Are you okay with Gay Marriage?

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
BiggerBomb said:
"SpaceInsomniac said:
"adam_grif said:
"Yes. Marriage is not a religious ceremony, although religions almost always have a ritual that they expect you to undertake when you get married. Marriage is a state affair, and is common to all human cultures. Thus homosexuals should be allowed to get married."
I have to say that it's funny you should post this, because it's exactly why McCain and Obama are BOTH against gay marriage.  Like it or not, marriage IS a religious ceremony, and both candidates oppose government enforcement of gay marriage it for that reason."

Obama feels it should be legal, he doesn't agree with it though."
During the VP debate, Biden made it quite clear that neither himself or Obama support gay marriage.  Civil unions yes, marriage no.
lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By lazyturtle
SpaceInsomniac said:
I have to say that it's funny you should post this, because it's exactly why McCain and Obama are BOTH against gay marriage.  Like it or not, marriage IS a religious ceremony, and both candidates oppose government enforcement of gay marriage it for that reason."

Religious marriage and civil marriage are different things. I would never dictate what a religion must do, it's really up to the followers of that religion. So if you belong to a religion that hates people for whatever reason that's your business. No religion can be forced to reconize human rights in any form. 

Civil marriage is a government sponsored contract between two people. This is totally different than the marriage concept of religion (despite having the same name). You can go get married in a church but it means nothing (leagally) until you get a marriage license from the government. In most places that I'm aware of the person performing the ceremony must also get a license from the state (so your priest or whatever has a license from the state that allows him/her to perform marriage ceremonies). So in this useage the word marriage should be allowed by all people who are of legal age.

If you want to be specific about it, everyone who is married is actually in a civil union. Civil unions should be allowed between any two consenting adults.