• 91 results
Posted by MormonWarrior (2541 posts) 5 months, 12 days ago

Poll: Are Foreign Accents Attractive or Unattractive? (240 votes)

Attractive! English accents are super sexy. 60%
Unattractive! I prefer folks to talk like I do. 4%
You're all morons! Show me the results. 36%

I've found that there are lots of guys/girls here in the US of A that think an Australian or English accent is extremely attractive. I tend to find that I'm most attracted to girls that speak like I do, or relatively accent-free.

Regardless of where you're from, do you find foreign accents more or less attractive in a person, all other things being equal? (Sorry that the first answer assumes you're from America but hey...that's where I'm from.)

#1 Edited by believer258 (11631 posts) -

I don't think there's a such thing as "accent free".

And not really, no.

EDIT: What I mean is, I don't find foreign or domestic accents more attractive than the other in a general sense. Of course there are some I like better than others, but I just don't give it too much thought. I'll know a good voice when I hear it and I'll know an annoying voice when I hear it.

#2 Posted by Rorie (2682 posts) -

20% hotter if it's something nice and not too gutteral.

Staff
#3 Posted by CornBREDX (4796 posts) -

I am American and find Irish, Scottish, and other accents in that area of the world attractive indeed.

I would normally think that it's because that accent is uncommon but I have actually known a lot of people from all over the world (including Ireland, Scottland, UK, Australia, New Zealand, and what not) so it's not unknown to me at all. I just think it's more attractive an accent than my boring terrible voice.

#4 Edited by Video_Game_King (35992 posts) -

Doesn't it depend on the accent? Like, I can imagine a German accent being attractive, but never in a million years could I imagine a ドイツ accent being attractive. Sounds like you're burping out your words.

#5 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5335 posts) -

Accents are great. Except French Canadian. That's death itself.

Though I wouldn't limit it to "Foreign" anyone who doesn't sound boring and/or French Canadian is great. There are extremely shrill sounding other accents aside from French Canadian, but they're really just spies of the Quebecois New World Order.

#6 Edited by MormonWarrior (2541 posts) -

I don't think there's a such thing as "accent free".

And not really, no.

Yeah, you're right. An accent is just the way you speak I guess, and it tends to give away where you're from. It's a bit more pronounced in some places than others though. I'm working with a guy that recently moved from Mississippi to Utah and it's very obvious that he's from the south. I'm not sure that people could place me other than vaguely western USA.

Doesn't it depend on the accent? Like, I can imagine a German accent being attractive, but never in a million years could I imagine a ドイツ accent being attractive. Sounds like you're burping out your words.

You're right on that, I meant is there an accent that you find more attractive than just the way people from where you're from talk. Semi-broken English from China or something isn't what I mean. And of course it depends on the area of the place too. Downton Abbey-style English versus Cockney or anything like that sure makes a difference. I just generally would say that even though it's exotic and not necessarily a turn off to have an accent, I find normal American speech most attractive.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (35992 posts) -

@mormonwarrior:

Actually, I was just commenting on how you didn't specify language. I wrote ドイツ to mean "German accent in Japanese", which sounds exactly as I'd described it. 英語 accents (or イギリス accents) also suck, now that I think about it. Does Japanese have any foreign accents that don't suck?

#8 Posted by RonGalaxy (2871 posts) -

Depends on the accent. I would say yes in most instances.

#9 Posted by cloudymusic (1051 posts) -

@video_game_king: I'm ever so slightly unsettled that I knew this was one of your posts from reading it without even looking at the username.

#10 Edited by Yummylee (21249 posts) -

I really like me some husky Eastern-European/Russian accents; Irina from The Sopranos is a really good example of the sorta accent I find appealing. A really strong Irish accent can be pretty cute, too.

#11 Edited by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

It can be both? It's a weird question, because it depends on all of what accent it is, the degree of the accent, and how it interplays with the speaker's natural tone and timbre. It's such a judge-on-an-individual-basis kind of thing.

#12 Posted by pyromagnestir (4242 posts) -

@rorie said:

20% hotter if it's something nice and not too gutteral.

100% hotter if it makes her sound like she's a pack a day smoker just in from running a decathlon on a particularly smoggy day in Beijing.

#13 Posted by FLStyle (4576 posts) -

Question answered in the form of a video!

#14 Posted by crithon (3076 posts) -

..... Mel Brooks films taught me a lot about accents.

"IT'S TWRU! IT'S TWRU!"

#15 Edited by SgtSphynx (1266 posts) -

It really depends on the accent. But for the most part, yes.

#16 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1946 posts) -

Sure? No? Maybe?

Sometimes.

#17 Posted by PatODay (156 posts) -

I love hearing foreign accents. Bring from Boston any different accent is welcomed.

#18 Edited by face15 (1274 posts) -

As a non-American I can say that an American accent is super unattractive. A lot of other accents can be though, particularly from a lot of European countries.

#19 Edited by BisonHero (6166 posts) -

I feel like the sexiness of an accent wildly plays off of stereotypes.

It's really just a few European accents that are considered attractive by English-speakers. Europe, and maybe Australia/New Zealand. Most accents are not very attractive if they're from Asia, Africa, South America, and any part of Europe other than like the northwest bit.

Now, which accent is the funniest? Indians speaking English, by far. That comedy goldmine has been used by everybody from The Simpsons' Apu to Russell Peters.

#20 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3741 posts) -

It depends but sometimes it's amazing. Girls with English accents are indeed really hot.

#21 Posted by Milkman (16526 posts) -

It depends on the accent. Girls with British accents though...That's a good one.

#22 Posted by Hunter5024 (5541 posts) -

I like English, Irish, and Australian accents. After that I'd prefer an American accent, and then everywhere else.

#23 Posted by Coafi (1481 posts) -

When I speak english my accent is all over the place, sometimes I sound american, other times european. I like accents, everyone has accents and sure, once in awhile it's attractive.

#24 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

I'm semi-surprised at the dearth of Russian. There's an accent that can go so wrong, and also so so right.

#25 Edited by mlarrabee (2885 posts) -

It really varies through a large number of factors: whether or not I find other aspects of the person with the accent attractive, slight distinctions in pronunciation, and familiarity with the accent.

I've heard great Irish and Scottish accents and I've heard awful. I liked English until a former co-worker ruined it (along with the English youths who pronounce "TH" as "V").

(I take some unearned pride to be from the only region on earth agreed largely upon by linguists to be accent-free.)

EDIT: Since I don't find English accents attractive--probably because I haven't personally met any surprisingly attractive English girls--I couldn't really vote either way. So, I guess you're all morons...?

#26 Posted by Doskias (303 posts) -

Definitely put me in the "it depends" crowd.

I do like a nice welsh accent, though. That gets me, more often than not.

#27 Posted by Superkenon (1388 posts) -

@video_game_king: Even though I'm a nerd who can understand your moonspeak, I have to question why you'd use it to make your point, if not to purposefully be misunderstood. But that's not what language is for!!

Also, foreign-japanese accents are the best.

#28 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3743 posts) -

As an American, DuskVamp's British accent was definitely a major plus.

#29 Posted by Video_Game_King (35992 posts) -

@superkenon:

That wasn't 月語; it was 日本語. I used that to illustrate what language the accent is in.

#30 Posted by LiquidPrince (15842 posts) -

Wait German? Really? Of all the possible sexy accents, German?

#31 Edited by Superkenon (1388 posts) -
#32 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

Where's the option for I don't give a shit about someone's accent? Is that the last one? I mean, if you want me to call you all morons I can, but people usually don't like it when I'm honest about stuff like that...

#33 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3785 posts) -

Definitely attractive usually. I'm a sucker for an Australian accent. If I ever make it there my head will probably explode.

#34 Posted by Strife777 (1501 posts) -

I'd say it's usually attractive. It's exotic and different.

#35 Edited by tourgen (4427 posts) -

depends on their country of origin

#36 Posted by Pr1mus (3808 posts) -

My French-Canadian accent is most certainly the most attractive accent there is.

#37 Posted by noizy (654 posts) -

Oui.

#38 Posted by ajamafalous (11846 posts) -

Depends on the accent

#39 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Is it weird that I'm listening to Danger High Voltage on my mp3 player as right this? But yes, Much like ties.

#40 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2306 posts) -

I think Australian is the sexiest accent, English is a close second.

Scottish is ew.

#41 Edited by wjb (1637 posts) -

Honestly, I don't really care. It's not really something I think about anymore.

I suppose I used to find British accents "sexy" when I was a kid, but then I've met my share of British people in the States over the years and a decent amount do not sound as sexy as I originally imagined.

#42 Posted by Damodar (1301 posts) -

I disapprove of the all-or-nothing stance of this poll.

#43 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Depends on the accent but certainly sexy more often than not.

#44 Posted by Jay_Ray (1070 posts) -

Yes, I find accents of any kind "sexier" then the native accent in my region.

#45 Posted by DillonWerner (1522 posts) -

Italian accents, Spanish accents, Australian accents, about all that I find attractive.

From USA

#46 Edited by NegativeCero (2976 posts) -

Yeah, I think accents can make a person more attractive. I don't know that I have a preference, but apparently Eastern European accents do it for me.

#47 Posted by SharkEthic (1004 posts) -

Depends.

Fact: Danny O'Dwyer becomes 67% more attractive when talking. So there's that.

I find the accent of russians yelling at me to go "fak you mutha" in Dota profoundly unattractive, though...

#48 Edited by ChrisHarris (275 posts) -

@artisanbreads said:

Girls with English accents are indeed really hot.

If you're talking about some kind of generic English accent ("BBC English" or "Received Pronunciation")... I can see that. Otherwise, there are some regional English accents which can have the opposite effect when coming from women.

EDIT: I think that's probably the way a lot of this works. I tend to like the "proper" accents from areas rather than the mangled regional versions.

#49 Edited by Dasacant2 (215 posts) -

I sometimes miss the New Zealand accent since I've moved to America. I also really like some of the American southern accents too.

#50 Edited by AndrewB (7490 posts) -

English (certain types), Australian, and southern belle-type American accents, definitely.