Best Mexican Standoffs from fictional media? Possible spoilerzzz?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

I've been ordering me a storm of cheap-ass DVD's lately, and two of happened to be Reservoir Dogs (fantastic movie and likely one of my favourite of Tarantino's) and True Romance (Easily one of my favourite action-crime-romance-stoner movies of all time, which, coincidentally was the movie career debut for Tarantino with his writing of the script). I've already seen them, though Holy-Shag are they still a pair of brilliant flicks. What they both have in common--minus being Crime Movies, with Tarantino's involvement and also featuring Chris Penn, I guess--is they both end climatically with a Mexican Standoff; a standoff between a group of factions where every man is being stared down by a gun-sight and every faction is bound to suffer losses.

Reservoir Dogs is pretty straight forward far as they go, three guys all with pistols aiming at one another. There's the oft-brought up debate about who killed Nice Guy Eddie, but putting that aside it's still a bare-bones but non-the-less appropriately tense three-way. True Romance, however, is a fucking crazy house, with at least 10 guys all packing a variety of not only pistols, but shotguns and sub-machine skin-blistering motherfuckers. The standoff for Reservoir Dogs goes down pretty smoothly for the most part, and in only a matter of maybe 2 seconds? True Romance's instead opts for a complete massacre, that goes on for a short while, what with so many bodies to be dropped. Even with its sheer insanity and over-blown proportions, watching it now still has my gut twisting itself as I wait for Lee to throw the hot tea all over Elliot. Not to mention that True Romance features a huge cast of likeable characters, played by a huge cast of likeable character actors and/or soon-to-be lead actors, most of which are all huddled for this orgy of death, making it all the more incredibly nerve-wracking.

The whole Mexican Standoff thing is more of a cliche these days, but damn it is a fun one to watch across the years. Got me thinking then as to what others are out there and just what are peoples of the Giant Bombs favouritezezez. The most predictable would be the one from The Good The Bad and The Ugly, though since I saw that actual standoff before I saw the whole movie, it didn't have as much of an impact. I also put from ''fictional media'' because it got me curious to thinking how many there are in video-games and if there are any particularly notable entries. Plenty of duels to be sure (from RDR alone, naturally), though Mexican Standoffs? None really come to mind.

Anywhoo yeah, what be your favourites from this long-lasting trope? For reference, here's also the True Romance Mexican Clusterfuck (though I'd recommend if anyone hasn't already seen it, and likes themselves some colourful, characteristic crime movies, that they instead just watch the whole movie through)

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MrKlorox

I thought it was funny in that cutscene in Red Dead Redemption where one develops and someone asked what the situation is called, and someone (Marston?) responds, "Impasse." Like they were trying to avoid calling it by its colloquial name, even while in Mexico (I think).

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Doctorchimp

@MrKlorox said:

I thought it was funny in that cutscene in Red Dead Redemption where one develops and someone asked what the situation is called, and someone (Marston?) responds, "Impasse." Like they were trying to avoid calling it by its colloquial name, even while in Mexico (I think).

Yeah Landon Ricketts called it an impasse.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nottle

The good the bad and the ugly has one of the best build ups to 3 guys about to shoot each other ever.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By donchipotle

In Bruges

Unforgiven

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I have to go with the obvious answer. The Good The Bad and The Ugly. There's a reason why that movie is a classic.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By delta_ass

For me, it's gotta be the Shower Room in The Rock.

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 even ripped it off.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zeforgotten

@Delta_Ass said:

Agreed, and the soundtrack just makes it all the more epic

MidnightVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By MidnightVice

@Nottle said:

The good the bad and the ugly has one of the best build ups to 3 guys about to shoot each other ever.

This. All this right here. Sergio Leone was such a masterful director, and his direction combined with Morricone's amazing score is pure fucking ecstasy.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By august
@MrKlorox said:
My take on that scene was that the phrase hadn't been coined yet.

Also, it was awesome.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By Bruce

@Abyssfull:

Does Inglorious Bastards count?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead

John Woo's films with Chow Yun Fat have some excellent ones.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By SSully

I really wish this community would use screened more, they have great stuff over there.

This was made by Whiskey Medias very own Joey

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nottle

@SM5240: An ecstasy of gold, if you will.

Funny thing Is, The Good the Bad and the Ugly is maybe my favorite movie ever, but the only other Sergio Leone movie I've seen was a Fistfull of dollars.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HandsomeDead

@Nottle said:

@SM5240: An ecstasy of gold, if you will.

Funny thing Is, The Good the Bad and the Ugly is maybe my favorite movie ever, but the only other Sergio Leone movie I've seen was a Fistfull of dollars.

You really need to see For A Few Dollars More. I'd say it's the best in the whole trilogy.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By FourWude

Garcia 'Fucking' Hotspur??? He's Mexican and he's in a few standoffs in Shadows of the Damned.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By Yummylee

@Bruce said:

@Abyssfull:

Does Inglorious Bastards count?

Absotively. That and basically close to every other Tarantino movie has one in there somewhere. Just remembered the Diner scene too from Pulp Fiction, where Tim Roth tries to rob Samuel L. Jackson. One with a rather unique outcome, considering nobody actually gets shot in that one.

@SSully:

I go over to Screened plenty, and I read and watch close to everything they put up; I can never be bothered with the forums over there though, for whatever reason.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By Bruce

@Abyssfull:

I pick that, then. The one in Bastards had some fantastic dialogue leading up to it.

Avatar image for makoto_mizuhara_sakamoto
Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ZeForgotten said:

@Delta_Ass said:

Agreed, and the soundtrack just makes it all the more epic

I can top that... same movie, towards the end. *SPOILER ALERT*

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nottle

@HandsomeDead: I think I remember only seeing the end of the movie. Lee Van Cleef and Clint Eastwood were shooting some guys. They got the gold, Lee Van Cleef refused becuase all he wanted was a locket. And yeah I really should see that along with the other movie's he's made. I've heard good things.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming