voice.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ryanwho

His Batman is stupid. Everything else in the movie is fine. Michael Keaton was better because he didn't act stupid. He didn't change his voice, he changed his tone. Anyone who can't decipher the difference is a moron.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TwoLines

He changes his voice because he's the goddamn Batman. 
Also, he tries to hide his identity. That always bothered me in older Batman movies. 
It was almost as obvious as Superman hiding as Clark. Okay, maybe not THAT obvious.

So I prefer this version.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#34  Edited By benpack

I like the voice.

1momosauky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By 1momosauky

suspension of disbelief, he should not change it so much "to protect his identity" and we will all still happily believe that no one will find out

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ryanwho
@TwoLines said:
He changes his voice because he's the goddamn Batman. Also, he tries to hide his identity. That always bothered me in older Batman movies. It was almost as obvious as Superman hiding as Clark. Okay, maybe not THAT obvious. So I prefer this version.
What does practicality have to do with Batman? If he's being practical, he straps a voice modulator to his mask. If its that important, he thinks of a better way to hide himself than talking like a fool. You can't say he's being practical then ignore that he's avoided any kind of practical real world means to mask his voice. He cares about his voice, but not the bottom half of his face showing? How many arbitrary lines does one have to draw to be an apologist for a poor acting choice Bale made?
ElBarto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ElBarto

Did you just say his voice was autotuned? The nigga doesn't sound like Cher, come on.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Catarrhal

You can talk about Bale; you can talk about Keaton (i.e. the only great onscreen portrayal of the Batman to date), but as far as the voice is concerned, it's all about Kevin Conroy. He's played the character for twenty years now, and although he considers Bale "a damn good actor," well… go ahead and watch this clip, if you haven't already. I'm afraid Conroy has spoken, and you're in no position to argue!

vinsanity09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By vinsanity09
@ryanwho: wow, your last 2 posts just make you sound like a an elitist movie jerk lol. I don't take movies seriously so no I don't care about his voice at all.
agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By agentboolen

The Dark Knight was all about Heath Ledger's Joker, the Joker was the most enjoyable part of that movie.  For Bale, I understand why there going this route but at the same time it can get a bit annoying.  IMO allongs as they keep bringing in really cool versions of Batmans foes in this series of movies it should keep moving in a good direction....  For the series high, it has definitely peaked with the Dark Knight, it can only go down from here, hopefully not that far down though.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ryanwho

Batman shouldn't be the weakest part of a Batman movie. That's topsy turvy. They should just bring Danny Craig in, Bond aintdoing anything anytime soon. And he won't ham it up like some fool.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ryanwho
@vinsanity09 said:
@ryanwho: wow, your last 2 posts just make you sound like a an elitist movie jerk lol. I don't take movies seriously so no I don't care about his voice at all.
Cool, you're the reason Transformers 3 and Pirates 4 exist. So be proud of that. With your lack of standards and such, easygoing attitude.
vinsanity09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By vinsanity09
@ryanwho said:
@vinsanity09 said:
Cool, you're the reason Transformers 3 and Pirates 4 exist. So be proud of that. With your lack of standards and such, easygoing attitude.
Never saw a Transformers movie, vaguely remember watching the first Pirates movie, so yeah I doubt that I'm their target audience lol. I'm just not a big movie guy and that's why it makes me giggle when people take them as seriously as you. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I just can't really understand it that's all
Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Hot_Karl

I think Christian Bale's Batman is probably one of the weaker characters in the films, but that's because he's keeping company with Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Heath Ledger & Liam Neeson, who are all amazing actors and perfect in their roles. 
His voice never bothered me in the films. It's kind of obvious to make fun of his voice (as well as Rorschach's, I guess), but it really doesn't get to me the way it gets to other people out there.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By BulletproofMonk

I think Bale's a great Bruce Wayne. He's just okay as Batman though.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He went a bit overboard in the second movie with the voice thing. Other than that he's really good.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jmfinamore

Like people have said, the voice went a bit far in TDK but other than that he's fine. He's a good actor and seems like he knows what he's doing. Keaton played Batman a bit more crazy and on the edge whereas the Bale series makes him more in control but about to explode into rage. Most of the other problems stem from turning a comic book man dressed up in a rubber bat suit into a real person.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#48  Edited By citizenkane

@ryanwho said:

Batman shouldn't be the weakest part of a Batman movie. That's topsy turvy. They should just bring Danny Craig in, Bond aintdoing anything anytime soon. And he won't ham it up like some fool.

Daniel Craig doesn't have the physicality to be Batman, or at least as much as Christian Bale. He's also not as good of an actor as Bale is.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Dany

@CitizenKane said:

@Dany said:

This is pretty much my exact thoughts. Well done, sir.

I'm also totally appreciative of everything Nolan has done. Since I was 13 watching Memento and being totally confused to seeing Insomnia, Prestige and his Batman films. Nolan has yet to make a wrong move in my book.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ShaneDev

I like him as an actor and I like him as Batman. I think the voice is okay but does come off as really goofy and hard to listen to at times. I wish he had gone more in the Micheal Keaton style, as quiet and somber Batman who was still threatening.