Are you going to watch the new Star Trek show?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Are you going to watch the new Star Trek show? (111 votes)

Yeah. I have CBS All Access, and I can't wait! 4%
No, I have CBS All Access, but don't plan on watching it. 1%
Yeah, I'm going to subscribe to CBS All Access so I can watch it! 7%
I wish. I like Star Trek, but I don't want to subscribe. 48%
No, I don't plan on watching it, and I don't have a subscription. 20%
Other 21%

I'm a big fan of Star Trek. I've always known about the show as I watched some episodes, and films when I was younger, but it wasn't until around 2010 or 2011 where I caught TNG on BBC, where they still show re-runs, that I wanted to watch all of them, so I started with TNG on Amazon Prime as I had already watched a bunch of episodes prior and felt liking finishing it first. Then I went onto the original series; DS9; Voyager, and then Enterprise. I liked all of them equally (though if I had to choose, I guess Enterprise is my least favorite). My favorite movie is First Contact, while the rest are either boring or just okay. The new movies from Abrams aren't what I want out of Trek, but I think the cast are likable, and the films for what they are were fun. Now that the new one is out, I am unfortunately not willing to subscribe to CBS All Access to watch the new one. I wish it was on TV as well. Furthermore, they just put out news that in 189 countries around the world, other than the U.S. and Canada, it'll be on Netflix.

• 
MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I remember hearing about the show, but I hadn't heard it was going to be on CBS All Access. I don't think I had ever even heard of CBS All Access.

As for watching the show, I do want to watch it, but I won't be able to. Not unless they decide to put it on TV and/or Netflix at some point.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

I'll subscribe just to watch it. I'm just hoping they do something cool with an Anthology. A Klingon season would be awesome.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd watch it but i'm not subscribing to some new thing for it, either put it on tv or on netflix/amazon prime. It's sad that with all these terrible shows on tv we can't get a new star trek on prime time anymore. With that said i don't know much or anything about it, is it the abrams universe or the original one?

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm gonna watch it but I'm outside of the US, so I guess it's Netflix for me

Avatar image for bernard_bernoulli
Bernard_Bernoulli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked "other" because we know literally nothing about the show except that it's directed by the guy who did Hannibal. I'm a huge Star Trek geek, but I usually don't watch stuff just because it's got the same name as something I like. If it looks good, I'll watch it. If it doesn't, I won't.

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So...there will be no legal means for Canadians to watch the show?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bernard_bernoulli: Well, yes, if it's dumb it's not worth watching, but I think it's okay to get excited over something or be interested in something before it's out, though my expectations aren't overly high for a few reasons. I may not even watch it though.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So...there will be no legal means for Canadians to watch the show?

Don't worry, you're in luck Bell Media has the rights to air it, so it will be in Canada, just, you know, through Bell. Link for proof.

If I hear good things about it and they put it out on dvd/blu-ray I'll watch it, otherwise I'm not subbing to anything for just one show. I just want them to do like Netflix does with their original shows and put them out on physical format.

TheMainTank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems insane to think that people will subscribe to some random new video service just to watch a single show. I don't know what numbers CBS looked at to think they could swing it, but it just doesn't compute in my worldview.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By korwin

I love Star Trek, I'm less enthusiastic about the reboot stuff since it's been mostly flash and little substance.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends. Is it going to be thought provoking, high concept Star Trek like TNG, DS9 and Voyager? Is it going to be dumb, fun Star Trek like the original series and Abrams remakes? Is it going to be your typical, modern TV show that's essentially soap opera in a fantastical setting?

This bit from Wikipedia has me tentatively hopeful:

Fuller explained that after the more than 700 Star Trek episodes already made, "we have to tell stories differently than they’ve been told for fifty years." Therefore, he looked to take advantage of the streaming format of All Access by telling a single story arc across the entire first season, which he and the writers had completely written by the end of June 2016. They had also broken the first six episodes at that point. Fuller stated that when he first met with CBS, the network did not have a plan for the series, and so Fuller and Kurtzman developed a story for the series "that ties in so many elements of Star Trek", taking certain episodes of the original series and using their "DNA" to find "the spirit of what Star Trek offers, both in terms of high-concept science fiction storytelling and really wonderful metaphors for the human condition."

If this doesn't preclude it being character drama in space, it at least somewhat eliminates the possibility that it'll be the brainless action Trek that Abrams cranks out.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@bernard_bernoulli: The Guy From Hannibal also did a lot of work on Voyager. Considering how polarizing that show seems to be for some people, this news should either excite or repel you.

I'm definitely watching it. I've been getting together with my dad lately to go back and give Enterprise a second chance and we've been really surprised how good that show is. I could definitely go for some new Star Trek.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Maybe...?

I have no idea how or when it will be released in the UK. I'd like to find out just to tell my Mum who has watched every Star Trek episode and film ever released here.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It's new Star Trek so sure I'll give it a shot.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dixavd said:

I have no idea how or when it will be released in the UK. I'd like to find out just to tell my Mum who has watched every Star Trek episode and film ever released here.

They announced yesterday that Netflix are distributing the new show internationally.

Avatar image for bernard_bernoulli
Bernard_Bernoulli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@relkin said:

@bernard_bernoulli: The Guy From Hannibal also did a lot of work on Voyager. Considering how polarizing that show seems to be for some people, this news should either excite or repel you.

I'm definitely watching it. I've been getting together with my dad lately to go back and give Enterprise a second chance and we've been really surprised how good that show is. I could definitely go for some new Star Trek.

Voyager was pretty bad, for the most part. It had a few good episodes (out of like 170). Mostly the problem with Voyager was that very few of its characters ever got used, and most episodes are just anomaly-of-the-week episodes where the crew technobabble their way out of some black hole or spacial anomaly, or Neelix episodes.

Enterprise was pretty bad until the last season, which actually started to get pretty good, until the ending.

Anyway, yeah, Bryan Fuller doesn't excite me too much (Hannibal is shot well, and that's kinda it), but if it looks good, I'll check it out.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I'll give all access a shot for a year. If the Star Trek sucks well that will be the one and only year. I cut the cord, so it not like I could watch in on normal CBS anyway. I have been kicking around the Idea on doing the Sony Vue at the Access Slim level. If Sony Vue added CBS All Access I would very seriously consider it.

With that said, I think what I want form Star Trek and what CBS or even other fans want is seriously divided. I want an optimistic show, but I also want more grit/realism. I woudl say I wnat ist VERY science fiction oriented. I want a positive spin on all technologies

Positive views on:

• Cloning
  • Cyborgs
  • Extended life spans
  • Robotics
  • Self aware/Self determined AI with a seat on the Federation Councile
  • Medical sciences that can save nearly anyone as long as the brain isn't destroyed
  • New human social structures like acceptance of polygamous relationships
  • Postive LGBTQA (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning, Asexual/Aromantic) stories

My other desire woudl be a ZERO new humanoid aliens. All new aliens on the show have to be totally not humanoid. So lots of animations, puppets, people on/in crazy armatures that distorts the function of arms, legs, and hands,...and of course some CG. Trek has too many humanoid aliens, so I want 50% of the humanoid aliens so far shown in the past 40 years to be never shown again - forgotten. It is time for true aliens. It time for aliens that don't speak English or have bumps on their forehead. Second that whole idea of all humanoid aliesn being related that came from an episode for TNG should be burned from the cannon....what a fucking stupid idea that was.

You might ask, if humans don't die where is the drama? The drama comes from the fact that death is rare! In a society where death is so rare the loss of life is shocking and tragic. In a world where "He's dead Jim" is said with just as much shock as Bones ones said it. That as the drama of "He's Dead Jim" death was considered rare because in the future only true tragic truly horrendous over-kill accents should kill anyone. Trek should be a show with no easy plot holes. In teh writers room there shoudl be a 10 foot tall poster that says "NO MacGuffins! NO Deus ex Machina aliens! NO convenient solutions! NO using the ship as a Greyhound bus or the Love Boat for diplomats!"

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

https://media.netflix.com/en/press-releases/netflix-to-beam-new-cbs-star-trek-television-series-in-188-countries-around-the-world

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I like Star Trek but I'm not getting CBS Access they are literally the worst network when it comes to scripted TV. All their shows are so hackneyed and appeal to the lowest common denominator. Explains why they are the number one network in America.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Other: I will watch the new Star Trek, and I will not subscribe to CBS All Access. Just as I have done for Game of Thrones. :P

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Apparently Netflix will be streaming the show outside of the US, so I won't need a CBS All Access.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Probably will watch it, but if I hear the tone is more akin to Abrams than the classic shows then I might skip it. Those movies are fine but that's not what ST is to me.

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am highly unlikely to subscribe to CBS All Access (Unless, hey, it includes giant bomb in that, which I already subscribe to.) I will probably watch a few episodes, and see how it goes from there. I want real trek, not Abrams trek though, and if it is heavily influenced by the new Abrams verse it will be a major turn off for me. It seems all flash and no real substance, and Into Darkness was probably the worst attempt to cash in on nostalgia without doing anything interesting with it I've seen. That said I am also not sure about the new setting between TNG and the OS movies, I would have preferred moving forward rather than back.

I want a good new trek series, but I haven't been impressed with the more recent stuff, and fear this will follow suit into being a flashy, but ultimately shallow series that attempts to appeal to a wide audience while forgetting everything that made trek the cultural touchstone it has become. Also, the fact it is locked behind an online subscription service makes me feel like we are unlikely to see a season two of this thing.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By Sterling

I didn't know there was going to be a new show until just now.

Guess I wont be watching this. I'm not paying $6 a month to watch a single show.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not going to subscribe even though I want to at least check out the first couple episodes. I'm not necessarily against the idea of subscription but at this point I've cut the cord when it comes to cable and I'm already subscribing to Netflix and Amazon Prime and I just don't have a real interest in adding another sub.

It's too bad because I was a huge TNG and DS9 fan and dabbled in all of the other series. I really think we could use a good ST series right now and I hope the new one turns out well but I have my limits in terms of time and effort.