Anyone following this Felicia Day twitter drama?

• 400 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Ugh.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

While I agree that this guy is a total jerk looking for some negative attention (and clicks to his website/twitter), it's not our duty to stand up for someone who plays video games. It's not something we should have to stand up for. Felicia Day is a talented individual who brings some modesty and showmanship to whatever projects she works on. That's what we should be harping because everybody in the whole world plays/has played and enjoys/enjoyed a video game.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203  Edited By leebmx

@Grimace: No worries, I think a lot of people only read the inital post which is why they maybe think its not as bad as it is.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#204  Edited By Meowshi

@Juicebox said:

@Meowshi said:

@AlexW00d said:

Female is offended, internet goes into overdrive. More on this at 10.

I'm pretty sure she hasn't responded to this at all.

She called in the cavalry.

This is why no one takes Feminism seriously.

She's a woman. That's why she gets away with having no talent. FACT.

I'm pretty sure she hasn't responded to this at all.

Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#205  Edited By Juicebox

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Juicebox: I agree, your attempts at trolling are pretty talentless. Your avatar and your attitude scream manchild.

You're not even trying to prove me wrong.

Felicia Day is just getting a free pass.

Also, her show is crappy as hell dude, why won't you admit that?

Can't even act.

Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By Juicebox

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1: She has no talent . At all.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#207  Edited By GooieGreen

It was rude of him to flip out like that... but the reaction that it caused in the "Twittersphere" (I immediately regret using that term) is mind-boggling.

Personally, I don't care for Wil Wheaton, Ms. Day, and the like. I have a beef with anyone that exists because they talk about how fucking geeky they are as a credential. They lack a certain level of humility that someone like Chris Hardwick has that makes them less offensive (at least to me) and more enjoyable to see working. But if I were someone who had followers or could otherwise be seen -and therefore deemed relevant in the grand scheme of things- I doubt I'd do that. The entertainment industry (particularly the gaming media) has plenty of insider or otherwise off the radar feuds going on, and that's really where they should stay.

Social media and blog sites have only perpetuated one of the nastiest sides of the human condition.

Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By Juicebox
alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#209  Edited By alistercat

I'm pretty disgusted with the attitude towards people having to justify themselves, towards basic human manners and knowing how to ask a question with decency if you really have to ask it at all.

I hate the internet.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, I have absolutely zero interest in her and I think most of the stuff she does is shitty and she gets a pass for having 'nerd appeal'.  At least the guy was honest about it, never mind the ramifications. 

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By Ace829

@Metzo_Paino: Actually a small uproar did happen and he ended up apologizing, though both were idiots in that situation. Also, it didn't blow up as much on Twitter because Felicia Day is much more well-known.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By Meowshi

@GooieGreen said:

I have a beef with anyone that exists because they talk about how fucking geeky they are as a credential.

Uh, Chris Hardwick does this all the time. I think what you mean to say is, "I don't like the work of Wil Wheaton or Ms. Day, but I do like the work of Chris Hardwick, which makes him doing the exact same thing okay for some reason."

Honesty is the best policy.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By leebmx

@Sooty said:

@leebmx said:

@Sooty said:

You know the most fucked up part about this story?

If he attacked a guy, let's say Michael Pachter, nobody would be as outraged and he probably wouldn't have been fired.

You know it's true.

Thats complete bullshit - if he went on Twitter at @'ed Patcher calling him useless and insulting him in the same way the exact same thing would have happened - same for Nolan North. The problem wasn't that he doesn't like the Day or what she does but that he chose to insult her directly over a public forum.

I am amazed that people in professional positions don't realise that they can't use Twitter etc as if they were having a beery conversation in the pub. If you work on the internet, you have to consider it part of your workplace and the same way you wouldn't be able to go up to someone in your office and insult them you can't do it online - indeed it's worse online because its so public.

I love the way people manage to turn everything round and blame it on women.....its a bit pathetic.

It's not complete bullshit, white knights come out in defense of women, Pachter and North are both guys, right? ...right?

Whether or not the end result would be the same is irrelevant, I'm just saying the outrage would have been on a smaller scale in comparison, I don't think insulting Pachter would have attracted anywhere near as much attention.

I'm not blaming women, I'm blaming the legions of horny gamer nerds that feel they have to rush out in the defense of women. Now that is pathetic.

I think if he'd tweeted at Patchter or North that they were talentless shells just getting by on looks and smarm (which is essentially what he said about Day) people would have thought it was just as insulting and stupid. The reason people spring out in defence for a woman is because a lot of people are really tired of the disgusting, lazy, misogyny that is rife in gaming and bite back when they see it.

The fact that the target for your disgust in this situation is people standing up for what is right says a lot. Its just a reaction to draw attention away from the real issue. You are also belittling women in this industry by suggesting that their fans don't like them for what they do but what they look like.

Avatar image for blastprocessing
BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#214  Edited By BlastProcessing

They both suck, carry on.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#215  Edited By crusader8463

OH NOES! Just because it's now between some F-G list "celebrities" doesn't mean that this warrants any more attention then any other stupid internet Drama out there.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By GooieGreen

@Meowshi said:

@GooieGreen said:

I have a beef with anyone that exists because they talk about how fucking geeky they are as a credential.

Uh, Chris Hardwick does this all the time. I think what you mean to say is, "I don't like the work of Wil Wheaton or Ms. Day, but I do like the work of Chris Hardwick, which makes him doing the exact same thing okay for some reason."

It helps if you actually read what I said instead of picking and choosing. I did say that they lacked a certain level of humility.

Practice what you preach.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By pweidman

I guess it's appropriate that even in the wilds of twitter/internet that you can't just go crazy and rip someone unjustly without consequence. At least everyone going in knows twitter is super visible and not anonymous inherently. Still people can be so dumb. Unfortunate really that the guy lost his job over it, but let that be a warning to others who have a few and think it'd be cool to get on twitter and make an ass out of themselves. Some standard of behavior is required, and I think that's great and adds to my slim faith in modern humanity.

BTW, I really liked Felicia Day's VO in Fallout:NV, and she's fantastic imo in The Guild.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By Meowshi

@crusader8463 said:

OH NOES! Just because it's now between some F-G list "celebrities" doesn't mean that this warrants any more attention then any other stupid internet Drama out there.

Celebrities? No.

They are two gaming personalities, which makes them perfect for an off-topic forum on a video game-based forum.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#219  Edited By AhmadMetallic

You can take screenshots ON your iPhone? I need to get me one of those machines.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By Meowshi

@GooieGreen said:

@Meowshi said:

@GooieGreen said:

It helps if you actually read what I said instead of picking and choosing. I did say that they lacked a certain level of humility.

Practice what you preach.

Fair enough. If you want to pretend like there's any actual difference between them, I won't stop you. Pretending can be fun!

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By leebmx

@Brodehouse: No, he sent an abusive message, unprovoked, to a respected member of the industry - anyone who did that would be fired. Editorialising in Podcasts or writing about whether you like someone's work is one thing and is great - sending someone a message saying they are a talentless bimbo is not. It's called professionalism.

Again picture this in any other industry. Say you work in a public position in Wallmart and you go on twitter and direct insults at another prominent person at Amazon. You will be walked out by security in 5 mins. People have clauses in their contracts that they have to uphold a proper image of their company or whoever they represent. Its nothing to do with anyone's sex.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By MideonNViscera

I do have to wonder what the fuck the point of "gaming personalities" is. Besides Nicholas Picholas of course.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By GooieGreen

@pweidman said:

I guess it's appropriate that even in the wilds of twitter/internet that you can't just go crazy and rip someone unjustly without consequence. At least everyone going in knows twitter is super visible and not anonymous inherently. Still people can be so dumb. Unfortunate really that the guy lost his job over it, but let that be a warning to others who have a few and think it'd be cool to get on twitter and make an ass out of themselves. Some standard of behavior is required, and I think that's great and adds to my slim faith in modern humanity.

BTW, I really liked Felicia Day's VO in Fallout:NV, and she's fantastic imo in The Guild.

At least he went out with a bang, right? Again, social media + named person = going to offend someone and get noticed. If this were any other time period, this wouldn't have exploded like this. Weird to see how things have changed.

@Meowshi said:

Fair enough. If you want to pretend like there's any actual difference between them, I won't stop you. Pretending can be fun!

I didn't know it was common practice to be rude to people online. I guess this is just a theme from this entire thread, huh? Unlike the other people I've mentioned, Chris actually has a life outside of being a geek, despite all of his humblebrags that exist otherwise. I was at his Comedy Central taping a few months ago and it was great. I really couldn't tell you what Wil or Felecia do outside of being "nerds". I'm sure they're lovely people, but they remain the idea of being a geek and not real people to me.

If you'd like, we can slow dance the night away and talk about this issue further ;)

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By Meowshi

@MideonNViscera said:

I do have to wonder what the fuck the point of "gaming personalities" is. Besides Nicholas Picholas of course.

The only reason I come to Giantbomb is because it features gaming personalities that I like.

It certainly isn't because of the stellar news reporting or the insightful, intelligent forum discussion.

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#225  Edited By Dookysharpgun

The only other thing I've seen her do is play a nerdy-computer hacker supreme in Supernatural, and while she was good there, like one of the most entertaining character who I'd have loved to see come back as a semi-regular, I haven't really seen her in anything else...

And it's one guy on Destructoid for Christ's sake, I visit the site daily and he barely writes anything for it anymore...so that's probably the main reason why D-toid dumped his arse in the end; no work + hostile attitude = 'ending the relationship'. Honestly, why do people dump on Destructoid when they're one of the only sites I visit that have actual gaming news up as it comes out, or damn near close to it?

Anyway, I don't know why people white-knighted her, she can handle herself just fine, being part of geek culture and all that...she's cool, but not someone I'd even give a rat's ass about if it wasn't for that one episode of supernatural...and maybe those few episodes of Buffy she was in.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#226  Edited By Sogeman

@Demoskinos said:

@shadowdrone: I know exactly what Jaffe is meaning. Basically he is trying to say she isn't a frail little girl that needs protecting and she can fight her own fights without men coming out of the woodwork white knighting for her on twitter. Which he has kind of a point ... to an extent.

This just made me think of rape, I don't know why. (oh I know why, it's Tomb Raider)

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By BionicRadd

According to his twitter account, he was not "fired", he quit. Then again, it sounded like he was a freelance guy, anyway. It was kinda funny seeing all these people jump down his shit and make him internet famous for a day for being a douche bag, but otherwise, I don't care. I've heard people bitch about Felicia Day in the past, but I think him calling her some kind of shill for the industry is what got everyone's hackles raised.

Did he deserve the bile? Yes. It's no different than going to someone else's house (which he did by tagging her twitter name) and talking a bunch of shit to them in front of their friends (in this case, the internet). Even if felicia had "stood up for herself", it would not have stopped her freinds and fans from jumping down this guy's throat. He went out in public and kicked a puppy. I also am in the camp that, yes, calling her a "glorified booth babe" is horribly misogynist. Oh well, though. Life goes on.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#228  Edited By musubi
@MideonNViscera

Because I like my gaming coverage do have personality to it.
Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By Ace829

@AlisterCat said:

I'm pretty disgusted with the attitude towards people having to justify themselves, towards basic human manners and knowing how to ask a question with decency if you really have to ask it at all.

I hate the internet.

I know this is most likely hyperbole, but people say stupid shit all the time on the internet, while people also say/do awesome shit on the internet. I don't think it's worth hating the entire internet over the idiotic vocal minority.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By Meowshi

@Dookysharpgun said:

The only other thing I've seen her do is play a nerdy-computer hacker supreme in Supernatural, and while she was good there, like one of the most entertaining character who I'd have loved to see come back as a semi-regular, I haven't really seen her in anything else...

I only really know her from Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog. I also watched a few episodes of The Guild, but it's not my sort of thing. I played WoW for like a week.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By BionicRadd

@MideonNViscera said:

She isn't a gaming personality. She's an actress. It just so happens that her biggest success is an internet series based around a fake MMO. She's also done plenty of other work that has nothing to do with gaming, at all.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By Ace829

@Demoskinos said:

@MideonNViscera

Because I like my gaming coverage do have personality to it.

Isn't Giant Bomb built on gaming personalities? You might as well be asking "What's the point of Giant Bomb".

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leebmx

@Brodehouse: No, he sent an abusive message, unprovoked, to a respected member of the industry - anyone who did that would be fired. Editorialising in Podcasts or writing about whether you like someone's work is one thing and is great - sending someone a message saying they are a talentless bimbo is not. It's called professionalism.

Again picture this in any other industry. Say you work in a public position in Wallmart and you go on twitter and direct insults at another prominent person at Amazon. You will be walked out by security in 5 mins. People have clauses in their contracts that they have to uphold a proper image of their company or whoever they represent. Its nothing to do with anyone's sex.

Absolutely not. Criticizing a celerity (criticizing anyone) is not acceptvalr grounds for termination in any free country. No one has ever been fired for saying that Usher is a talentless loser only popular because of his looks, because people are still allowed to have opinions. I sure hope you've never expressed a negative opinion about anything, anywhere. Under your example, Ryan is in a position to be fired every time he talks shit about _anything_, which is basically what he does. It's completely untenable. I work at a job where a half dozen people every day say awful shit to me, none of them will be fired from whatever job they have. Otherwise we're living in a world where I have to pretend that I like Michael Bolton because other people like Michael Bolton.

Do you know the difference between an editorial, a podcast and twitter? NOTHING. They're all opinions spoken out loud. I can't fathom how you think something is more appropriate because of the medium.

Also, to his point; is Felicia Day a 'respected member of the industry'? She has one voice over credit. What exactly is she respected for? Joss Whedon doesn't make games. Is she respected for being a personality?
Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@wmaustin55 said:

@maskedarcstrike

@translucentfish: Hey I'm not trying to hate on women in the gaming industry, I love Tina Wood and I liked Laura Foy. Those two women knew their shit back in the day, they did their homework and could actually have intelligent conservations about gaming in G4's early days.

I get your argument that if men go down this route it's perfectly fine.

But hey, the sports media industry has had this same crap going on for decades. It's no different than the video gaming industry. It all boils down to whether you get their schtick or not whether it's Chobot or Skip Bayless. It's all about if your fake or not.

Holy shit, that Cuban video is amazing

Mark Cuban is full of shit. His team didn't make Lebron do anything. Lebron looked at J.J. Barea and Jason Kidd (two guys half his size) guarding him and he decided he was going take fade-away jump shots. Lebron decided that in the final seconds of the shot clock he was going to pass the ball to Juwan Howard. If Lebron wasn't scared of the moment, Miami would have won. All the scheme bullshit he was spewing wouldn't have mattered if the best player decided he was going to the rim. This is the exact opposite of what happened in this years Finals.

I hate when idiots like Mark Cuban try to pretend that athletes aren't human and that they can look at stats to tell them everything. Emotions play a huge role in anything. I know pressure, desperation, and momentum play roles in winning because of the countless players I have heard say it does. I know players listen to guys like Skip because of the players who have said so (Lebron said in his post game interview that this year he stopped listening to the media). I know playing harder and wanting it more are part of the game because (again) of all the players I've heard say it.

Mark Cuban is a smug asshole who thinks because he had someone on his team tell him information most people can't ever know, it someone makes him right on everything.

/rant

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By Meowshi

@Brodehouse said:

@leebmx

Absolutely not. Criticizing a celerity (criticizing anyone) is not acceptvalr grounds for termination in any free country.

Companies can fire people for whatever reason they like. The fact that they don't want to be associated with this guy really shouldn't surprise you. He seems like an ass.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Juicebox: Only a manchild would care so much. Adults stop looking at things they don't like.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By laserbolts

Prime example of why twitter is fucking stupid.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By BionicRadd
mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By mandude
Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By Jrinswand

Well, I myself get a little bit tired of Felicia Day, even though I only watched the first season of The Guild. That said, she was awesome in Dr. Horrible and therefore Ryan Perez is a doucheface. But I can't boycott Destructoid (not that I would anyway) because I've never gone to that site to begin with.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By BionicRadd

@Brodehouse said:

Absolutely not. Criticizing a celerity (criticizing anyone) is not acceptvalr grounds for termination in any free country.

I live in TX. You can be fired because you came in one day with a funny hair cut. Employers here need absolutely no reason to fire someone. The only reason why you were fired matters is if it's something awful like theft, they can petition the state to deny you unemployment benefits. So, yea, I do not know how it works in other places, but where I am from, employers have the right to fire anyone they don't want working for them, anymore, for any reason or no reason, whatsoever.

PokeIkzai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By PokeIkzai

Well looks like Destructoid fired the guy for his personal opinion on Felicia Day.

EDIT: Guess not. Good. I mean the guy was an asshole but I just can't stand the internet vilification process that's been going on lately. "You better stop hating on people we like or else were going to hate on you so hard. Right, bros? Let's get that misogynist!"

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By GooieGreen
BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By BionicRadd

@mandude said:

@BionicRadd said:

He didn't get fired.

https://twitter.com/PissedOffRyno/status/219350293392003072

Ryan Perez‏PissedOffRyno

Nakedhobodanteofdoom Actually, it was I who made the first suggestion to cut ties with Dtoid. For their sake, obviously. Not mine.

He quit.

Is he telling the truth? It comes across like "Well you can't fire me, because I quit!"

I assume he was nothing more than a freelancer, anyway, but the early tweets from Destructoid seemed like they wanted to smooth things over. Truth be told, if they'd let this die out, in a week, no one would have cared, anymore. Prior to all this, the guy had 50 followers on Twitter, so it's not like he was a writer with a huge fanbase.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Meowshi Absolutely, he does. But not 'you should expect to be fired if you call a celebrity talentless' is ridiculous. You should expect to be fired for reasons related to your job, not because you think Wil Wheaton is shit at his job. Or even if you think the guy flipping burgers at the restaurant across the street is shit at his job.

I do find it funny that people in the games industry spend so much time talking awful shit about booth babes, saying they don't provide anything of value... That comparing anyone to them (or a glorified version of them) is considered the most vulgar thing possible. Wasn't that kind of his point? That he doesn't believe she provides anything more, but receives respect not commensurate with her contributions?

Jim Sterling on the other hand, just takes refuge in audacity, as it's usually worked for him in the past. The worse he acts and the more people get angry, the richer and more secure he gets. I wonder if this will be any different.
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#246  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

The internet is a beautiful and incredible thing...its also one of the worst things ever. It's just funny that way.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@PokeIkzai said:

Well looks like Destructoid fired the guy for his personal opinion on Felicia Day.

I don't think you know what the word personal means.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By BionicRadd

@Brodehouse said:

@Meowshi Absolutely, he does. But not 'you should expect to be fired if you call a celebrity talentless' is ridiculous. You should expect to be fired for reasons related to your job, not because you think Wil Wheaton is shit at his job. Or even if you think the guy flipping burgers at the restaurant across the street is shit at his job. I do find it funny that people in the games industry spend so much time talking awful shit about booth babes, saying they don't provide anything of value... That comparing anyone to them (or a glorified version of them) is considered the most vulgar thing possible. Wasn't that kind of his point? That he doesn't believe she provides anything more, but receives respect not commensurate with her contributions? Jim Sterling on the other hand, just takes refuge in audacity, as it's usually worked for him in the past. The worse he acts and the more people get angry, the richer and more secure he gets. I wonder if this will be any different.

Public image is everything to sites like Destructoid. History is littered with the bodies of journalists who lost their jobs because they said something they should never have said in public. If a large group of people think this guys a douche bag and thereby dislike Destructoid for being associated with him, that could theoretically get in the way of getting interviews down the road.

Calling Felcia Day a glorified booth babe both demeans her (admittedly meager) accomplishments as an actor and misrepresents her position in the gaming industry, which is to say that she doesn't have a position in the gaming industry. She does a web series that centers around a made-up video game. If she ever stopped doing The Guild, a large part of her draw to video game web sites would go away. She doesn't go around to conventions shilling for game companies, so inferring that she's a booth babe is just ignorant. I am sure she did some promo stuff for DA2, but at the same time, she was promoting the web series she acted in that was connected to the game, because that's her job as an actor. She's gotten to her current station in life by working hard and being creative and anyone that tries to imply otherwise deserves to get publicly reamed.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Twitter conflicts are hilarious

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By LiquidS

I cared just enough about this situation to write this sentence.