Anyone here runs races/marathons?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

I'm going to start attending running events. I am interested to know if someone else is also invested in the sport. 

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By StaticFalconar

Yeah, but I more or less just crash them and jog them then enjoy the free shit i get at the end. 

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Example1013

My cousin is one of the top runners in Florida. 

I stay about as far away from races as possible, though. It's not that I'm not fast, I just hate running.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jeust
@StaticFalconar said:
" Yeah, but I more or less just crash them and jog them then enjoy the free shit i get at the end.  "
Nice. ^^ 

I think of start taking the sport more or less seriously, to test my running ability. ahah 

@example1013 said:
" My cousin is one of the top runners in Florida.  I stay about as far away from races as possible, though. It's not that I'm not fast, I just hate running. "
Interesting. :)
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By iam3green

no, i don't run, job, or anything like that.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Example1013
@Jeust: It takes a lot of work. Like a lot. To get good at. Even if you have athletic ability. Which is probably a large part of why I don't run.
MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#7  Edited By MightyDuck

I ran a 10k back in '08.  I really enjoyed it and need to get into it again.

joeyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By joeyf

I've run a few 10k's and half-marathons.  I'm really trying to at least run and complete one marathon this year.  Maybe the San Diego Rock and Roll marathon, or even one here in San Francisco.

Carestrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Carestrike

Used to when I was about 14. Since then bad shit's gone down with my legs so running like that is less than advisable.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jeust
@m0rdr3d said:

" Nice.  Yeah here in Kansas City.  They're very fun and rewarding.  I got into them in the last few years and didn't see it coming.  Been thinking I might start planning my vacations to run a marathon wherever I go. Where's your first event? "

My first event is this weekend at my home town. Celebrating Father's Day, there will be held a 6km and a 10km runs. I'm going on the 6km. It's nothing fancy, still it's the first time i'll run outside of the gym. ^^ 

@example1013 said:

" @Jeust: It takes a lot of work. Like a lot. To get good at. Even if you have athletic ability. Which is probably a large part of why I don't run. "

Hum hum I believe. I decided to run, not to be great at, but as a way to test and hone my capacities, and to feel better with myself. 
sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sameeeeam

I don't think my body could handle that much exercise.

duskvamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By duskvamp

I tried going for a jog once, got to the end of my street and felt like I was gonna pass out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I started getting into running last year, I ran about 3 5k's. I haven't done any running at all since last september, going to start again soon. 

niall_sg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By niall_sg1

Whenever I run for more than 20 minutes my shins feel like they are gonna snap in two. Something to do with my outer leg muscles being much stronger than my inner ones. 

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By Tordah

I've thought about it, but I think I'm too heavy and slow to run a full marathon. I'm more into building muscle mass and going to the gym, and that's usually not a good combination if you want to do long-distance running.  Last summer I did some 10k runs though and felt fine afterwards. 

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Example1013
@Jeust: That's a sound plan. I was so out of shape in high school that my vision blacked out on the last 3rd of the track for the mile, and I had to walk the rest of the way. It turns out that, even though I ran most of the mile, I still ended up with a time of 8:30, which is as close to a failure as you can get in PE (a C). For comparison, I didn't try the year before and got an 8:45. 

On the other hand, I was about .4 seconds from a school record one fall on the chair weave (6 chairs spread out, you zig zag between them, round the last one, and zig zag back). If I'd worked out, I probably could've beaten it that spring (instead my time got worse). 

Distance running is all about being in shape, but only certain people have the proper musculature for sprinting. So I'd probably do sprints, if I had to run.
TommyUnderwear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TommyUnderwear

Up until I hurt my back a year ago I did regular 5 and 6 mile races.  I wouldn't have been the fastest in the pack but I managed to come in around 30th of about 250 people.  I averaged 6.42min per mile which is respectable enough.  It is a tough game to get into and keep going.  The slightest injury will set you back big time so make sure you prepare as much as you can for it.  Jumping in at the deep end is not advised.  I would have loved to do a marathon but there is no way I could last that distance now.  My back would snap in 2 if I tried.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/6263619
Drakhir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Drakhir

Had one yesterday. Got 4th place.

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

I ran 10 K only once in my life, in the dead of summer, with crazy bikers zipping about. Never want to do it again.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Um...

I jogged about a mile today, does that count?