Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@l4wd0g said:

In Germany you have to choose from an approved list. :/

That's probably a great idea. Too many stupid parents give their kids stupid names and then those kids grow up getting bullied and harassed for having a stupid name and then they hang themselves or shoot their schoolmates. Sometimes both.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 23

#55  Edited By pyromagnestir

I sometimes name my RPG characters Kid when I can't think up something better. I suspect this is what would happen to my real life child provide I were ever in the position to have one.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

1. Kid Goldeneye
  2. Crunchy Atoms
  3. Backhanded Mu'tuffra
  4. Asus
bmgp778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For baby boy : Chris

For baby Girl: Ana

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Moxie CrimeFighter Jillette is still my #1 favorite existing made-up name. "Moxie" sounds natural, yet fuckin' rad. I don't know what I would name my own children though, I usually can't even make up my mind on custom video game character names.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I once met a girl in Hawaii from Arizona named Utah, though I may have some of that mixed up.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Canteu

@dudeglove: Arwen is a Welsh name. Tolkein didn't come up with it.

The Tolkein Elvish is inspired by the Welsh language.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I always found it annoying as a kid that I never got any say in my name. Like why do my parents get to assign this arbitrary name to me and I'm now obligated to use it for the rest of my life? It made me wonder often what kind of names people would have if instead of how we do it now kids got to pick their names when they turned like 10 or something, and until then parents just refereed to their kids as kid or child until they were old enough to choose a name. I'm sure there would be a lot of people running around with names of whatever cartoons were popular at that time.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

I appreciate some of the duuuuumb posts in this thread, got a few good laughs out of me.

@l4wd0g said:

In Germany you have to choose from an approved list. :/

Huh, didn't know that. Looking up more information on that led me to this article about baby name laws in different countries, which is pretty interesting. The examples of approved/not approved names for each country is funny. I want to be the kid from New Zealand who got named Midnight Chardonnay.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65  Edited By Ben_H

Locutus.

So when the smart fridges and other smart appliances he can be spared and used as a means to communicate with us lowly humans.

hippocrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crusader8463: because then everybody would be named Optimus, Mewtwo, and Scooby Doo. Hmmm... the idea has merit.

kryptinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My second daughter, who is now 3 months, is named Korra.

...so that was fun. My wife wanted to name her Cora and I said if we go with that name, it has to be spelled K-O-R-R-A. It's pretty awesome.

Avatar image for kristov_romanov
kristov_romanov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Symbols are cool:

Ÿ

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, yeah, call your kid whatever, but they're in for a lifetime of teachers and government workers and bank tellers and whoever asking them to spell their name because it is not in the usual pool of several thousand names that they've ever heard before. Also potential school yard mocking.

Name your kid Sephiroth.

You know what is scary is I know a chick who has told me if she ever has a boy she will name him that. I told her to look forward to him getting bullied hardcore and to set aside some cash so when he hit the legal min she could fund his name change.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#71  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Because people usually don't want to break away from normal societal conventions and customs. Naming you're kid understandably falls into that. I mean, you're giving a name to another human being. They have to take that with them for the rest of their lives. You don't want to end up cursing them with a shitty name. Sure, they can replace it eventually, but that can be a little troublesome in more ways than one. Certain titles can also come from special places, like longstanding family names, and in that case it's just a traditional aspect that comes into play.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#72  Edited By Aegon

Of course names reference the past. Language and communication has meaning because it references something familiar.

If you want to make up a nonsense name that doesn't reference anything , you're free to do so.

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Wrex... I'd name my kid that.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#74  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Wrex... I'd name my kid that.

Yeah, then name you're other kid Shephard. I think you can see where I'm going with this.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I wish I could name my kid Dragon. Then his name would be Dragon Hunter. I think I'll save dumb stuff for the middle name though. Give them a well known but not super common first name to fall back on.

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunter5024: Oh my god, there's this kid in my College Readiness Class that is named...it'll probably get me in trouble to say his name on the internet but let's just say he would have no problem fitting in with the Metal Gear characters!

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how about foot soapbottom

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd offer suggestions of my own, but this video would put them to shame.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matti00: I think "Ezra" is a good name.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By alwaysbebombing

@49th said:

So'Unique Miracle Randle

Beat me to it.

So here is mine

Nathan John Shephard Drake

Has anyone noticed the uptick in people naming their babies after My Little Pony Characters. Now that's fucked.

EDIT: I notice people are saying "for the rest of their life" a lot of countries let you change your name at like 18 or something.

AlecOfTheWest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alwaysbebombing: You've still got to put up with it for 18 years. Kids aren't nice, and it could have some reprocussions on him socially. Hell, I knew kids who got picked on for having last names like Cox, or even being named something like Richard.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I have a friend who named his kid Django Reiner, think of that what you will.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#83  Edited By meptron

Mantok Mindslayer

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#84  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Fattire, Samadams, Tecate, Indio, Se Armo, Buchanans, Steve Dave, Smidnight

TERMINATOR_FAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tommy

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I hear if you name your baby Turok there's a cash reward.

Niblets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chalupa Batman

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z

From a language perspective, Baby Names start out being words that either already exist meaning something parents want to feature in their children, or sound similar to a word whose meaning would like to be implied. In this way, all names at some point sounded crazy. Historically, new names catch on when they are similar enough to current names that people don't notice. The most obvious examples being alternate spellings of current names - though these also tend to get a big negative response due to the fallacy many people go through that Language and spelling are fixed rather than in actuality being in flux (that still doesn't mean I recommend doing that, I don't personally think it's worth the hassle the children are put through of always having to correct people spelling their own name). The other way for a new name to catch on is by it becoming popular through being the name of a famous person or fictional character. This then by extension gives the name meaning in the context of linking it to the attributes and accomplishments of this famous person and so it can break out of just being a nebulous phrase. Language is changing constantly and the names of people tend to reflect the growing change of culture. That said, many studies have gone into the way in which a person's name affects their life and in general it has been shown that having a familiar-yet-dominant sounding name brings with it a sense of success from those around (i.e. Bosses think employees with such names are better than their peers and promote them), it has then been theorised that these people are generally the ones given success early on and then continue the prevailing image of the name being a good name - so more people are given the name and so on. Hence, most people tend to be given a 'normal' name and then give their children 'normal' names, continuing on a set of names which are much more popular than others.

I vividly remember researching all of this when doing a project on fictional-vs-real name origins. Though I may have since forgotten elements and embellished it in my mind. I genuinely enjoyed looking this stuff up at one point, it's very interesting. Though you should seek out work from Historians, Philosophers and Psychologists yourself (as I'm not a very good source of information). Though, hopefully this sort of pointed you in the direction of things to look up to answer your curiosity. The Youtube channel VSauce did a pretty good video on names semi-recently, that might be a good place to start (their sources are in the description for you to look up more).

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

First off, I'm not having a kid or anything. I'm only 25 for christ sake. But I had this thought about baby names. Why isn't is acceptable to make up new names? Why have people been pulling from the same pool of names for like 100s of years or whatever? We live in a crazy time now, we know so much more about other cultures than even our parents did. Though I guess that doesn't help... I mean why does everything have to be a reference to something else these days. I bet there are two white people whos kid is named akira out there somewhere. is humanity just out of new ideas in general?

Whats the most original(and viable) baby name you can think of?

People are more conservative than they realize and will generally select a name based on external factors. Often that'll be the popularity and/or trend of the name, or its level of acceptance by society. It has little to do with ideas or lack of imagination, purely external. Unless they people naming the child are really stupid, then I guess all bets are off.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

This entire topic reminds me of that one episode of Regular Show where Rigby changes his name.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for lastthingyousee
LastThingYouSee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By LastThingYouSee
Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#92  Edited By Omega

Lord Elrond if it's a boy

Sha'Dynasty if it's a girl

hanktherapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Boy: Seven

Girl: Soda

I'm really disappointed in my fellow Giant Bombers for not throwing in a Seinfeld reference.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

So, I work in internet tech support.

You would be surprised how many people actually don't have typical names. I always have to ask them to spell it when they don't know any other account info.

TERMINATOR_FAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tommy sounds babyish.... it rymes with Mommy of course.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Vuud

Johann Gambolputty-de-von-Ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crass-cren-bon-fried-digger-dangle-dungle-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticolensic-grander-knotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumblemeyer-spelter-wasser-kurstlich-himble-eisen-bahnwagen-guten-abend-bitte-ein-nürnburger-bratwürstel-gespurten-mitz-weimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-schönendanker-kalbsfleisch-mittleraucher-von-Hautkopft of ULM.